8700K with ASUS Z370-P running at 800MHz

Apr 14, 2018
I recently got my computer a few months ago and it's been running fine, but like a week or two ago it started running super slow. I noticed that I wasn't getting the frames I should have been getting with my GTX 1070 Ti and on some games like GTA V I was getting 20-30 FPS standing still. This also happened with PUBG where I was getting 10-20 FPS with stuttering in frames and audio. Every time I, or someone around me shot it sounded like crinkling up a peppermint wrapper. I figured out that the audio is rendered with the CPU so I checked it on HWMonitor and CPU-Z and it was running at around 800 MHz. I noticed when I startup my computer it runs at its usual 4.4 GHz but It drops down almost Immediately. I checked in the BIOS to see if it was just the voltage but it has it running at 3.7 GHz which is the default clock speed. I saw a different thread on the ASUS forum that mentioned something about a Slow Mode for Liquid Nitrogen Overclocking that lowered the boot speed to 800 MHz but there was nothing about it with the Z370P so I don't know what's wrong. Please help, this is getting really annoying. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/hXNteEX

Solution
The issue is that your PC is stuck in power saving mode, or rather is "sticking" in power saving mode. Either a BIOS reset (clearing CMOS) and/or making sure in Windows performance/power saving mode is set to "full performance" should fix the issue.

dcvikes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
The issue is that your PC is stuck in power saving mode, or rather is "sticking" in power saving mode. Either a BIOS reset (clearing CMOS) and/or making sure in Windows performance/power saving mode is set to "full performance" should fix the issue.

Solution
Apr 14, 2018

My computer started off at about 4300MHz (it never hit anywhere near 4700MHz), but then it slowed down and stayed under 1200MHz. The issue was power saving mode as dcvikes said.

Apr 14, 2018

It was, thanks, after changing it to High Performance and doing a BIOS wipe it fixed it. I never thought that power saver would do that, thanks.

I used Balanced within WIndows power mngmt, and, it runs at 800 MHz while surfing forums, and at full turbo speeds while gaming....

(really no reason to sit at 4.7 GHz full time on 6 cores via MCE enabled, drawing/dissipating 135-200 watts to read horoscopes, etc..) :)

Win-Win!