8GB DDR3 1600 or above Sticks?

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I'm not sure 8GB DDR3 RAM sticks are available. From my searching all I can find are 8GB kits containing 2 4GB sticks, giving a total memory total of 16GB using 4 sticks in the four slots. I've also heard that Samsung recently started manufacture of 8GB RAM sticks, however, they don't appear to have hit the retail markets yet.
Keep in mind that the more RAM slots you populate, and the larger the capacity of your modules, the lower the maximum speed you can achieve with a given voltage and timings. At least that's been the case in the past.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
4 Slots with one 4GB stick per slot for a total of 16GB, not 24GB. The 2 X 4GB referred to the kits on the market offering 8GB total RAM. Sorry, should have put the X in there and phrased it more clearly. BTW, what do you need all this RAM for?

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Newegg does have a couple of kits that come with 8GB sticks, unfortunately they are all ECC RAM designed for server motherboards and won't work in desktop boards.

But the fact that there are kits with 8GB sticks available does mean with some searching you may be able to locate desktop kits with them as well if you search enough.

I am kinda disappointed w/ that MoBo,assuming newegg's specs correct, ..... $350 and ya still stuck with x8 PCI-E lanes with only twin SLI ??????

Instead I'd opt for the Revolution which is equipped with the NF200 chipset to provide the extra bandwidth, is in stock and is $80 cheaper. It also provides a firewire port, coaxial SPDIF out, whereas the Maximus gives more USB 3 ports (8 vs 2) and has the ROG features. No NF200 is a glaring omission on a $350 board

sarathymp

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

http://www.microcenter.com/search/ [...] 4294931867

pls check compatiability with mobo.
Thanks
Mohan