Question 8GB RAM ( 4GB USABLE )

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
Now i am using a Gigabyte 78LMT USB 3.0 and I'm having 2 x 4GB RAM.
I had installed both the ram in slot 3 & 4 but when i turned on the system it shows 8GB RAM ( 4 GB usable ).
Now i installed the RAM in slot 2 and 4 and now the system is showing 8GB RAM and all of it is usable.
Can you explain what is causing this.?
Thanks.

patelrom1992

Reputable
Jun 13, 2018
If you have 4 ram slots they are divided into groups A and B. You need to put your 2 sticks of RAM in either both A slots, or both B slots. They go slot 1 is A, slot 2 B, slot 3 A, Slot 4 B. Your motherboard manual should have explained this.
What i just noticed is that right now i have installed both my RAM in Channel 0: Slot 2 & Slot 4. When i install my RAM in Slot 1 ( Channel 1 ) and Slot 2 ( Channel 0 ) the system shows 8 GB RAM but only 4 GB usable.
RAM: EZY 4GB DDR3-PC1600-SG.
I googled it and it shows that it is a single channel RAM, so is that the reason i am not able to run in dual channel mode. ?

P.S: Both the sticks are identical.

What i just noticed is that right now i have installed both my RAM in Channel 0: Slot 2 & Slot 4. When i install my RAM in Slot 1 ( Channel 1 ) and Slot 2 ( Channel 0 ) the system shows 8 GB RAM but only 4 GB usable.
RAM: EZY 4GB DDR3-PC1600-SG.
I googled it and it shows that it is a single channel RAM, so is that the reason i am not able to run in dual channel mode. ?

P.S: Both the sticks are identical.

If you use slot 1 and slot 2, or slot 3 and slot 4, you will get this issue. Both sticks have to be in the same channel. Either Slot 1 and slot 3, or Slot 2 and slot 4.

RAM isn't single or dual channel. The motherboard is what sets that.

If you use a single stick, it will be recognized as single channel. If you use 2 sticks, and have them properly installed the motherboard will recognize that and make it dual channel. There may be a bios/EUFI option to change it as well in other motherboards.

EZY 4GB DDR3-PC1600-SG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynet-Desk...Ram-4GB-1Rx8-PC3-12800U-1600Mhz-/231634388534

Memory modules sold as Single modules have no guarantee to be compatible together if used in multiples.

Use of identical, exact match, same thing may give you a better chance of them working together over the use of random modules, but have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as a Single module.