Question 8K Video Compatible System

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I'm wondering if my computer will be good enough to edit 8K video, if I make one mod to it? I currently have an AMD Ryzen 5900 installed, and have a 1TB Samsung 980 SSD for the C drive. Windows 11. My GPU is rather weak, as it is only a GT 1030. But it supports the 4K screen I'm using to monitor picture. I would be using Adobe Premiere Pro for the 8K video editing. The only thing I'd be changing is the memory. It only has 16GB of DDR4 at the moment. I'd be looking at putting in 2 32GB sticks (4000 speed) of DDR4 to replace what I have now. Would I need more then 64GB, like 128GB? I don't want to spend money on 128GB, if 64 is sufficient. Currently as is my system doesn't like using 4K 200mb/s files in Adobe Premiere Elements 2021, as the picture breaks up quickly when trying to play those files in the program. I can watch the video file on its own (with out Premiere running), and its fine. The program itself just doesn't like playing those files. It will render them though.

So with what I mentioned, will my system be ok for 8K video? Or would I have to upgrade to the up and coming new Ryzen chips and use DDR5 memory, etc? I know what that kind of system, I'd be able to run the new Samsung 990 SSDs which are way faster. Any comments?

D

Deleted member 362816

I think you will be fine with 64GBs, When you say "edit" what do you really mean as it's hard to edit something when you can't even display the source material in it's original resolution "8k"

g-unit1111

Titan
The problem with video output is your GPU. The 1030 is only rated to max 4K resolution but you need a strong HDMI 2.0 connection to be able to achieve that. I think only the really high end GPUs (3060TI and above) are capable of outputting to 8K and again you would need a strong connection and monitor to be able to achieve that.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
There is no such thing as an 8k monitor for computers, so would I really need a high end gpu if it's only going to a 4k monitor anyway? The program would have to be able to play the 8k video in 4k to be able to play it for viewing. I'm not sure the ins and outs of that for Premiere Pro.

D

Deleted member 362816

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Ok. Last time I checked I didn't see any. Paying 5 grand Canadian for a monitor isn't in the books for me at the moment. I'd have to make due with the 4k one I have. I could upgrade my gpu though.

D

Deleted member 362816

Ok. Last time I checked I didn't see any. Paying 5 grand Canadian for a monitor isn't in the books for me at the moment. I'd have to make due with the 4k one I have. I could upgrade my gpu though.

Then I would advise to upgrade your GPU and stay with your 4K monitor. I wasn't trying to be rude, The people that I know that edit 8k footage are doing so to make money and a $4000 monitor is a drop in the bucket to them. That being said I see this is more of a hobby for you. You will get some pretty good gains out of a new GPU, I would try something middle of the road like a RTX 3070.3060'ti to benefit your editing times etc.