8K9A7I - CMOS checksum error

sb

Hi. I just got a 8K9A7I motherboard and an Athlon XP 2600+. After putting it
together, I booted it up for the first time and am getting the following
error -"CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". It then just hangs at the
post screen, showing the processor, memory, memory clock speed and all IDE
drives. All the of the post info is correct, except the processor and FSB,
which it shows as "AMD Athlon XP 1600MHz(100x16.0), FSB 200". It also shows
the "Press F1 to conitue, DEL to enter SETUP", but pressing those keys does
nothing. I assume if I could get into SETUP, a simple setting change would
make it detect the processor and FSB correctly. I tried clearing the CMOS by
moving the jumpers from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and back to pins 1-2, then holding
down the DEL key when booting. It still would not go into SETUP (this is
what the manual said to do). Next, the bios date on the POST screen is
10/23/2003, so I went out and grabbed the latest bios using another machine,
which is dated 3/24/2004. I extracted the bios files to a floppy and booted,
but it won't boot to the floppy to flash the bios.
Has anyone else had this problem? I ordered this board from pricewatch and
the company I ordered from was EXTREMELY slow in shipping it - it took 10
days before it even left their warehouse! I really don't want to have to
send this back to them and wait for a new board to be sent. Any ideas on
what I can do?

Thanks in advance!
SB

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 07:52:12 -0400, "SB" <voador79@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi. I just got a 8K9A7I motherboard and an Athlon XP 2600+. After putting it
>together, I booted it up for the first time and am getting the following
>error -"CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". It then just hangs at the
>post screen, showing the processor, memory, memory clock speed and all IDE
>drives. All the of the post info is correct, except the processor and FSB,
>which it shows as "AMD Athlon XP 1600MHz(100x16.0), FSB 200". It also shows
>the "Press F1 to conitue, DEL to enter SETUP", but pressing those keys does
>nothing. I assume if I could get into SETUP, a simple setting change would
>make it detect the processor and FSB correctly. I tried clearing the CMOS by
>moving the jumpers from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and back to pins 1-2, then holding
>down the DEL key when booting. It still would not go into SETUP (this is
>what the manual said to do). Next, the bios date on the POST screen is
>10/23/2003, so I went out and grabbed the latest bios using another machine,
>which is dated 3/24/2004. I extracted the bios files to a floppy and booted,
>but it won't boot to the floppy to flash the bios.
>Has anyone else had this problem? I ordered this board from pricewatch and
>the company I ordered from was EXTREMELY slow in shipping it - it took 10
>days before it even left their warehouse! I really don't want to have to
>send this back to them and wait for a new board to be sent. Any ideas on
>what I can do?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>SB

Try changing the flat battery on motherboard, cured mine!

sb

Thanks, I actually tried that after posting this. I read it on the web, so I
went out and bought another battery, but no luck.

Thanks anyway!

SB wrote:
> Hi. I just got a 8K9A7I motherboard and an Athlon XP 2600+. After
> putting it together, I booted it up for the first time and am getting
> the following error -"CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded". It then
> just hangs at the post screen, showing the processor, memory, memory
> clock speed and all IDE drives. All the of the post info is correct,
> except the processor and FSB, which it shows as "AMD Athlon XP
> 1600MHz(100x16.0), FSB 200". It also shows the "Press F1 to conitue,
> DEL to enter SETUP", [...]

Do you have a jumper on the mainboard for 100 - 133/166MHz FSB ?
If so, set it to 133/166 and try again.