Question 8TB SSD not showing up in Gigabyte Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10

Jan 21, 2024
HI folks,
I've seen a couple other posts with this issue but none fully resolved... I'm having the same issue with my build, similar Gigabyte Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10 motherboard.

Unable to see my 8TB Samsung 870 QVO in explorer or anywhere else.

This is on my new build Gigabyte Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10. Bios version FE from 7/24/2023 (in process of updating that now)

The drive was first used as a dump and backup drive on a different PC, connected via a Sabrent USB docking station, works totally fine there, shows up in Disk Management in BOTH computers when connected via the Sabrent (usb 3.0 port)

However, when I pop the drive into a free SATA port on the new motherboard, it doesn't show at all in the bios (all the SATA ports show nothing installed), and doesn't show in Disc Management.
Doesn't show up in Diskpart.exe.

It was formatted as NTFS, GPT, one single volume coming in at just under 8TB of course.

I'm an experienced computer user, I've built many rigs, I don't know what the eff is wrong. I'm about to throw an older smaller SSD in to see if it reads but have to pull it from my laptop to test so thought I would leave a post here to see if any resolution to this issue might be forthcoming. Looks like the trail dies off back in May.

The one significant issue perhaps affecting this, but not sure how exactly, is that I just setup a raid0 on two of the NVME drives, but these are on a separate bus, are working fine. Did enabling the raid somehow shut down the SATA ports??

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MssHgXaX3DL63Q2u5

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Gigabyte Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10 motherboard.
You're not on PCB revision 1.0. I figured that out after I went looking for the board's support page. Rev 1.0 doesn't have BIOS FE listed but Rev 1.x does
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z790-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios
That being said, you have BIOS versions pending update. Flash your BIOS to version FH. Once you've verified that the BIOS was flashed successfully, power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display. Remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds(to drain any residual power), then replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes.

Which SATA port do you have the SSD hooked up to?

On second thoughts, please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Jan 21, 2024
thanks for your reply! cripes you just saved me some pain on the bios and board versions.
Going to flash to FH now and see what happens, will update here when done.