Question 8th gen vs 9th gen intel cpu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, while reading some information about the intel Z390 chipset, it said "Remember, though, that the 9th generation of Coffee Lake has better Turbo speeds, a greater number of cores, improved thermal performance and fixes for the infamous Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities". I'm looking to build a new PC and want to use an 8th gen i7 processor. what's this infamous meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities?

this may be a stuipid question, but are there any applications or situations in which you would need hyper threading for it to work?
Hyper threading is just using unused resources on a CPU to increase performance. Any application that is multi-threaded will use extra cores, hyper threading, or both if the CPU has it to increase performance. Therefore there isn't any application that requires HT to work.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
for the 9700k, i read in this article that "In theory, this purported gold-plated solder replacing the thermal paste Intel has used in the past will be a much more efficient heat transfer medium.". what's that about? I don't need thermal glue when connecting the cooler?

for the 9700k, i read in this article that "In theory, this purported gold-plated solder replacing the thermal paste Intel has used in the past will be a much more efficient heat transfer medium.". what's that about? I don't need thermal glue when connecting the cooler?
Heat transfer material under the lid of the CPU. Still needs thermal paste between the CPU & cooler.

Solder just helps it get the heat from the cores to the lid of the CPU more efficiently. Intel used to use solder before Ivy Bridge (3000 series) debuted. Sandy Bridge chips were EXCELLENT overclockers in their time, largely due to the solder TIM and conservative stock clocks.

No you will still need thermalpaste when you attach your HSF. This just means that Intel adhered the heat speader with solder instead of thermal paste. That means that heat is tranferred from the CPU to the heat spreader better which means temps will be lower since more heat can be carried away with the HSF.

InvalidError

Titan
This just means that Intel adhered the heat speader with solder instead of thermal paste. That means that heat is tranferred from the CPU to the heat spreader better which means temps will be lower since more heat can be carried away with the HSF.
Except solder TIM (STIM) isn't working that much better for Intel because Intel had to make the die and TIM thicker to spread out thermal expansion and contraction stresses to ensure the die won't crack, negating most of the solder's thermal conductivity advantage. Many overclockers bemoaned the loss of relatively easy delidding from this.