velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, while reading some information about the intel Z390 chipset, it said "Remember, though, that the 9th generation of Coffee Lake has better Turbo speeds, a greater number of cores, improved thermal performance and fixes for the infamous Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities". I'm looking to build a new PC and want to use an 8th gen i7 processor. what's this infamous meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities?

Just google them it will be all over the web. They are ways in which people hack Intel computers
But that is nothing compared to the new hacks that have been discovered a few days ago which cripple ALL intel computers made in the last 10 years.
AMD doesn't suffer with these hacks and performance losses.
You may want to read this on Toms
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-amd-mitigations-performance-impact,39381.html

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
9th gens are too expensive right now. they seem to have more cores and lower speeds. I know photoshop doesn't benefit from alot of cores and I doubt playing movies will use all those cores either.

You must be comparing the 8700K (6c/12t) to 9700K (8c/8t)
1 core = 1.5 threads, so core-wise the two are basically the same, despite the thread count difference.
The 9700K has higher frequencies for each number of loaded cores if you're not going to be OCing.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
yes i was looking at the 9700k. the speed is pretty much the same as the 8700k, just a touch faster but I doubt one would notice a difference. I don't understand what you are saying about the thread count. and the 9700k is more expensive. so if the core speeds are about the same and I wouldn't benefit from the extra 2 cores, why would I pay more? unless i'm looking at this wrong, which wouldn't surprise me. I build a machine every 10 years so when I need to build a new PC, i need to learn everything again.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
You must be comparing the 8700K (6c/12t) to 9700K (8c/8t)
1 core = 1.5 threads, so core-wise the two are basically the same, despite the thread count difference.
The 9700K has higher frequencies for each number of loaded cores if you're not going to be OCing.
Whoa there, that statement could make a computer scientist shed a tear. The 9700K outperforms the 8700K in all tasks with 8 true cores compared to 6 with Hyperthreading. Get the 9700K for the minimal price difference, you're getting 33% more cores for less than a 33% price increase when compared to the 8700K.

Reactions: captaincharisma
The 9700K outperforms the 8700K in all tasks with 8 true cores compared to 6 with Hyperthreading. Get the 9700K for the minimal price difference, you're getting 33% more cores for less than a 33% price increase when compared to the 8700K.
Whoa there, that statement could make a computer scientist shed a tear. Hyperthreading can add 35-40% performance.Look at 9900k vs 9700k.
If you have a task with specifically 8 threads (extremely unrealistic) then the 9700 will be the clear winner but other than that it's a toss up.
102017.png

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Whoa there, that statement could make a computer scientist shed a tear. Hyperthreading can add 35-40% performance.Look at 9900k vs 9700k.
If you have a task with specifically 8 threads (extremely unrealistic) then the 9700 will be the clear winner but other than that it's a toss up.
102017.png
You're telling everyone that eight threads is "extremely unrealistic" while displaying a screenshot of blender benchmarks that take advantage of 16 threads. I enjoy seeing this contradictory argument.

Hi all, while reading some information about the intel Z390 chipset, it said "Remember, though, that the 9th generation of Coffee Lake has better Turbo speeds, a greater number of cores, improved thermal performance and fixes for the infamous Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities". I'm looking to build a new PC and want to use an 8th gen i7 processor. what's this infamous meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities?
I just did an upgrade from an i7 6700k. I also went band forth between the i7 8700k and i7 9700k. Price really wasn't a issue. My only thought was the fact that they keep adding cores, but they are lagging when it comes to software optimization the take advantage of it. I went with the i7 8700k, but it was a pretty much 6 of one thing and half dozen of the other thing for me. Anyway, admittedly, I have only run into a small number of Multicore Optimization issues and they came from a disk installation and not one from a Client such as Steam, GoG, or Origin ( which I do not like ).

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
the last PC I built was my own PC which has an i7-2600k. its still pretty fast. I'm building this new PC to double as my replacement PC and an HTPC for my basement HT. so for Photoshop and watching movies, which would be better, i7-9700k or i7-8700k?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I just did an upgrade from an i7 6700k. I also went band forth between the i7 8700k and i7 9700k. Price really wasn't a issue. My only thought was the fact that they keep adding cores, but they are lagging when it comes to software optimization the take advantage of it. I went with the i7 8700k, but it was a pretty much 6 of one thing and half dozen of the other thing for me. Anyway, admittedly, I have only run into a small number of Multicore Optimization issues and they came from a disk installation and not one from a Client such as Steam, GoG, or Origin ( which I do not like ).

I don't get it. So you're saying you should have gotten the i7-9700k?

Whoa there, that statement could make a computer scientist shed a tear. The 9700K outperforms the 8700K in all tasks with 8 true cores compared to 6 with Hyperthreading. Get the 9700K for the minimal price difference, you're getting 33% more cores for less than a 33% price increase when compared to the 8700K.
1:1.5 is a rough comparison that's easy math for most people. Hyperthreading isn't a zero gain (as you seem to be insinuating). You're getting 33% more physical cores with the 9700K, but that's not going to result in a 33% performance uptick over the 8700Ks 12 threads in most applications.
Benchmarks are a bit tricky since core count isn't the only difference between the 8700K and 9700K. Stock frequencies for various numbers of loaded cores is also different.

Here's the thing. The 8700K is no slouch. The OP still hasn't said how much (%) the price difference is on the 9700K, but at some point it could exceed the performance gain.

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
1:1.5 is a rough comparison that's easy math for most people. Hyperthreading isn't a zero gain (as you seem to be insinuating). You're getting 33% more physical cores with the 9700K, but that's not going to result in a 33% performance uptick over the 8700Ks 12 threads in most applications.
Benchmarks are a bit tricky since core count isn't the only difference between the 8700K and 9700K. Stock frequencies for various numbers of loaded cores is also different.

Here's the thing. The 8700K is no slouch. The OP still hasn't said how much (%) the price difference is on the 9700K, but at some point it could exceed the performance gain.
It is not a zero gain, but having 8 physical cores is better than having 6 hyperthreaded cores. There is a reason Intel made the decision to give the 9th generation i7 8 cores instead of 6 with hyperthreading. It's not going to result in a 33% performance increase in most applications, but there is a performance increase of some percentage in all applications.

For the money I personally don't think the 8700K and 9700/9900K CPUS are worth the money. Going Ryzen you will get very similar performance, currently Intel has the IPC & Clock Speed advantage, about 5-10% difference typically in favor of Intel. However, to get that added performance you have to spend about 50% more money. That extra money could be far better used being put to a bigger or better SSD or GPU so for the same money you will have a faster gaming machine with AMD since you can get a faster GPU.