90-100% Disk Space Usage. 300gb Free. Tried playing with Pagefile.

ChrisRab

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
My problem is 100% the same as the one discussed here: http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/13390-100-disk-usage.html

Except I never saw a definite conclusion.

There is a similarly worded question in the forums that says solved but I did not feel that it fully related to my situation. I am having an issue where my disk usage says it is at 90-100% even though it shows that I am using less than a megabyte of disk space. I have set pagefile to off, default, 16gb, 500mb but the same thing keeps happening. When I set pagefile to off it simply stayed at 100% even though everything seemed to be running OK. I have 8GB RAM and an updated BIOS. The 100% usage doesn't slow down my games at all but it does slow down the opening speed of files and internet browsing.

I don't know if this is a separate issue, but sometimes when I am browsing the internet on any browser my Disk usage will show 100% and my PC will freeze for a variable 2 minutes, although I can still use my mouse. My PC is fully protected, I've been experiencing it since the first week that I built my PC. I even experienced the problem on my old laptop, but they are 100% independent. Windows Vista killed itself and my Hard Drive was damaged on my old laptop so I never had a chance to transfer files.

My Build:
MoBo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3 AMD
CPU: AMD FX-6300 6-Core
GPU: EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked
RAM: Mushkin STEALTH 8gb DDR3 (2x4gb) @1600ghz
Power: Corsair CX600 ATX12V
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5in OEM

Commonly Used Applications:
Microsoft Office 2013
Steam and all my games
Google Chrome
AVG Free 2014

ChrisRab

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

I'm not a computer expert, just computer competent. I am open to learning so feel free to explain the differences between the two but keep in mind that I still have a problem that I would like solved.

jajeczny

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
i had same problem after upgrade to win8. i've searched many forums and im my case solution was simple:
it seems windows defender is constantly scanning drives to check for viruses and malware.

you must exclude your data folders or entire discs (photos, documents etc accordind to your preferences) from windows defender REALTIME protection.
i leaved it valid for entire c drive and downloads folder, and my response time dropped from 3000-10000ms to 0-15ms! dick usage also lowered from 100% to normal values.

ChrisRab

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

But I'm not using Windows Defender. I'm using AVG and Windows FireWall.

Roden

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

In my case AVG was the data usage thief.
I disabled "Scan system environment" under Whole computer scan in settings.
I hope this wont pose a problem in the future, but i suppose i should be good with scheduled scan once a week.
Disk usage is down to under 10% at all times now, good stuff!! :)

TRENDING THREADS