Question Very low noise in headphones

Apr 30, 2024
I hear a very quiet noise in the headphones, it is very similar to random tinnitus, only quieter.
Increasing the sound enhances it (using a potentiometer) and turning it to 0 removes the sound. Also changing the connector in Realtek from headphones to “Front speaker output” reduces noise, but also reduces the volume of the headphones themselves. I suspect that this may be due to the fact that the computer is not grounded. Headphones are connected to the rear audio jack. The headphones themselves are fine, because when connected to the phone there is no noise.
Perhaps someone had the same problem, or is there some solution? Thanks in advance for an answer

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I suspect that this may be due to the fact that the computer is not grounded.
PC is grounded, via PSU.

Headphones are connected to the rear audio jack. The headphones themselves are fine, because when connected to the phone there is no noise.
My guess, headphones themselves have poor EMI filter (electromagnetic interference).

Not much to do in this case, other than using better quality headphones.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You say the noise you hear IS affected by the volume setting. That suggests the problem is in the INPUT to the audio system, and not in the headphones themselves. However, that can be difficult to hear clearly. So, what is the source of the audio input? Does this happen no matter what source you are listening to, or only for certain ones like the Mic?

You say also that the sound is weaker when you plug the headphones into the front panel socket. That is unusual. It MAY be that the only reason the front socket gives you less noise is that it gives you less ALL SOUND and the difference may disappear if you do this. Check the settings of your sound system to verify that BOTH the rear panel and the front panel outputs are set to max volume, so that all control of volumes is set by the "master" and all outputs are the same.