Question 90% sure my computer is overheating. Don't know where to start.

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
So couple days ago I was playing online, computer turned off, it restarted itself and I logged back on continued playing, no drama. Next day I played again and like before it restarted (sooner this time) but it wouldn't reboot, after 0.5s it would restart and start an endless cycle of rebooting itself. So this is why I think it's overheating.
Re applied some fresh new thermal paste this morning, booted up, after 2 minutes it restarted.
No hardware changes. No updates were done recently.

Please help!

Gigabyte Z87X-UD5H
I5 4670
Gigabyte Gtx 1060
Corsair HX650 PSU
Corsair vengeance 4x4gb kit
Corsair h80i GT cooler
500gb WD HDD
Ocz agility SSD
1x optical drive

stormman34

Reputable
Dec 17, 2018
I would first check temperatures with some program made for it ((like AIDA 64) if you can install it and read it in time) and if the temps are normal I would blame the PSU.

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
I'd love to check the temperatures, but unfortunately, like I said in the post it reboots after 0.5s of being turned on!!!

This being said. I did manage to get into BIOS. Temperatures were reading 27-30c across the board.

Got into safe mode too, then after 5 mins it rebooted. Got a kernel power failure ID 41 from event viewer before it turned off again. Don't suppose that helps?

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Have you tried doing the Clear CMOS?
Try minimalistic setup
Remove GPU, SSD and HDD, leave 1 stick of ram, plug monitor into motherboard and see if it does same thing.
Yeh brother, just tried this, lasted longer but rebooted nonetheless and then back to a quick 0.5s restart loop.
Which makes me think something has reached its temperature threshold.

I can leave it for a while so that it cools down and it will boot up again. But inevitably reboot!

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Where is the psu located? Bottom of the pc upside down (fan on the bottom)?
This is correct.

I bought a new one, it was working fine until I went back on my game again (League of Legends - if that makes a difference) after about 25mins it powered down and restarted. It's since been powered on for a further 30 mins. Seems better, but not working right :(

Do you hear the pump working on watercooling? Do you feel one tube hot and other cold?
Do you have any stock/heatsink for CPU? Just to rule out watercooling.

Yes, pump working, software shows it to be, and I've physically checked.

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Taken water cooling out of the equation by installing stock CPU cooler. No change, won't boot. Tried 1 stick of ram still nothing.

For the benefit of people who are just joining the thread:

Computer is instantly restarting itself after powering on, not even a full second elapses before it restarts.

Can confirm not a problem with memory, CPU cooler or PSU.

Thoughts?

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
i had a computer that wouldnt start when pressing the power button that turns out that the wiring from the front panel connectors was loose.
check the connectors from the front panel? the wires from the power button and reset button. pull out the cable for reset button and just leave the wire from the power button.

you can also try remove all the connectors and short the two pins that the power button is connected to with a screwdriver.
remove the screwdriver if it turns on. obviously but just in case so you dont get electricuted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BEUnJSgEE

Last edited:

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
i had a computer that wouldnt start when pressing the power button that turns out that the wiring from the front panel connectors was loose.
check the connectors from the front panel? the wires from the power button and reset button. pull out the cable for reset button and just leave the wire from the power button.

you can also try remove all the connectors and short the two pins that the power button is connected to with a screwdriver.
remove the screwdriver if it turns on. obviously but just in case so you dont get electricuted.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0BEUnJSgEE
I'll give it a try, thanks very much

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
your last step is getting the motherboard out of the case put it on a table or cardbox and try with one ram stick. connect only psu. no hdd or graphics card. try starting it by shorten the pins. if it boots it means you had a short in the case.

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
I tried removing the front panel connectors from the equation, that failed to work also. I gave up, taken it in to a repair shop, hopefully it's not dead :(
Thanks for help guys, I will let you know what they find, just in case any of you are curious cats, like me.

Lloyd1987

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
When I got the computer back it worked for a while, but now it's just doing the same thing. I've always used 'sleep' instead of ever shutting it down. I'm using windows 7 still. Recently I noticed that if I shut down the computer properly, it would in fact boot up ok. however even this has failed now. I believe it's possible that the motherboard has simply died.

BUT I am writing this message from the affected computer. Sometimes it works?!

It's so infuriating not knowing what's causing the problem ::(