- - > 920 D @ 20C < - -

Yullin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Good day

I installed my new ASUS motherboard and the Intel 920 D ( dual core, 2.66 Ghz, 65nm).

The concern I have is that the hardware monitor and ASUS temperature utility report the processor running at 20 degrees C. Surely this can not be possible. Even my old Pentium 3 would run at 38 degrees C.

My voltage is jumping around alot, though with minor amounts.

Could the temp reading be related to the fact that I only have a 300W power supply.

My motherboard temp is 30 degrees C.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
your mobo indicator may be correct...take a look in the bios/hardware health also.........you cannot compare you cpu with your older pentium 3
920 is 65nm ..... and your p3 is probably 350nm....

ex.........old prescott (478 socket) had 60 degrees at boot and 80 in load
new prescott (775 lga) has arround 30 at boot and same 40 in full load
new prescott is also known as prescott 2M (with 2m cache) and has double transistors

my personal cpu, intel 630, is built in 90nm tehnology and has a max recorded temperature of same 43 degrees...also used venice whitch had about the same temperatures ..and clawhammers with were very hot ..they could even reach 90 degrees....i must admit my case is quite crowded.....and i also has a lot of heat sources..like a huge video card ..with a huge fan :evil: ..........

your temperature is normal..it will reach..i presume same 30..35 degrees in load......install 3dmark2001 use it for one hour ..and watch the temperature then.....

good luck my friend

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
your mobo indicator may be correct...take a look in the bios/hardware health also.........you cannot compare you cpu with your older pentium 3
920 is 65nm ..... and your p3 is probably 350nm....

ex.........old prescott (478 socket) had 60 degrees at boot and 80 in load
new prescott (775 lga) has arround 30 at boot and same 40 in full load
new prescott is also known as prescott 2M (with 2m cache) and has double transistors

my personal cpu, intel 630, is built in 90nm tehnology and has a max recorded temperature of same 43 degrees...also used venice whitch had about the same temperatures ..and clawhammers with were very hot ..they could even reach 90 degrees....i must admit my case is quite crowded.....and i also has a lot of heat sources..like a huge video card ..with a huge fan :evil: ..........

your temperature is normal..it will reach..i presume same 30..35 degrees in load......install 3dmark2001 use it for one hour ..and watch the temperature then.....

good luck my friend

My claw rarely goes over 45C so i dunno where you are getting 90 from other than from you ass.

Yullin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Thanks Fainis :)

The temp jumps alot. It will move between say 20 - 23 degrees in 2 seconds and then back down again and keeps cycling like that. I think that is what leads me to wonder how accurate the sensor is and whether it is infact defective.

Is my 300W power supply sufficient. I have 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives. 1 Gig Ram and the D 920 processor ?

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
90..sorry....a little high must admit...the one i had......was arround 50 at boot and usualy during normal operation stood arround this temperature ... the hottest got in fear .... it could reach easily 70 or even 80 degrees ..... i used the bios monitor to alarm me

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
it`s quite to the limit unless you have a video card that drains a lot of power......if you use a video on board is enough.........use 3dmark01 or other benchmark utility ... insert one cd in each drive ...... do a little scan in the background ..open the winamp etc...if the sistem is stable for same time lets say one hour ..it`s ok..if not (restart should occur) upgrade the psu

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I hear ya... I just put together a Pentium D 805 and have it clocked to 3.5 GHz. When I load up both cores to 100%, all I get is 42C. From what I've read, that can't be right. On the other hand, I can't detect any CPU throttling under these high loads with Throttlewatch, so it's staying under that temp with just the stock cooler (which is pretty monsterous by the way)

My theory is that Intel is either making some very good progress in their later steppings, or more likely they have simply recalibrated their thermal diodes on these later chips to read much lower as a way to deflect all the criticism of their heat problems!

"Is my 300W power supply sufficient. I have 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives. 1 Gig Ram and the D 920 processor ?
"

That's a bit on the small side for a dual core with 2 hard drives, 2 dvd drives, etc....; I'd personally be more comfy with a 450 watt unit, although I doubt that is related to your temp monitoring issue...

(Does the mainboard's BIOS report the same abnormally low cpu temperatures?)

Yullin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
My Bios shows that the processor is also running at these low temps.

I ran a avi - DVD conversion last night. The temperature did not go above 30 degrees C. The motherboard was sitting at 35 degrees C.

I am really surprised. Normal operating temperature is now 20 degrees C and motherboard is 30 degrees C

Given that my temp sensor is not faulty, it really is amazing how cool the processor runs compared to all the reports I have read about sky high temeratures of previous P4s.

Any way I can check that the speed-step or any other throttling process is not perhaps kicking in?