92mm to 120mm fan adapter performance question

• Thread starter Deleted member 362816
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 362816

Quick question.

Working with a dell case. There is only room for 2 92mm fans one at the front and one on the back. They are just not cutting it.

Case transplant is not a option.

If I use a 92mm to 120mm fan adapter that is sealed will it improve airflow even with the smaller opening and exit using a fan like a sp120 or riing 120 high static pressure.

Simple answers are good enough for me.

Adapter-

https://www.coolerguys.com/products/nexus-fan-adapter-80mm-92mm-to-120mm-cfa-300?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=17666695557&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItOiZoNHJ1wIVicJkCh1tSwI7EAQYASABEgLoVPD_BwE

Solution

Airflow 101: Why static pressure fans are not required.
If the restriction is on the intake side, you still are going to make good airflow on the output side.
VxSKGww.jpg

The fan will always push air out the back at 40 cubic feet per minute.
The smaller opening in front means the speed of the air being sucked in will move faster and WILL MAKE NOISE.
The restriction will make the fan work harder and use more power, but it will work.
The grill or holes or vents in the case will make...
D

Deleted member 362816

Static pressure fans are better when there is a bottleneck, 92mm to 120mm is a bottleneck, Are you sure I should go with AF?

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Yes I am sure.

#1. Going from 92 mm to 120 mm in the adapter is the reverse of a bottleneck. It is an expansion.
#2. There is no bottleneck in back of the fan where the air comes out.
#3. You want a much flow as possible to cool your PC, anything inside of your PC will not bottleneck a fan.
#4, Static Pressure fans are needed for radiators where the fan is right against the fins that restrict airflow.

#5. Bottleneck is never the right word for use with PC components. The proper term is 'Imbalanced".

18buy3.jpg

D

Deleted member 362816

The opening is 92mm I am converting it to 120 how is this not imbalanced? The hole is smaller then the fan.... putting. 400 HP engine in a car will not matter if the transmission is not upgraded. Nice meme great place for that.

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010

Airflow 101: Why static pressure fans are not required.
If the restriction is on the intake side, you still are going to make good airflow on the output side.
VxSKGww.jpg

The fan will always push air out the back at 40 cubic feet per minute.
The smaller opening in front means the speed of the air being sucked in will move faster and WILL MAKE NOISE.
The restriction will make the fan work harder and use more power, but it will work.
The grill or holes or vents in the case will make more of an influence over the fans performance than the adapter.
But again, the fan is not pushing air into those holes, it is pushing air into a relatively open case with no static pressure.

Static Fan = Faster & Louder
Airflow 37.85 CFM
Static Pressure 1.29 mm/H20
Sound Level 23 dBA
Speed 1450 RPM
Power Draw 0.08 A

Airflow Fan
Airflow 39.88 CFM
Static Pressure 0.5 mm/H20
Sound Level 21 dBA
Speed 1100 RPM
Power Draw 0.08 A

Not much difference really.

Trust me.
I have a Master's degree in engineering.
Besides, fans are cheap. Give it an experimental try. I bet it helps.
If you are convinced I am wrong and want to use SP fans anyway go ahead, that will work too.

edit: Skip to 13:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzVEntltaBY&t=776s

Solution