[SOLVED] 95º with Ryzen 9 3900X and Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Hello all,

I recently built a new desktop with Ryzen 9 3900X and Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240.
I suspect something is not right, because when i stress test with Ryzen Master for 30 seconds, the temperature will jump to 95º, and when i run 12 memtest with 2GB each (24GB) CPU will lock at 94-95 too...
In idle the temperature is around 45-52º with room temperature of about 25º...

Is this normal? :/

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Solution
F
Hello all,

I recently built a new desktop with Ryzen 9 3900X and Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240.
I suspect something is not right, because when i stress test with Ryzen Master for 30 seconds, the temperature will jump to 95º, and when i run 12 memtest with 2GB each (24GB) CPU will lock at 94-95 too...

Thanks in advance
did you remove any plastic that may have been protecting the cold plate?

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Phantek Eclipse P600S
MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon WiFi
Ryzen 9 3900X
Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 240
Corsair TX650W
G Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3200 CL14
Wester Digital SN750 1TB
Gigabyte RTX 2060 SUPER Gaming OC 3X 8GB

The idle temperature is 45º, and when i click on all tabs in chrome and go to ryzen master, it is at least at 55º (i do this in 1 or 2 seconds), and rapidly decreases to 47-46-45...

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Yeah it should all be around the same temp. Check your connections closely. Its possible the AIO is DOA out of the box.

I changed the connections in the motherboard and it's the same result...
The two fans of the radiator are working and the cooler fan is also working...

Can you explain me better the
"AIO is DOA out of the box." please?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I changed the connections in the motherboard and it's the same result...
The two fans of the radiator are working and the cooler fan is also working...

Can you explain me better the
"AIO is DOA out of the box." please?

Sorry by that I mean your Liquid Freezer AIO (All in One) is DOA (Dead On Arrival).

If the fans are working, and you're getting temps like that it tells me the pump is not pumping at all. The pump should be pumping all the time. If you have a noticeable temp difference between the hoses It tells me the pump is probably not working. So barring it being not plugged in, its probably dead.

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
I just called to the store where i bought the cooler, and tomorrow at 0900 UTC i will take the computer there and check if everything is ok; the person i talked too also suspects something is not right because these temperatures are not OK for this cooler...

I will keep you updated!
Thank you!

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
i just connect the single fan header connection to the motherboard CPU fan and that's it... is that the problem?

There should be a power cable from your pump, usually its a SATA Power connector (like on a hard drive or SSD) doesn't yours have that or no?

EDIT: Looking at the instructions it seems that the pump and AIO run off just a fan header? Which is bizarre to say the least as the fan header doesn't really put that much amperage out to effectively run a pump.

If your motherboard has fan controls, I would try jacking it up to 100% and see what happens.

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
There should be a power cable from your pump, usually its a SATA Power connector (like on a hard drive or SSD) doesn't yours have that or no?

EDIT: Looking at the instructions it seems that the pump and AIO run off just a fan header? Which is bizarre to say the least as the fan header doesn't really put that much amperage out to effectively run a pump.

If your motherboard has fan controls, I would try jacking it up to 100% and see what happens.

I did that again and with no changes, the CPU temperature its the same (testing 6GB of RAM at 70º+)...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I did that again and with no changes, the CPU temperature its the same (testing 6GB of RAM at 70º+)...

Yeah then the pump is not running.

I have to be honest now that I looked through the manual I REALLY don't like the design of that cooler. I don't think its going to perform as well as other brands, I think the pump design is cheap junk made to skirt around the Asetek patent which covers most AIO coolers. IMO its both defective and poor design. If you can return it and get nearly any other brand you will be in a better place.

luckyace9999

Prominent
Sep 11, 2019
Yeah then the pump is not running.

I have to be honest now that I looked through the manual I REALLY don't like the design of that cooler. I don't think its going to perform as well as other brands, I think the pump design is cheap junk made to skirt around the Asetek patent which covers most AIO coolers. IMO its both defective and poor design. If you can return it and get nearly any other brand you will be in a better place.

That's something very differente from what i've been reading, but i believe in you. Which brands do you advise?
Tomorrow in the store i will check for other coolers.. and maybe order one and keeping the stock cooler for a few days

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
That's something very differente from what i've been reading, but i believe in you. Which brands do you advise?
Tomorrow in the store i will check for other coolers.. and maybe order one and keeping the stock cooler for a few days

Interested to see what you have read about it.

You can't go wrong with the Corsair H110 series of coolers. Also the Cryorig A40 is even better if you can find it.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
F
Hello all,

Thanks in advance
did you remove any plastic that may have been protecting the cold plate?

Reactions: rcald2000
Solution

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
i have the 3900X with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler, fans at 100%, at idle cpu temps range from 35 C to about 45C but above 40 only for a second or to and when running handbrake or cpuz stress test, it seems to top out at 69C, while running at 4,250mhz. sounds like something is definitely not right with the cooler

A week ago I switched to that cooler and had troubles right away. Despite many years of experience I didn't tighten all 4 screws on the pump so it wasn't straight and tight on the CPU and temps were so wild that i suspected the pump wasn't working. I stopped radiator fans and radiator got hot under load so pump was running.
After repositioning pump and screwing it tightly temps were still a bit higher than my old CM Nepton 140x I separated pump from fans by plugging pump i AIO_PUMP header which has no speed regulation and connected fans to CPU_FAN by using 4 pin Y spliter and temps went further down by 5-10c.