[SOLVED] 9600K, 9700K or 8700K?...or wait for Zen2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Rethinking (possibly) the choice I made regarding CPU for a new system. The goal of the system is for Adobe Lightroom, and some occasional gaming. Near the point where I start pulling out what little hair I have left.....lol.

I have been bouncing around between the above CPUs trying to decide. Budget for this is not a major concern, fwiw. On one hand I want to get the best performance, but also understanding that a fps, or a few milliseconds in LR here or there will never be noticed by me. On the other hand, don't want to penny-wise and pound-foolish....zen2?

Perhaps it really doesn't matter that much which of the above I choose?
Please help me decide based on your experience with CPUs.

Thank you.

Solution
In LR, the 9th gen firmly beats a Ryzen 2700x, 1010+ to 893. Considering the best Intel offers only geys a little over 1100, the Ryzen is quite far behind, beaten even by a TR. The top contenders are all x299/x399 cpus, so this suggests that clock speeds are not so important as the ability to use quad channel ram. Price on those builds is nuts, but that still leaves the 9th gen firmly ahead of 8th gen and Ryzen.

So, is this a need it now build, because even the 9700k has performance gains over a 2700x in LR, is still 8c/8t so has better core vs HT against 6c/12t 8700k. If it's not, I'd wait on Ryzen 2 and see what (if any) gains will be applicable there. If a 3700x performs similar or better to the 9900k and costs less, that'd be the...

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Also only 16. Is your collection simply massive? How much ram are you using with your collection open?
Is LR doing something in the background?

Hmmm; actually, yes....over 24000 images. I do not think it does much in the background; its the desktop only version. I thought it might be my GPU...maybe overclocking too much, but I don't think so.

So one clarification question: given the data from Puget, what is your recommendation? As you saw with the builds, the cost is like $80 difference...not that much. Will Zen2 be that much better than Intel?

Is your suggestion still to wait for AMD3700x?

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I have an i5-3470 and although it may slow down a bit while doing intensive stuff, it doesn't outright freeze no matter what I throw at it. Having 32GB likely helps a lot with that - the fastest CPU in the world is of little use if it spends large chunks of its time waiting for the SSD/HDD. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason for your PC locking up while using LR at the same time as other stuff is simply due to the OS needing to use the swapfile and reloading stuff from storage more frequently from being low on RAM. I know being ahead on how much RAM I need has greatly extended my PCs' useful life in the past and my i5-3470 is more of the same.

Try a new catalogue, I think best practise is smaller than that, I suspect there's a smart preview for each image, possibly held in ram...

3000 series is on a smaller process, clocks higher, and will be refined. But we won't know till June or July.

If you can make it work waiting 4 months would be beneficial.

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I have an i5-3470 and although it may slow down a bit while doing intensive stuff, it doesn't outright freeze no matter what I throw at it. Having 32GB likely helps a lot with that - the fastest CPU in the world is of little use if it spends large chunks of its time waiting for the SSD/HDD. I wouldn't be surprised if the main reason for your PC locking up while using LR at the same time as other stuff is simply due to the OS needing to use the swapfile and reloading stuff from storage more frequently from being low on RAM. I know being ahead on how much RAM I need has greatly extended my PCs' useful life in the past and my i5-3470 is more of the same.

Thanks for the reply and advice.....and I agree. I believe also that given the large number of images in my catalog (24000+) moving them around depending upon what activity is taxing for cpu....as I noted earlier I upgraded case, psu and gpu a number of months ago to see if that mitigated the issue.....it is better but not enough, as I will be adding more images! go figure.

Anyway, If you would not mind, I would appreciate your take on which way to go for new CPU. As noted earlier, it seemed from Puget's data Intel CPUs performed better.

And lastly, it was suggested to just wait until R3200X was available.....thanks

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Try a new catalogue, I think best practise is smaller than that, I suspect there's a smart preview for each image, possibly held in ram...

3000 series is on a smaller process, clocks higher, and will be refined. But we won't know till June or July.

If you can make it work waiting 4 months would be beneficial.

Thanks for the reply.....your suggestion is interesting in that I decided a few days ago to upgrade my version of LR from an older stand alone version (not supported anymore) to the current version....no change in its behavior, unfortunately. But now fully supported and upgradable.

So the one main issue that many folks have with AMD is single core performance...it has been discussed in some reading that if AMD can surpass Intel with that one spec, they will have achieved something very important...From what you guys know, is that a possibility?

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
9700K is great for gaming, and adequate for content creation...

Those who run apps that do quite well with hyperthreading might indeed prefer the 87000K...

Thanks for the post.....So just before I switched to the 9700K, I had penciled in the.....8700K. I chose the 9700K also because it is a latest gen CPU and that it includes some Spectre mitigation.....also, the only content creation application to specify around is LR....other than that, occasional gaming and general use.

...not sure which way to go now.....

I say go for the AMD Ryzen 7 2700. It performs slightly behind the 2700x, although the 2 are neck and neck overclocked. The 2700x is a small margin behind the 9700k in adobe lightroom so expect the 2700x or 2700 with an overclock to rival a 9700k in Lightroom. The Ryzen 7 2700 is $150 less than the 9700k for a 15% performance gap (overclocked with likely auto voltage), and that's before you factor the much cheaper AM4 platform into the cost.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=52033
Your current video card will work well.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd vs Intel has been around since before there was just amd and Intel. Getting everybody to agree on this subject 100% is impossible since there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. If just a gaming system or Adobe specific system, then obviously Intel 9900k is the answer, but throw in budget and lower than 100% professional Adobe needs and amd starts looking better.

The only caveat is that any new system in these classes of cpus is going to be better than what you have currently, the decision being exactly how important is the absolute best performance vrs justifiable expense

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Amd vs Intel has been around since before there was just amd and Intel. Getting everybody to agree on this subject 100% is impossible since there are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. If just a gaming system or Adobe specific system, then obviously Intel 9900k is the answer, but throw in budget and lower than 100% professional Adobe needs and amd starts looking better.

The only caveat is that any new system in these classes of cpus is going to be better than what you have currently, the decision being exactly how important is the absolute best performance vrs justifiable expense

Very fair comment....

So lets try this to thin the herd a bit....there are really four possible CPU solutions, 9700K, 8700K, 2700X and 3700X.

Each of these have advantages and disadvantages....those factors include: cost, LR performance, gaming performance. We can break down the last two factors again, but I am not sure it matters.....below are my estimates starting with most favorable; please comment and correct where you see fit.

Cost $$: 2700X, 8700K, 3700X, 9700K

Gaming performance: 9700K, 3700X, 8700K, 2700X

LR performance: 9700K, 3700X, 8700K, 2700X

This may be rudimentary, but it sure looks like the 3700X (if my estimates of speed and cost are in the ballpark).

Please, what is your take?

I just want to clarify some misinformation here:
Cores > Threads
Suggesting the 8700K (6c/12t) over the 9700K(8t) is not a good idea.
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-9700K-vs-Intel-i7-8700K/3335vs3098

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rOVfeujof4&t=94s

If you go to 11:50 in video, you can see the Hyperthreaded 8700K does just barely outdo the 9700K in Blender rendering, however, and both are just behind the R7-2700... so more cores and hyperthreading are best in some apps. But, certainly for gaming, agreed, 8c/8t is indeed enough currently....

I personally have a little more faith in Blender and Cinebench results than in 'cpu benchmark' if I were choosing a CPU for actual work tasks...