[SOLVED] 970 EVO plus NVME m.2 NOT detected in BIOS or WINDOWS HELP!

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I just bought a 970 EVO plus NVME m.2 for my PC

My motherbaord is a ASUS ROG STRIX z390-H

I have tried the m2_2 slot and the m2_1 slot. i really have no clue why it isnt working. maybe some options or settings in the bios? i have no idea really.

It is not showing up or detected in the bios at all which is the worse part it only arrived today brand new.

From what i can find my motherboard does support this this NVME 970 evo plus unless im wrong.

I really dont know what else to do, its got to be some option or something, makes no sense why it isnt detected at all in windows or the bios.

I just updated my bios to the latest version also. would really appreciate some help, this cost me 200$

Windows is installed on my physical 850 or 860 SSD , it boots of this as well, i also have a HDD installed as well, the 970 EVO plus NVME m.2 is brand new with nothing on it., and no its not because it isnt formatted, its not detected in bios or windows it doesn't show up in disk manager as unallocated or anything at all.

Last edited:
Solution
Your performance benchmarks are just fine. You are getting the full PCIe 3.0 read speed out of it so there is nothing to change in the BIOS.
Try downloading and running CrystalDiskMark 8.0 with a 5 times test with at least 1GB of data.
The Bandwidth Config should be in your BIOS somewhere. If not, don't worry about it.
If you are getting ~3500 MB/s Reads, then you are running X4 lanes.

Well done!

Lutfij

Titan
Just for the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You might also want to state what processor you've got in the socket of that motherboard. Have you tried connecting only the SSD(in question) to the board? You might want to also state the make and models of the other storage devices and which ports they're hooked up to.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Just for the sake of relevance, can you state what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing? You might also want to state what processor you've got in the socket of that motherboard. Have you tried connecting only the SSD(in question) to the board? You might want to also state the make and models of the other storage devices and which ports they're hooked up to.
BIos ver 2808 for asus rog strix gaming z390-H Gaming

Processor is core i9 9900k I have tried only connecting the 970 EVO plus nvme m.2 by itself unplugging the other 2 HDD`s while the 970 evo plus was in the m2_1 slot of my mobo it doesn't show up or detected in the bios.

One hdd was in the slot Sata6G_5 i just changed it to sata6G-1 made no difference.

Other HDD was in slot sata6g__6 i just changed it to SATA6g_2 made no difference.

make and model of other drives is Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250 GB

WDC WD2003F2EX- 00SRLAO WTB i think it is western digital black,

Some bios setting i notched when in Storage was sata mode selection ACHI aggressive LMP support disabled

CSM compatibility support module disabled.

I restored bios settings to default and then updated to the latest version 2808, already, before, i dont now my way around a bios well and if or what settings to change that may be making the NVME SSD not detectable.

Download and install the samsung pcie driver.

If your intent is to use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the new m.2, try that.
Likely the software will detect the device and do the copy.

If no joy, read the motherboard manual.
Some motherboards will disable fast ports if there are devices installed in competing slots.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Download and install the samsung pcie driver.

If your intent is to use the samsung ssd migration aid to move your C drive to the new m.2, try that.
Likely the software will detect the device and do the copy.

If no joy, read the motherboard manual.
Some motherboards will disable fast ports if there are devices installed in competing slots.

I already removed the other 2 HDD`s and only had the nvme plugged into the m_1 slot didint do anything. Which driver do i download there firmware or driver i already tried download the driver, and it said it didnt detect anything, Do you know in my MOBO what settings need to be turned on or disabled so it is detected or so it runs in pcie? cause i dont know my MOBO has default settings.

Also the firmware option is in ISO i dont know what to do with that.

I already removed the other 2 HDD`s and only had the nvme plugged into the m_1 slot didint do anything. Which driver do i download there firmware or driver i already tried download the driver, and it said it didnt detect anything, Do you know in my MOBO what settings need to be turned on or disabled so it is detected or so it runs in pcie? cause i dont know my MOBO has default settings.

Also the firmware option is in ISO i dont know what to do with that.
You want the nvme driver.
NOT the firmware.
Any new device will have a current firmware already installed. I have never needed to update the firmware on any of my samsung devices.

Is there any chance that the m.2 is not seated fully?
When you insert it into the slot, it should stick up about 20 degrees.
When you wedge it down and secure it with a screw, it makes electrical contact. I don't know if it is possible to insert the m.2 upside down.
Is that a possibility?

If the m.2 is not detected, it could possibly be faulty and needs to be replaced.
Another possibility is that the motherboard is faulty, but with two different m.2 slots not working, I would not think that is likely.

As a last shot, try to run the ssd migration app.
If the device is there, the app will find it.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
NOT the firmware.
Any new device will have a current firmware already installed. I have never needed to update the firmware on any of my samsung devices.

When you wedge it down and secure it with a screw, it makes electrical contact. I don't know if it is possible to insert the m.2 upside down.
Is that a possibility?

If the m.2 is not detected, it could possibly be faulty and needs to be replaced.
Another possibility is that the motherboard is faulty, but with two different m.2 slots not working, I would not think that is likely.

What about my mobo settings? anything i need to change there? when i put it in it slides in i installed it at the top it is the only place it can go in..... nothing shows in migration

I installed it the same way in this video here.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzTLXOPrT7Y

Can anyone help me try to turn settings on or off in the bios?

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
NOT the firmware.

Is that a possibility?

Wait a minute i installed something else, before i put the screw in it was like a bolt thingy like that the screw goes into on top of it it came with the screw that screws in before the screw then you put the screw on top of it should i not have installed that? i think it was the standover screw or something i removed it and put the screw directly in still doesnt work, my mobo cant be faulty everything else in it works, it cant be the nvme stick is faulty its brand new i just got it, has to be another reason, why it isnt detected at all.

Last edited:

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Does my mobo mentioned in OP not support it? what a waste of money useless crap it can not be faulty, my mobo isnt faulty, it has to be settings in bios or something else.

I bought this thing specifically for cyberpunk 2077 and it doesnt even work.

Last edited:

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Welp doesnt matter now i took it out and snapped it in half in anger, i tried everything, it would not detect it, my Motherboard is not faulty, cause everything else works on it. will never be buying a nvme or m.2 stick again not unless I buy a whole new pc, they are unreliable faulty useless pieces of <Mod Edit>. what a waste of 200$

Last edited by a moderator:
They are not unreliable pieces of <Mod Edit>.
You have to learn to work the problem.
Don't give up so easily.
The first thing you should have done is call support or send it back for a replacement.
You won't learn anything if you don't persevere.
NVMe is the future. You don't have to wait until you buy another PC.
You just flushed $200 down the toilet for no good reason.
We are here to help you, not frustrate you.
What I would suggest, if you would like to give this another try, is buy a really cheap NVMe.
Then, if your BIOS is anything like mine, follow the next screens and tell us what you see.
You can do screen captures yourself to a USB thumb drive by pressing F12 for each BIOS screen. It must be formatted as FAT.

You will benefit from this, I promise you.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nKVaa4r

Last edited by a moderator:

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
They are not unreliable pieces of <Mod Edit>.
You have to learn to work the problem.
Don't give up so easily.
The first thing you should have done is call support or send it back for a replacement.
You won't learn anything if you don't persevere.
NVMe is the future. You don't have to wait until you buy another PC.
You just flushed $200 down the toilet for no good reason.
We are here to help you, not frustrate you.
What I would suggest, if you would like to give this another try, is buy a really cheap NVMe.
Then, if your BIOS is anything like mine, follow the next screens and tell us what you see.
You can do screen captures yourself to a USB thumb drive by pressing F12 for each BIOS screen. It must be formatted as FAT.

You will benefit from this, I promise you.

View: https://imgur.com/a/nKVaa4r

Does my mobo even support NVME no one actually states that although i asked multiple times, it is a asus rog strix z390-h gaming ill buy another one but i suspect the exact same thing will happen from those screenshots above, it said there is no nvme device connected at all didn't even have that option i installed it correctly i checked with standoff screw cause it was needed cause it was sloped i tried both m1 and m2 slots nothing connected nothing detected nothing showing in the bios i don't have any of the options that u have from the screenshots u posted the chances the part was faulty is like 1% ill buy another one but, i suspect the issue is something else. which I have no clue what it is. My bios is the latest version there is a NVME configuration option in my bios but that's about it, it says no nvme thing is there at all when i had the other one installed.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
970 EVO plus NVME m.2 bought this again but 250gb version, cause its cheaper, should arrive in a few days, i really thing some other option or setting somewhere in bios or a switch or something or other on the mobo is off or something, as it doesn't make any sense.

The only thing i do notice is when I turn my pc on after a few seconds it turns off then it turns on and goes into windows fine. no other issues. everything else on mobo works, is there some type of switch on the back of the mobo or anything that controls weather the nvme m.2 slots on the mobo are switched on or off or anything in the bios or anywhere else? for my motherbaord?

The specs for your motherboard definitely says it supports m.2 pcie drives.

Intel® Z390 Chipset :
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA mode & X4 PCIE mode)
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s)
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Intel® Optane™ Memory Ready *2

One m.2 supports pcie only and one supports both sata and pcie m.2 devices.

Possibly, the m.2 was defective. On occasion, it happens.

The bios default should be fine.
But, go through the advanced bios options, line, by line and look for anything relevant.
I can't tell you what that might be.

A pause on startup is often because the motherboard does not like the ram settings and searches for a setting that works.
Not likely a problem.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
The specs for your motherboard definitely says it supports m.2 pcie drives.
Possibly, the m.2 was defective. On occasion, it happens.

The bios default should be fine.
But, go through the advanced bios options, line, by line and look for anything relevant.
I can't tell you what that might be.

A pause on startup is often because the motherboard does not like the ram settings and searches for a setting that works.

Will need to wait until the new m.2 arrives, I went through the bios and turned on enabled anything that has to do with me there isn't much there at all, the only thing was nvme configuration which, it says there was no nvme device connected. so ity maybe some other setting in my mobo i dont really know what would fix what.

In regards to pausing on startup then turning of then turning back on again, and then booting fine if it is ram settings where do i go to check thart i haven't changed any settings regarding my ram. or how to tell if something is wrong or detect it?

What is the make/model of your ram kit?
Anything faster than 2666 needs to have an overclock setting applied to it to get it to run faster.
If your settings defaulted to auto, perhaps what you are seeing is the motherboard adjusting your speed up.
The easy way to see what you have is to look at CPU-Z
The memory tab will tell you single or dual channel and the dram frequency(double this for dual channel speed)
The spd tab will tell you what is installed in that particular slot.
It should also list a number of different possible settings that the ram supports.
In the bios, you specify one of the xmp settings.
You will note that the fastest speed is accompanied by a higher 1.35v.

Will need to wait until the new m.2 arrives, I went through the bios and turned on enabled anything that has to do with me there isn't much there at all, the only thing was nvme configuration which, it says there was no nvme device connected. so ity maybe some other setting in my mobo i dont really know what would fix what.

In regards to pausing on startup then turning of then turning back on again, and then booting fine if it is ram settings where do i go to check thart i haven't changed any settings regarding my ram. or how to tell if something is wrong or detect it?

Could you possibly take some screen shots and post them of your BIOS Advanced settings?
My ASUS TUF X570 BIOS seems to be slightly different from yours.

Last edited:

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
What is the make/model of your ram kit?
Anything faster than 2666 needs to have an overclock setting applied to it to get it to run faster.
If your settings defaulted to auto, perhaps what you are seeing is the motherboard adjusting your speed up.
The easy way to see what you have is to look at CPU-Z
The memory tab will tell you single or dual channel and the dram frequency(double this for dual channel speed)
The spd tab will tell you what is installed in that particular slot.
It should also list a number of different possible settings that the ram supports.
In the bios, you specify one of the xmp settings.
You will note that the fastest speed is accompanied by a higher 1.35v.

My ram is LPX vengeance ddr4 4x8gb (32gb) 2133mhz when I checked my ram speed in CPU-Z 3 sticks were running at, 1066mhz one was at 1037mhz, i didn't change or adjust anything in regards to ram at all XMP is disabled using default bios settings. The issue that brought this up is when I turn my PC on it goes off within a few seconds then turns itself on again and bots normally.

Last edited:

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Could you possibly take some screen shots and post them of your BIOS Advanced settings?
My ASUS TUF X570 BIOS seems to be slightly different from yours.

The new NVME stick hasn't arrived yet, but i will try to work out how to taker screenshots and that and post them, will a external HDD work formatted in fat32

Last edited: