[SOLVED] 9700K OC @ 5.0 and AVX issue: clock speeds up and down all the time

Emma92

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
I have OCd a 9700K to 5Ghz (AIO H100) with and without AVX, this are the best stable settings I could get.

Without AVX; 1.31v LLC 6
With AVX -2: 1.34v LLC 6
(Max LLC is 7)

With AVX I could not pass the stress test...but I do not care since I just use the PC to play games, and now I can play games that utilize AVX without them crashing(Apex, games based on unreal engine, etc).

The issue I have now is that every time I do something, open a software, play a game (Even games that do not require AVX), anything...the CPU clock speed goes from 4.8 to 5.0 all the time, it stays on 4.8 for 2 seconds, then 2 seconds at 5.0...it goes back and forward between these 2 speeds. I was wondering if this was normal. This also happens when staying on windows without doing anything...because its working on some process in the background.

I was going to share all the other OC settings, but I do not think they are necessary, if they are, please let me know.

Solution
Thank you for your reply.

Do AVX instructions run all the time? I thought it was something related to apps, like the game Apex, but I noticed that the core speed changes even when Im on windows doing anything....

I was worried that this could be bad for the chip, but I just tried enabling speedstep (just for curious, not related to this issue), and I noticed that the cpu changes between 800mhz and 5.0ghz all the time depending on what Im doing, so I dont think that changing from 4.8 to 5.0 will be bad for the chip.

Please correct me if Im wrong.

Any program running AVX instructions basically, including background applications and games. Speedstep will ramp up the clock speed as needed. 800MHz-5.0GHz would be normal...

Emma92

Prominent
Sep 21, 2019
Sounds normal the cpu is applying the avx offset when avx instructions are run.

Do AVX instructions run all the time? I thought it was something related to apps, like the game Apex, but I noticed that the core speed changes even when Im on windows doing anything....

I was worried that this could be bad for the chip, but I just tried enabling speedstep (just for curious, not related to this issue), and I noticed that the cpu changes between 800mhz and 5.0ghz all the time depending on what Im doing, so I dont think that changing from 4.8 to 5.0 will be bad for the chip.

zx128k

Reputable

Any program running AVX instructions basically, including background applications and games. Speedstep will ramp up the clock speed as needed. 800MHz-5.0GHz would be normal operation for speedstep. Worry if the clocks drop to 800Mhz with speed step off.

If you remove the AVX offset then you will get higher temps and will need to run stress tests to prove its stable (like any change in an overclock). Aida64 would be a good avx stress test.

Reactions: Emma92
Solution