Question 980 Ti black screen flicker ?

Jan 19, 2022
So i have 3 x 980 Ti cards
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SuperClocked+ ACX 2.0+

One card is acting wierd on my 85 inch 4k tv 120 hz, only when the card gets hot, i have changed thermal paste and pads, i have also checked that there is no gap for the thermal pads, but i get black screen for 2 sec and then it comes back and then black screen again, it gets worse when i am in game and goes to desktop, almost like the hdmi cable disconects and reconects. The card only act wierd when its under load and only when i use my 4k 85 inch 120 hz, the 2 other 980 ti dont do this, i have tried the card on 2 other high refresh monitors and it work fine. i am also testing all 980ti in the same system.

The only way i can get the black screen flicker to go away is to set the display settings in nvidia to [ pc resolution 4k or 1080p 120hz no problem, but when i set it for ultra hd, hd, sd resolution 1080p 120hz or 4k 120] the problem starts. It works fine for 100hz, and 60hz for this card, the other 2 980ti same brand and same cards in the same system they dont have this problem in any display settings for this tv, and they dont act like this in any settings, anyone have a clue to what is going on?

Last edited:
Is it possible to try another cable, Sounds weird but I've had GPU's that didn't like a cable for some reason but that same cable works on others just fine, worth a shot.

Also if you are not afraid to update the bios on the card, that might fix it as 4k at 120hz was kind of a new thing for that card back in the day and if I remember right, the 980ti only has a HDMI 2.0 port so it can only do 4k 60hz, and the Display port is only 1.2 which is 4k 60hz as well, But I have read you can update the firmware for DP 1.4 which will work with 4k 120hz, so this is most likely your issue.

Good Luck!

Jan 19, 2022
Is it possible to try another cable, Sounds weird but I've had GPU's that didn't like a cable for some reason but that same cable works on others just fine, worth a shot.

Also if you are not afraid to update the bios on the card, that might fix it as 4k at 120hz was kind of a new thing for that card back in the day and if I remember right, the 980ti only has a HDMI 2.0 port so it can only do 4k 60hz, and the Display port is only 1.2 which is 4k 60hz as well, But I have read you can update the firmware for DP 1.4 which will work with 4k 120hz, so this is most likely your issue.

Good Luck!

Thank you😊 the vbios is the same as 1 of my card that i also tested and it work fine, my guess is what you are saying about the hdmi cable, but i am useing a 2 meter hdmi 2.1 4k120hz cable, i did read that in some cases the hdmi 2.1 that was 2 meter was cousing interference even if it is a high end cable for some gpus, so now i have bought my self a hdmi 2.0 4k120hz cable 1 meter instead of 2, gonna test it and see if that fixes the issue.

I am aware that the 980 ti only support 4k60 hz, but i am mostly testing these cards on 1080p 120hz on that tv. One thing that also fixes the issue for that card was when i downclocked it, the black screen was less, and the more i downclocked it went away, but ofc it worked good in pc resolution 1080p 120hz. But the thing i dont understand is when i test this card with this cable on my 240hz 24 display tv it works like a charm, also work fine with my older 65 inch 60hz tv, but ofc that is 60hz. but when i plug it into the 85 inch 4k120 hz playing in 1080p 120hz its war when getting hot😄 but thx, i will test the cable and see if that resolve the issue😊

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Thank you😊 the vbios is the same as 1 of my card that i also tested and it work fine, my guess is what you are saying about the hdmi cable, but i am useing a 2 meter hdmi 2.1 4k120hz cable, i did read that in some cases the hdmi 2.1 that was 2 meter was cousing interference even if it is a high end cable for some gpus, so now i have bought my self a hdmi 2.0 4k120hz cable 1 meter instead of 2, gonna test it and see if that fixes the issue.

I am aware that the 980 ti only support 4k60 hz, but i am mostly testing these cards on 1080p 120hz on that tv. One thing that also fixes the issue for that card was when i downclocked it, the black screen was less, and the more i downclocked it went away, but ofc it worked good in pc resolution 1080p 120hz. But the thing i dont understand is when i test this card with this cable on my 240hz 24 display tv it works like a charm, also work fine with my older 65 inch 60hz tv, but ofc that is 60hz. but when i plug it into the 85 inch 4k120 hz playing in 1080p 120hz its war when getting hot😄 but thx, i will test the cable and see if that resolve the issue😊
I used to run a 980Ti on a 4K 60hz display until a few months ago when i upgraded, and when i first ran it it used to coil whine and then crash at 4K high fps loads, so stuff like 500+fps used to make it crash, wonder if it could be something similar, 980Ti’s are getting on a bit but still good card. Even if it’s without coil whine, maybe the card is unhappy with the display connection, as my problem went away after switching to a higher end HDMI and then a DP cable later on.

As suggested above, i would defo try a new cable see if that does anything to help.

How often has the black screens been appearing as well?

Jan 19, 2022
I used to run a 980Ti on a 4K 60hz display until a few months ago when i upgraded, and when i first ran it it used to coil whine and then crash at 4K high fps loads, so stuff like 500+fps used to make it crash, wonder if it could be something similar, 980Ti’s are getting on a bit but still good card. Even if it’s without coil whine, maybe the card is unhappy with the display connection, as my problem went away after switching to a higher end HDMI and then a DP cable later on.

As suggested above, i would defo try a new cable see if that does anything to help.

How often has the black screens been appearing as well?

If i choose ultra hd 1080p 120hz https://ibb.co/fp0Wf1B
The black screen comes on and off almost like you have someone disconecting and conecting your hdmi, i can hear sound but no photo for 2 sec this happens alot like 2 sec screen time then 2 sec gone then 2 sec gone again, this only happens when i test the card in a game, in the game black screens comes and goes less then then if i up to go to desktop while gaming, then the black screen goes crazy. I can fix this only if i downclock the card mhz, but this never happens in Pc resolution 1080p. And only this card has this problem, for this monitor. https://ibb.co/rkWr0zk

The hdmi cable is a good cable, but its 2 meter, so i have bought a 1 meter 2.0 cable 4k120hz i will test, i have read that 2 meter hdmi cable can couse interference for some gpues that send out signals? Maybe the gpu is old and have some problems so shorter hdmi 2.0 1 meter 4k120hz could make it better since the range is shortet, insted of 2.1 hdmi 2 meter. I will update if this fixes the issiue😊

Last edited:

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
The black screen comes on and off almost like you have someone disconecting and conecting your hdmi, i can hear sound but no photo for 2 sec this happens alot like 2 sec screen time then 2 sec gone then 2 sec gone again, this only happens when i test the card in a game, in the game black screens comes and goes less then then if i up to go to desktop while gaming, then the black screen goes crazy. I can fix this only if i downclock the card mhz, but this never happens in Pc resolution 1080p. And only this card has this problem, for this monitor. https://ibb.co/rkWr0zk

The hdmi cable is a good cable, but its 2 meter, so i have bought a 1 meter 2.0 cable 4k120hz i will test, i have read that 2 meter hdmi cable can couse interference for some gpues that send out signals? Maybe the gpu is old and have some problems so shorter hdmi 2.0 1 meter 4k120hz could make it better since the range is shortet, insted of 2.1 hdmi 2 meter. I will update if this fixes the issiue😊
Have you tried it in another monitor or in another pc to try and replicate the fault elsewhere?

Jan 19, 2022
Have you tried it in another monitor or in another pc to try and replicate the fault elsewhere?

Yes 2 screens, [1] 240hz 1080p and [1] 65inch 4k screen resolution 1080p 60hz, working just fine, but with the 85 inch 4k 120hz but playing in 1080p 120hz in ultra hd, i get black screen om that card, but not the other 2 980ti card, tested same setting and hardware. And yes i have tried other pc, i have around 10 pc old and new, with different hardware. This card really dont like the 85inch 4k tv, or it could be the hdmi iglo cable i am useing that it dont like, the other cards are behaving nicely😄 other card is like a stubborn child. I have bought a hama ultra high speed hdmi cable ultra certified cable 1 meter, gonna test it when i am home😊

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
Yes 2 screens, [1] 240hz 1080p and [1] 65inch 4k screen resolution 1080p 60hz, working just fine, but with the 85 inch 4k 120hz but playing in 1080p 120hz in ultra hd, i get black screen om that card, but not the other 2 980ti card, tested same setting and hardware. And yes i have tried other pc, i have around 10 pc old and new, with different hardware. This card really dont like the 85inch 4k tv, or it could be the hdmi iglo cable i am useing that it dont like, the other cards are behaving nicely😄 other card is like a stubborn child. I have bought a hama ultra high speed hdmi cable ultra certified cable 1 meter, gonna test it when i am home😊
Honestly it might just be the card being funky, if you have other hardware, try that instead on the 85"

i move suggestion, remove the cooler, make sure there isnt any spillover for the thermal compound, once thats sorted screw the heat sink in snug not tight, when you move the heatsink with your hands it should move a small amount, if you tighten it too tighht the added pressure will cause additional heat and cause the card to crash...

edit, sell all 3 and buy a proper 3060ti?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022
i move suggestion, remove the cooler, make sure there isnt any spillover for the thermal compound, once thats sorted screw the heat sink in snug not tight, when you move the heatsink with your hands it should move a small amount, if you tighten it too tighht the added pressure will cause additional heat and cause the card to crash...

I bought 2 of them since i love old hardware :) i just tested the funky card on my 240hz monitor, it had the same option in display settings as the 4k tv :p i sett the 240hz monitor to Ultra hd, hd, sd 1080p it only opted to 120hz for that resolution for ultra hd, hd, sd, in other resolution like pc resolution 1080p i could get 240hz, i tested it for that display and no black screen or anything, almost like it dont like my 4k monitor when i try ultra hd, hd, sd. i tried different cabels, i have repasted the card over 4 times bec i thought the same as you did now, but no i guess the card really dont like that 4k monitor :)

Reactions: spentshells
Jan 19, 2022

You might be correct, i changed the gpu to another pc with much better airflow, before the card was sitting around 79c and black screen flicker no crashes was an issue, the pc i changed it to it is sitting at 72-73c and i cant see any sign of black screen or flicker, i might try to swap coolers from a 980 ti same brand to see, and test it with the pc that has not so good airflow. It might be the vram or something on the card that is not getting enough cooling? 79c is fine for my 2 other cars, but not the one i am haveing issues with, but again the issue only comes when i choose display ultra hd, hd, sd and when it gets hot. So it might be a heat problem somewhere on the card

Jan 19, 2022
So after some test with the card i found out that it is a heat issue, but only with a specific display resolution. On my 4k 85 inch monitor resolution sett to ultra hd hd sd 1080p 120hz, when the card hits over 78c the black screen flicker comes and go but mostly in desktop mode if i try to stay under 73c the card dont have any issue, in game i see it very rearly, its when i goes to desktop mode while running a game it starts. But if i change to pc resolution 1080p 120hz black screen flicker goes away. I also tried ultra hd hd sd on my 27inch monitor that can output 240hz, but ultra hd hd sd 1080p on that monitor only goes to 120hz for ultra hd, and there is no problem, in pc resolution 240hz 1080p no problem also. So i guess the problem lies with my 85inch tv and the gpu😄 my only thing i can think of is that the gpu and my 85inch tv is haveing problems with the heat from the hdmi cable cousing it to give out black screen every 2 sec on that specific resolution.