9800 pro only gets a score of 3800 in 3dmark03

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gordon Scott wrote:
> maniac wrote:
>>
>> Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like i should be up in the 5000 area.
>>
>> It should be ~6000.
>> You may have bough 128 bit R9800 Pro. :( I'm sorry. ;p
>>
>> --
>> maniac(at)chello.pl
>> BP Bemowo Team
>
> haa. :)
> its actually a ATI AIW 9800 pro, but all the 9800's are 256bit, and
> it has the samsung ram chips

We've discussed this point in this ng already; not all 9800's have 256
bit memory bus. You can see whether yours is 256 or 128 using something
like Aida32/Everest Home or Sandra.
McG.

Using Cat 4.6 now, get 6100 with these. The Cat 4.7 I posted about a few
threads above, I get 6200, but they are not quite finished yet so I'll stick
with 4.6.

"fish" <fish@email.com> wrote in message
> really? What driver are you using?
>
> Apparently the 9800 VPU gets a bonus in 3DM03.
>
> I've had my 9700p overclocked since October of 2002. Its time for a new
ATI,
> soon!
>
> Still, UT2004 is playing very fast with AA at 2X and AF at 4X with res at
> 1280 X 1024 X 32. This Radeon has been through a few systems too, its MUCH
> faster on this P4e then it ever was on any AthlonXP machine I have owned.
My
> last XP was on an NF2 board at 200Mhz FSB X 12 for 2400Mhz.
>

> "Runar" <runarhalvorsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > More then likely he should get 6000, I get 6100 and the system specs he
> has
> > is almost identical to mine, even the overclocking is about the same.
> >
> > "fish" <fish@email.com> wrote in message
> > > ? Umm, no not 6000. Maybe 5500.
> > >
> > > My P4e at 3.3Gzh (240Mhz FSB) with an overclocked 9700Pro (371/331)
does
> > > about 5500.
> > >

> > > "maniac" <no@mail.com> wrote in message

On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>FYI and a comparison, have a look at my most recent 3DM03 results. Over
>5900, and nothing is OC'd, P4 3.0E/800fsb/1m L2, 1gig PC3200 at dual
>channel, 9800 Pro-128, XP Pro.
>http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2689420

Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM and 1
Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing Far Cry. I'm
not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- Inigo Montoya
Steve [Inglo]

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

fish wrote:
> ? Umm, no not 6000. Maybe 5500.
>
> My P4e at 3.3Gzh (240Mhz FSB) with an overclocked 9700Pro (371/331)
> does about 5500.

About 5850 from my mobile xp2400 @ 2.7GHz, 9700Pro @ 370/315, haha Intel
killer ;-)

--
Ian

Inglo wrote:
> On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> FYI and a comparison, have a look at my most recent 3DM03 results.
>> Over 5900, and nothing is OC'd, P4 3.0E/800fsb/1m L2, 1gig PC3200 at
>> dual channel, 9800 Pro-128, XP Pro.
>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2689420
>>

> Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM and
> 1 Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing Far Cry.
> I'm not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441
>
> --
> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> means."
>

> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]

With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all around
with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score than I
did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in my drivers?
I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up textures in Q3A
1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood and
GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same ram. Same
install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa Cruz btw.
I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over 6000. :)
mcG.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:34:25 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>Inglo wrote:
>> On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>>
>>> FYI and a comparison, have a look at my most recent 3DM03 results.
>>> Over 5900, and nothing is OC'd, P4 3.0E/800fsb/1m L2, 1gig PC3200 at
>>> dual channel, 9800 Pro-128, XP Pro.
>>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2689420
>>>

>> Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM and
>> 1 Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing Far Cry.
>> I'm not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441
>>
>> --
>> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
>> means."
>>

>> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]
>
>With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all around
>with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
>individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score than I
>did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in my drivers?
>I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up textures in Q3A
>1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
>I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood and
>GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same ram. Same
>install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa Cruz btw.
>I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over 6000. :)
>mcG.

Don't forget you are using old video drivers. We're on 4.6's now and
in a few weeks 4.7 are going to come out of beta.

Pluvious

Pluvious wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 23:34:25 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Inglo wrote:
>>> On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>>> Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM
>>> and 1 Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing
>>> Far Cry. I'm not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
>>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441
>>>
>>> --
>>> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
>>> means."
>>>

>>> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]
>>
>> With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all
>> around with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
>> individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score
>> than I did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in
>> my drivers? I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up
>> textures in Q3A
>> 1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
>> I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood
>> and GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same
>> ram. Same install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa
>> Cruz btw. I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over
>> 6000. :) mcG.
>>

> Don't forget you are using old video drivers. We're on 4.6's now and
> in a few weeks 4.7 are going to come out of beta.
>

> Pluvious

I know, with the installation of this card brand new, I installed cat
4.5, then the release set of cat 4.6 and the texture flickering is
present in all three. Including 4.4
McG.

Using the Cat 4.6 and there are absolutely no issues with Q3A with 6xAA
16xAF, perfect IQ. Give it a try.

> Inglo wrote:
> > On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
> >
> >> FYI and a comparison, have a look at my most recent 3DM03 results.
> >> Over 5900, and nothing is OC'd, P4 3.0E/800fsb/1m L2, 1gig PC3200 at
> >> dual channel, 9800 Pro-128, XP Pro.
> >> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2689420
> >>

> > Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM and
> > 1 Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing Far Cry.
> > I'm not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
> > http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441
> >
> > --
> > "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> > means."
> >

> > - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]
>
> With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all around
> with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
> individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score than I
> did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in my drivers?
> I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up textures in Q3A
> 1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
> I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood and
> GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same ram. Same
> install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa Cruz btw.
> I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over 6000. :)
> mcG.

so now I wonder what I've done wrong? I get the severe texture flicker
with 4.4, 4.5 and 4.6. The same in all three. Perhaps I need to
reinstall the game?
McG.

Runar wrote:
> Using the Cat 4.6 and there are absolutely no issues with Q3A with
> 6xAA 16xAF, perfect IQ. Give it a try.

>> Inglo wrote:
>>> On 7/3/2004 5:49 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>>> Pretty close, though my system is OCed a bit. I bet the 1 Gb RAM
>>> and 1 Mb of L2 make a big difference for you, especially playing
>>> Far Cry. I'm not ready to drop another $100+ on additional RAM yet.
>>> http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2725441
>>>
>>> --
>>> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
>>> means."
>>>

>>> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]
>>
>> With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all
>> around with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
>> individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score
>> than I did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in
>> my drivers? I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up
>> textures in Q3A
>> 1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
>> I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood
>> and GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same
>> ram. Same install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa
>> Cruz btw. I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over
>> 6000. :) mcG.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

On 7/3/2004 8:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

> With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all
>
>>>around with 1 gig of ram in huge games like Far Cry. Looking at the
>>>individual tests scores, I'm wondering how you got a higher score
>>>than I did? Hey, maybe I ought to go turn a bunch of stuff off in
>>>my drivers? I'm using the cat 4.4's and still note the messed up
>>>textures in Q3A
>>>1.32, and they are bad too. Flicker ain't the word for it :(
>>>I noted a 600+ gain in performance going from the P4-2.66 northwood
>>>and GA8-848P-L to P4 3.0E and GA8-IPE1000G. Both using the same
>>>ram. Same install of XP Pro too for that matter. Sound is TB Santa
>>>Cruz btw. I'll work on the driver issue and see if that ups me over
>>>6000. :) mcG.
>>>

>>Don't forget you are using old video drivers. We're on 4.6's now and
>>in a few weeks 4.7 are going to come out of beta.
>>

>>Pluvious
>>

>I know, with the installation of this card brand new, I installed cat
>4.5, then the release set of cat 4.6 and the texture flickering is
>present in all three. Including 4.4
>McG.

Where is the texture flickering happening in Quake3? I've only played
through a couple botmatches in Q3 since I got the 9800 Pro, but didn't
notice anything unusual. When I was playing Q3 I had 4x AA 16x AF on.
I did notice that when I installed the 9800 Pro all of my Q3 engine
based games (Jedi Knight, Elite Force, COD, Q3) had the filtering reset
to bilinear, so maybe check that.

--

Inglo wrote:
> On 7/3/2004 8:52 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>> With XP you will notice a fairly significant performance gain all

>>> Don't forget you are using old video drivers. We're on 4.6's now and
>>> in a few weeks 4.7 are going to come out of beta.
>>>

>>> Pluvious
>>>

>> I know, with the installation of this card brand new, I installed cat
>> 4.5, then the release set of cat 4.6 and the texture flickering is
>> present in all three. Including 4.4
>> McG.
>>

> Where is the texture flickering happening in Quake3? I've only played
> through a couple botmatches in Q3 since I got the 9800 Pro, but didn't
> notice anything unusual. When I was playing Q3 I had 4x AA 16x AF on.
> I did notice that when I installed the 9800 Pro all of my Q3 engine
> based games (Jedi Knight, Elite Force, COD, Q3) had the filtering
> reset to bilinear, so maybe check that.
>
> --
> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> means."
>

> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]

I've tried all these settings Steve, and Q3 has the flickering textures,
stretched ones, misplaced ones all over the place. The game plays but
this is very distracting obviously. Maybe I need to reinstall
something? Iduuno, got headache.
McG.

p4 2.4 gig @ 533 not oc'd.
9800 pro @ 410/470
512 kingston hyperx ram 3200
Seagate 120 gig, 8m, 7200
Asus p4p800 Deluxe

I usually get around low 6000-6100at 1024 x 768, quality settings all
set to max performance, no aa. Default 3mark 2003 settings.

I'm new to ati so I didn't know if that was any good for my setup

I'll have a p4c 3.0g this week @ 800, and my ram in dual channel. I'll
see what difference it makes. the 2.4 is borrowed.

I'm an old fan of oc'ing, and pc's, but I haven't upgraded in a while
due to a rough spot in the old wallet. Things have turned around a
but, and I'm Trying to get back into it again finally.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

McGrandpa wrote:

> I've tried all these settings Steve, and Q3 has the flickering
> textures, stretched ones, misplaced ones all over the place. The
> game plays but this is very distracting obviously. Maybe I need to
> reinstall something? Iduuno, got headache.
> McG.

i get that with q3 on my 9800 pro if its set to 16 bit

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.games.quake3 (More info?)

On 7/5/2004 8:42 AM John brightened our day with:

>McGrandpa wrote:
>

>>I've tried all these settings Steve, and Q3 has the flickering
>>textures, stretched ones, misplaced ones all over the place. The
>>game plays but this is very distracting obviously. Maybe I need to
>>reinstall something? Iduuno, got headache.
>>McG.
>>

>i get that with q3 on my 9800 pro if its set to 16 bit

There's a setting to force the z buffer to 24 bit under openGL advanced
options try that.

--

John wrote:
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> I've tried all these settings Steve, and Q3 has the flickering
>> textures, stretched ones, misplaced ones all over the place. The
>> game plays but this is very distracting obviously. Maybe I need to
>> reinstall something? Iduuno, got headache.
>> McG.
>
> i get that with q3 on my 9800 pro if its set to 16 bit

Game and desktop are set to 32 bit, I've never seen this before
instlling the 9800 Pro. I have had several ATI cards before this too.
8500-128 was the last ATi prior to this, and the display was perfect.
That the textures are recognizable, or there are simply 'holes' or
missing bits of texture, or the mapping is all wrong lead me to think
it's likely the drivers. I'm out of settings to fiddle with I think :(

Inglo wrote:
> On 7/5/2004 8:42 AM John brightened our day with:
>
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>

>>> I've tried all these settings Steve, and Q3 has the flickering
>>> textures, stretched ones, misplaced ones all over the place. The
>>> game plays but this is very distracting obviously. Maybe I need to
>>> reinstall something? Iduuno, got headache.
>>> McG.
>>>

>> i get that with q3 on my 9800 pro if its set to 16 bit
>>

> There's a setting to force the z buffer to 24 bit under openGL
> advanced options try that.
>
> --
> "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it
> means."
>

> - Inigo Montoya Steve [Inglo]

Ok, I've forced 24 bit, no difference. I scrubbed the ATI drivers and
ctl pan, installed the Omegas based on 4.6 and this seems to have
cleaned up that corruption in DX games, but not OGL. twiddled various
settings in the OGL tab and even got Q3 where it wouldn't run. Twiddled
more and it runs, still with corruption.
Just played several hours of Halo, set up a server, had a lot of fun.
Noted that there would be an odd and rare black or color line connecting
me to the spawn point for a bit. Once I cross a certain distance, the
line stuck where it was at that point. That happened maybe 3 times.
I'm wondering if I need to reinstall XP?
3rd mobo, 3rd CPU and 3rd video card on this one installation of XP.
Namely since I installed the newest hd, a 160g. Fat32.
Yeah, I probably do need to fdisk it, format to NTFS and do a fresh
clean install.
Thanks for the input folks.
McG.

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 10:16:25 GMT, Gordon Scott
<gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Well I thought I'd spec my new AIW 9800 pro, sitting in a A7N8X deluxe
>rev2 bios 1007with a Athlon XP 3200+ 400fsb running at 2.37 with 768megs
>of OCZ pc3200EL ram.
>System is clocked at 11 x 211 stable running prime95 for 12 hrs.
>
>My 3dmark03 was in and around 3800, I was choked, its a fresh XP pro
>install.
>Even OC the video card with ATI Tool 401core and 378mem didnt do much
>better.
>
>Seems like i should be up in the 5000 area.

Yep... I get around 5500 with my 9800Pro (non AIW) with an AMD2500.
(not OC)

Sometimes Overclocking the system can REDUCE performance... Some
areas were FASTER with OC, others were slower - so I said screw it and
run the system at default. And I have a late model (Rev3) of that
moboboard.

- - - - -
Remember: In the USA - it is dangeroud to draw or write about Heir Bush in a negative way. The police or SS are called, people threaten to kill you. (What country is this again?)

- Fahrenheit 9/11 - Unless you see it for yourself, don't call it "a bunch of lies"... that would be unAmerican.
- White House blows cover of an undercover agent because her husband said there were no WMD (before the USA started the war) - her job was finding terrorist.
God bless the land of the free. Where you can burn the Constitution... Ashcroft does it every day.