980Ti burnt out?

Jun 7, 2018
So i'm loading into a game of World of Tanks (don't judge me) and all of a sudden my PC dies, powers up for a second and then dies again, followed by smoke coming out the thing and me diving for the power.

Waited a while and switched the computer back on and it died again in a split second. Verified both my hardrives are ok by plugging them into an ancient computer. Pulled out the GPU and the computer appeared to start ok although i couldn't actually tell as I had no visual out. Grabbed the GTX 260 from the old computer and plugged it into this one and all seems to be well.

World of Tanks had a big graphics change recently and i hadn't played for about a year, I'd also got a larger res monitor (3440x1440) in that time too so i'm thinking the combination of too high graphics settings and hot weather may have killed the card? There's no obvious burning on the card but there is a hefty backplate on it. I'm fairly sure i've got this right but want to check with more experienced people in case power or somesuch may have played a part.

My system is:

Windows 10 Home
i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
Asus - X99-A ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 980Ti Windforce
Corsair - H110i GTX
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB
Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5"
Corsair RM1000i PSU
Dell U3415W 3440x1440 monitor

I guees an upgradei is going to be necessary to take advantage of my new resolution but what won't break the bank?

The GTX 260 uses less power than the 980 card, while a good start to testing things, it does not fully rule out an issue with the power supply.

Best way to see if the card is at fault is try it in another system with a good power supply. The RM models of power supplies are good quality, and since it does work OK without that card, I would think the video card is the issue here.