[SOLVED] 9900k z390 BSOD Loop - Fresh Build Bricked - Hardware Issue?

Dec 26, 2018
i9 9900k
corsair h110i water cooler
gigabyte aorus ultra z390 mobo
2x8gb 3200 ddr4 gskill trident z
970 pro m.2 nvme
geforce gtx 1060 gpu
evga supernova 750w psu
win10

Built last week. The same day installed win 10. Prime95/cinebench temps spiked to 95-100c. Reapplied thermal paste and reseated the cooler, temps down 85c max.

Voltage and frequency were unusually high out of the box, 1.4v @ 4.7ghz.

20mins into second round of Prime95 torture test, Blend, the PC shut down.

-Machine Check Exception BSOD
-Whea Uncorrectable Error BSOD
-ROM Image not loaded in BIOS

These errors endlessly loop into BIOS. I've spent 10 hours now troubleshooting the following with no success:

Bios was F3, I've updated to F6.
Manually set the frequency down to 3.6ghz
Set the voltage to 1.2/1.25/1.3
Enabled and Disabled XMP profile for 3200mhz RAM
Set frequency to 2133/2400/2666 for RAM
Load Optimized Default Settings
Test RAM in B1/B2
Test RAM Single Stick
Removed GPU completely
Reseated CPU

Is this the 3200 RAM throwing things out of wack? Is this a CPU or MOBO issue? My intention is just to get it up and running stock, no OC.

Lastly, for a video production studio using Adobe Creative Cloud and 3D CAD programs, is the 9900k even worth the extra boost, given it's stability issues? Are there noticeable gains? Or am I better off with a 8700k and z370 combo?

Thanks!

Solution
Did you figure out the root cause? I have a similar issue to yours both on i9-9900k with Z390 mobos. See my post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3863955/bsod-boot-loop-diagnosing-hardware-issues-dmp-files-attached.html.

I am suspecting it is my i9 CPU. It was able to boot temporarily into Windows if I limit in-use cores to 3 in my bios. Similar problem to individuals in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/a0pei1/just_fyi_i99900k_went_poof_died_suddenly_while_i/
well Whea Uncorrectable Error should not ever come from ram sticks issues. if you get this error you have to check parameter 1 to see the source. if parm 1 = 0 then the error is coming from inside the cpu (most often from the internal memory controller detecting a error on cache ram)

the error could be heat related. it is hard to say with out looking at the bugcheck data

Charles Hsu

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
Did you figure out the root cause? I have a similar issue to yours both on i9-9900k with Z390 mobos. See my post http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3863955/bsod-boot-loop-diagnosing-hardware-issues-dmp-files-attached.html.

I am suspecting it is my i9 CPU. It was able to boot temporarily into Windows if I limit in-use cores to 3 in my bios. Similar problem to individuals in this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/a0pei1/just_fyi_i99900k_went_poof_died_suddenly_while_i/

Solution
Dec 26, 2018

I also tried z370 motherboard, new psu, and 2133 RAM.

I ended up driving to Micro Center and purchasing an 8700k which worked on the first boot and ran Prime95 for 24+ hours stable. Ultimately, it was the 9900k. That's interesting that you can boot with only 3 cores. I spent 40+ hours troubleshooting and it was a relief to get a resolution. The chip lottery is at play pretty significantly with the 9900k it seems.... Best of luck, if you have the cash and the time to try another one maybe a new i9 will do the trick.

It all has absolutely nothing to do with the CPU's at all.

It's the MB BIOS that are the issue, all MB manufactures are having the same issues with the BIOS on the Z390 MB's.

THEY ALL overvolt the 9th gen CPU's or 8th Gen depending and by a lot, even on the Z370 MB's with the 9th gen optimized BIOS.

It seems they all know about the issues and are currently working on it, some are quicker than others however.

In short the MB makers blew it bigtime in regards to the BIOS.

Those MB's aren't going to run for long with those severe overvoltage's, that's why there are the failures and cooking the CPU's running them at 1.5V.

Yes, they Overvolt the 8th gen CPU's also with the later BIOS from what I have personally seen.

TRENDING THREADS