A 1-2-3-4 Plan For AMD To Beat Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]modtech[/nom]As the article stated, Intel is much much bigger than AMD. They have more funds for research, engineers, manufacturing facilities, marketing... you name it. Direct competition in such a situation is futile. BTW jimmy you're slightly wrong about AMD being "stubborn" about native quad cores. You think they wouldn't have preferred the simpler and cheaper route? This is AMD we're talking about you know. The problem was the way the K8's memory controller connects to the system, you can't tape two of those together and make it work. As for annonue's comment hold on a second and think, that's a pretty stupid thing to post. The quad to buy is still the aging Q6600, which is somewhat disappointing as I expected a full cache 45nm quad to replace it at the same price.[/citation]

Sorry, but the dual IMC thing is just a cheap copout, plain and simple. Ruiz opened his big mouth and proclaimed naieve quadcores as the second coming of christ. All the engineers in that company knew he was stupid to say it, but it's not the engineers who own the golden parachutes, is it?

G

I agree with the commenters who say that AMD probably cannot afford much advertising, but I strongly disagree with the commenters who think that advertising is not important. It may not be very much for the readers of this site, who will ignore any and all banners and go straight to the benchmarks, but the world is ful of idiots who buy iPods because the cool actors on TV have them, or who absolutely will not buy an AMD processor because they're cheap (and I know a lot of these people, and had to work hard to convince them otherwise, until the rise of the Core arquitecture made the point moot).

So, yeah, a good advertising campaign capable of playing into the pyschology of the average moron, like Apple's execrable campaigns, will win you more sales than any amount of benchmarks ever could.

weinheimer

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
The premise and article headline is not believable. I like AMD, have four AMD desktops and two intel laptops but Tom's really needs to get back to objective writing.

the four steps listed are, within reason, and possibly attainable but even if all of the steps are achieved, they will not have beaten intel. They will only compete more effectively and likely have become profitable.

To be taken as a serious journalist, your taglines must be straight forward and true or if not, obviously attention grabbing without misleading the reader. There is no way to spin "beat intel" Does that mean AMD would have more market share if they reach all 4 goals? more revenue? more profit? If you know anything about each company, AMD will not meet any one of those objectives even if they do reach all 4 of the goals you listed.

Your headline could say, 4 things AMD must do to get in the black. or 4 things AMD needs to win market share against intel but...

to say "A 1-2-3-4 Plan For AMD To Beat Intel" is just plain disingenuous. Catch a clue Tom's.

techtalk

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
The only technical advantage intel has is the process technology. Its ahead of AMD by 1.5 years. That is just killing AMD. AMD architecture is far better then any of the intel architectures.

darrylsh

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Forget the CPU's I think the real battle is with the chipsets. After being an Intel user I had switch to Athlon with a motherboard using a VIA chipset. Although the system was fast, the motherboard was never as stable as I would have like, though after several iterations of driver updates the board did improve.

After that I switch back to intel chipsets which of course used intel cpus' I again had a solid stable system.

Not learning from my past, I have again ventured into a non-intel chipset, this time being Nvidia for the sake of SLI, but still using a Intel CPU. Again, the board is very flaky and finicky about the hardware and bios settings used. I've managed to get it stable with chipset and bios updates, however still in the back of my mind I am thinking maybe I should have went with Intel crossfire. (though I've never been a fan of the Radeon cards which is why I didn't)

I was glad to hear that Intel and Nvidia reach an agreement which will allow intel chipsets to use SLI. When that comes out, it will probably be my next upgrade.

ZootyGray

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
This "anal eyes" writing provides nothing but a $hittEE outlook. This is pure textbook - or a pc proggie - (with blanks provided) Insert Company Name Here. boring.

And it is so lame - it sounds good - but it's abuse - and it's inciteful. Hey look at how everybody here is freaking out. That's what they want - you all have been divided and conquered. (sorry)

This is a flamewar in disguise. Unfortunately, it is possible to capitalize on abuse; because people do not know abuse - nor do they know they are being abused.

If you fight an enemy, you make the enemy real, you give your power away.

The abuse of "HOW TO" is that Now you have been told, so Now it's all your fault, because we told you how to. a recipe for neurosis and depression. NO THANK YOU BUTTHEAD

AMD has a secret. Watch. See. And the marketing is 'word of mouth'. And if people don't want to know - no problem. AMD knows what's happening - they have been tried in the fire and have learned much more than this butthead knows.

This is like those 'motivational speaker' things. It sets up a blind mindset - the individual becomes a machine. (or a mob of one mind)

We are beautiful, amazing, conscious creatures and we love ourselves. We need only be free to pursue our personal interests. This indulgence, recipe, 'nice idea', how to, old theoretical crawp is not how buddha got there - although he tried that too :)

Follow what you know is the way. At every darkest point on the road. Listen. "This is the Way". If you can't hear that then you can always fall back to this rubbish. It's about consciousness people. We are amazing creatures.

I am migrating away away away from this pathetic website - you can stay for more if you like. I wish they would just ban me for saying they sux so bad - but that's inciteful too - they feed on insanity. Divide and conquer.

HEY

BIASED MUCH?????????????

SCREW YOU ANAL-EYES ANALYST YOU MIND FOKKER - HAHAHAHA -

CMON KIKK ME OFF YOUR PRECIOUS SITE THAT ONCE WAS SO BEAUTIFUL - THAT YOU HAVE SOILED WITH YOUR FILTH

LIKE THERE'S SOMETHING TO LOSE HERE?

SPIT.

(goes away feeling free and giggling) :) :) :) :)

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Mathos[/nom].....Yeah they've done nothing, other than put out a complete platform using AMD/Ati Chipsets, processors and video cards. The 780g and 790gx chipsets both have fairly powerful IGP's capable of even playing some modern games, and lower res. As far as advertising, they've got a lot of things they could advertise or use to gain sales and OEM support. Lets see, they've got a fairly powerful htpc solution with the 780/790gx chipset, paired with a lower power phenom 9150e etc. It doesn't outperform Intels part, but they can advertise native quad, and point out the area's in which their processors are strong. Only thing they can't do is make false claims, like their processors are the fastest and what not. Note that Intel can't make that claim either, because all it takes is for someone with a k10 to point out a benchmark where the Phenom does better to debunk that. [/citation]

What I was thinking about is a mobo with a VGA solution more equivalent to a 3850 card, where they (maybe) do away with the PCIe interface. Such a mobo could cost less, come in a smaller package, and thus offer something really cool to those looking for a value PC.

conan2005

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
guy's it not about AMD beats Intel because bought company have bad ass cpu, and it is true that Intel is faster in games and other stuff, but do you really take advantage of this small gain in performance. it you think about it today offering from bought company are next-generation. delete the facts that Intel is faster in games. what you well get is just a cpu for Desktop users. If intel won and ended AMD the Honeymoon of today prices well be over and Intel will sell these cpus for a much more prices like they did before AMD strick back with Athlon and they were so kaky that they didn't low there prices because they asume that consumer are stupid and that they well normal buy Intel, but when consumer starting to know that amd is better they released the core 2 and won the performance war with amd.

denkab

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2008
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]Intel has been there and done that allready... I even think that AMD shoul build development factory to India or China......[/citation]

Are you sure it was not AMD's Indian development center that screwed up Barcey?

Milleman

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
It's 8 years now since I last bought Intel CPU's. As a Cyber Cafe ownar, I've always found AMD more compelling when it comes to price/performance. And as for the performance leader Intel? Well, I don't need or want to spend huge sums of money just because getting the absolute fastest CPU with the most FPS. My business would'nt benefit from that. As long as the games are running smoth without each and every grphich option set to "ON", our customers are smiling fine.
But for all the FPS Geeks, they probably should stay with Intel right now. No matter which CPU that comes out, the FPS will never be enough. Just like the people that like tune their cars, there will be no engine to keep them satisfied.

So... If I'm not into the FPS race, why should I buy Intel?

nirgal

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Marketing is what got folks into lines for the iPhone

No, it's not. It was the apple fanboys employed in media that "got folks into lines for the iPhone". Seriously, how could there not be one single article taking a critical view. That, compounded with the weekly or even daily "news" about it, sharing the same attitude, created the huge popularity. It just contantly amazes me that the people who should be experts in critical thinking are so completely willing to bend over backwards to do marketing for someone who doesn't even pay them.

There is an interesting file floating around the web which uses PowerPoint and animations to show the history of the Second World War.

Is there? Where!?!
There are these newfangled things, nowadays, that you can, you know, click with your mouse and then you, like, get transferred to viewing the location they refer to. Now, what were they called..? Dinks? Plinks? Clinks? Blinks?
Anyway, I don't know much about them but I've heard that they help other people find the resources you a referring to.

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
FTA
You can do everything else, but if you can’t promote your product, you might as well have retired early.
How many recall the marketing efforts of the Commodore Amiga? Probably none of us because it didn't exist! Yet, at that time, the Amiga was by a long shot the superior product. 16-bit stereo sound to IBM's PC speaker (or the AdLib car) and 4096 colors to the PC's 16 or 256 colors.
I agree 100% that without proper marketing, "pack it up and go home".

rapid1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
One thing I've noticed and was thinking about yesterday. Is'nt AMD/ATI working with one of there largest competitors Nvidia against intel on a major project right now USB3. I think there also working with intel on physics or a new way of 3d graphics called ray tracing or something. Oh and is'nt AMD making the highest performing low and midrange and next month the X2 which will then be the highest performing. Oh and for corporate graphics don't the already have the highest performing. Then of course speaking on cpu's there chips may be outperformed on the top end but on the middle end there competitive at least. But I forgot hardware enthusiast's buy more computers. Oh wait no thats wrong hardware enthusiast's are the lowest denominator as far as sales numbers go. Oh well if you forget corporate and military. Oh yeah AMD still owns corporate and that new military super computer we all payed for with our tax dollars was opteron's too wasn't it. Never forget it is always the darkest just before dawn. There's several other things that play into things that we're said in this article. Then of course I'm sure someone who get's payed six to 8 figures to tell company's these things. Would write it for an online hardware forum for free 5 years before he would tell one of his paying clients. Oh and INTEL chipset's already can use crossfire and have been able to a couple years I think. Remember when the dodgeball was coming at your head in elementary school, how you knew it was gonna feel great so you just stood there in bliss waiting for it to hit you.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
anyone want to fill in the real 1-2-3-4

1. offer a processor that matches or exceeds intel's current performance offerings
2. make it slightly cheaper then intel's
3. go directly to media partners when intel is caught off guard by AMD actually doing something right, so intel doesn't have time to spread FUD.
4. rinse, repeat
5. Innovate (which they did with platform, and 780G, but they need a processor that can compete)
6. Marketing (only when you product is worth marketing)
7. Split into competing teams for deciding the future architecture. Meet up take compatible ideas for competing teams... rinse, repeat.
8. Don't hype stuff that isn't out (Phenom)
9. Don't hype stuff that isn't true (AM2 - AM2+ compatibility)
10. Make stuff that works
11. Don't make everything a Black Edition unless everything is
12. Make Processors you can sell for $1000+ (they have to be worth $1000+ to consumers though)
13. Partner up with IBM, VIA, and others to get a larger perspective in research.
14. if you can't invest money what are the other things you can invest (time, whitepapers, resources)

We need competition, hopefully AMD can become competitive again

G

What struck me right off while reading this article was the mention of "a computer that will last 7 or 8 years". This statement alone shows the author of this article knows nothing about the lifecycle of computers. If you don't know the product which you are writing about then you really have business talking. I hope he used an 8 year old computer to write the article... oh yeah, not possible.

dark41

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I'm with Darrylsh.

I'm not sure AMD ever made a better product than Intel. Sure, the AMD64 was a decent CPU, but it could never handle multi-tasking the way the Pentium 4 did.

Also, while Intel set the rules for motherboard manufacturers for their chipsets, AMD relied upon the manufacturers to come up with their own chipsets. This resulted in many bad AMD chipsets and motherboards, and turned me against AMD in those days. (I was forced to toss a few Nforce 3 and Nforce 4 boards into the trash before giving up completely on AMD.)

I think there should be a #5 on this list because of these experiences. AMD should set and check standards for chipsets before allowing them to be certified for their CPUs, just like Intel has always done. :)

cubber

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
There is an interesting file floating around the web which uses PowerPoint and animations to show the history of the Second World War. You can actually see the point where Germany, which was unbeatable, overextended itself and then got beaten badly.

Do you have a link or filenames to Google for this? I'd like to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS