A $1600 rig out perform my $2500 rig??

kwing

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
In Overwatch i compared the FPS at same settings. The $1600 rig can capped out at 120-140 fps, while my rig is $2500 and only capped out at 100-110. Why is that?

$1600 build (not over clocked)
Processor: i7 7700k kaby lake
Mobo: Asus Z270 Prime AR
VGA: Asus ROG 1070 OC
Memory: Corsair (2*4gb) 16gb ram 3200mhz
Cooling: Corsair H100i V2
Storage: Samsung SSD 250gb
PSU: Corsair CX750M

$2500 rig (not overclocked)
Processor: i7 6800K Broadwell
MOBO: ASUS Rampage V Edition 10
VGA: GALAX 1070 Hall of Fame
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB (4*8gb) 32gb 3200MHz
Cooling: NZXT Kraken x52
M.2: Corsair MP500
Storage: Corsair XTI
PSU: Corsair RM850X

Kinda disappointed that I spent high dollars on my build and it got out perform from my friend.

Solution
What is your source for a start? Also the i7-7700K is pretty much the best Gaming CPU on the market as most games utilise faster 4 cores over slower 6/8 cores better. The 6800K would be more for rendering, editing and workstation related tasks which is where it outshines the 7700K. Other than that the GPUs are equal (excluding a different version of the 1070 which wouldn't change much). The rest of the parts listed wouldn't effect the FPS except the RAM but they are both the same speed, the bottom may have 32GB but games wouldn't use above 16GB so this wouldn't effect it. TLDR if you are choosing between the 2 and just want to game get the top, bottom would be for those looking into doing workstation stuff on the side, the CPU...

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
What is your source for a start? Also the i7-7700K is pretty much the best Gaming CPU on the market as most games utilise faster 4 cores over slower 6/8 cores better. The 6800K would be more for rendering, editing and workstation related tasks which is where it outshines the 7700K. Other than that the GPUs are equal (excluding a different version of the 1070 which wouldn't change much). The rest of the parts listed wouldn't effect the FPS except the RAM but they are both the same speed, the bottom may have 32GB but games wouldn't use above 16GB so this wouldn't effect it. TLDR if you are choosing between the 2 and just want to game get the top, bottom would be for those looking into doing workstation stuff on the side, the CPU would be why he is beating you in gaming. Hope this helps :)

Solution

Because the 6800K isn't a gamer's CPU. Your PC looks closer to an editing or other type of workstation.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Faster individual cores on a not particularly complicated game, of course its going to have more FPS. In fact unless the game scales properly to the cores of your 6800k the 7700k will outperform it in any game. When it comes down to it, for gaming, the 7700k is unbeatable right now, because games are still only a few cores.

Now that said, try encoding a video on yours, it would demolish the 7700k. Thats the advantage.

kwing

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Why build a ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 if they dont even build a gaming processor for the lga2011???
btw i just got into building computer and i decide to go all out on my first rig then i found out the 7700k can out perform anything right now in games..

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

As i just said in your new thread.... LGA 2011 isn't intended with Gaming in mind. It's an enthusiast and workstation CPU. Hence the high Core/Thread count as opposed to 1151 i7's being fast quads. As Rogue Leader said, don't be disappointing it still a very powerful CPU and won't leave you lacking in gaming in any way. Do anything that can utilise your CPU better like encoding and you will beat your mate's 7700K build. :D

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Theres no such thing as a "gaming processor". 110fps in a game is pretty damn good, and the 6800k can handle any game at well over 60 fps which is basically the minimum of "high performance" these days. Some folks want their gaming machine to do more, hence LGA2011. If you're someone who games and wants to stream at high quality, the 6800k will perform better than a 7700k doing that. Or if you encode video or do other types of work on your PC.

Yes for pure gaming the 7700k is the fastest way to go, but you still have a crazy fast rig there that in the end can do more than a 7700k based one, and when some future games start scaling to more cores may even keep up with or beat the 7700k in those games.

Lastly, Overwatch is about the worst performance metric for really fast systems. Its such a lightweight game. Try Battlefield 1 or Gears of War.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kwing : "Intel socket lga 2011-3 for gaming?"