[SOLVED] A bit of an odd Devolo question (powerline)

Dec 19, 2021
I have a long house (a farm) and another building next to it.
From one part of the house to the other, i have a network cable under the ground that goes to the other end.

When I connect Devolo´s Dlan1200+ everywhere, then the further I go from the modem, the worse the connection is. In the other building, the speeds drop a lot. +- 15 megabit left (not trustworthy).
The connection comes and goes all the time.

Is it possible to give the Devolo´s on the far edge a connection with the existing LAN port, so that it acts like a bridge so the connection is good there as well?

I tried it of course, but it doesnt work. The speeds do not change. Any way to fix this the way I thought?

Thank you in advance for any answer :)
devolo.jpg

Solution
I don't think there is a concept of master/slave or sender receiver. All the units are equal from what I understand and they all directly talk to each other kinda in a mesh.

TCPIP does do routing BUT that is a layer 3 concept. Powerline networks function at layer 2 using only mac addresses they have no understanding of ip addresses.

A powerline network can be best though of as a switch with ethernet ports that come out of the electrical outlet and use the electrical wires for the internal backplane
I assume you mean you had 2 cables, one short and one long, both connected to devolo units at the same time. Never tried this but this should cause a network loop and pretty much crash everything. Not sure if these units have a feature called spanning tree that is designed to prevent the loop. If it does then only 1 cable will work anyway.

What I would try is make 2 different powerline networks. They will of course actually all share the same electrical wires but if you change the pairing so you have 2 different groups they should function as 2 different networks. They will of course be connected to the same router and share the same IP ranges. It just means if a device say on unit 1 wants to talk to a device on unit 5 the traffic must passthrough the router rather than going directly via the powerline network.

In some ways it is "good?" that the speeds are bad between the buildings. This means you should have less interference between the 2 groups of powerline units.

Dec 19, 2021
I assume you mean you had 2 cables, one short and one long, both connected to devolo units at the same time. Never tried this but this should cause a network loop and pretty much crash everything. Not sure if these units have a feature called spanning tree that is designed to prevent the loop. If it does then only 1 cable will work anyway.

What I would try is make 2 different powerline networks. They will of course actually all share the same electrical wires but if you change the pairing so you have 2 different groups they should function as 2 different networks. They will of course be connected to the same router and share the same IP ranges. It just means if a device say on unit 1 wants to talk to a device on unit 5 the traffic must passthrough the router rather than going directly via the powerline network.

In some ways it is "good?" that the speeds are bad between the buildings. This means you should have less interference between the 2 groups of powerline units.

One cable goes from the router to the "first powerline" and the other one goes from the router to the powerline on the other side of the "other house".I would have hoped that the TCP/IP protocol would understand what is happening and fix it itself by routing the paths automatically. But this is not the case.
But I think that maybe I can buy another powerline adapter that is the "sender", like you propose. Then I have two powerline networks that probably can talk to each other because they are in the same network.
I do have to buy a "sender" or "home kit" though :/
I only have Dlan1200+ units.

Thank you for the advice. Maybe someone knows how to "mod"a Dlan1200+ or update it with different firmware so it acts like a "home unit/sender" (not sure how to call it).
Now I think of it... Maybe such a 2-port Dlan1200+ even can already act like it is a home unit/sender? (if I reset it)

Thank you!

I don't think there is a concept of master/slave or sender receiver. All the units are equal from what I understand and they all directly talk to each other kinda in a mesh.

TCPIP does do routing BUT that is a layer 3 concept. Powerline networks function at layer 2 using only mac addresses they have no understanding of ip addresses.

A powerline network can be best though of as a switch with ethernet ports that come out of the electrical outlet and use the electrical wires for the internal backplane

Solution