Question A component of the memory has possibly been fried by an update?

Aug 13, 2023
It all starts with a Windows 10 update that I let my computer do on shutdown. I leave for two days and before that I switch the house power off, thinking that the computer would have made it with a full battery.
I come back and the PC wouldn’t go beyond welcome screen, I pressed any key and it’d load for a second but then come back to the previous.
Tried a few things found online but none worked, I also did a reset of Windows (I was pretty carefree about it since I didn’t have important data saved locally) but no results. Desperate and thinking that windows was messed up, I try to install Linux (Elementary OS in this case) but that always ended up in an error (log follows).

ERROR: partitioning error: failed to commit logical partitions: unable to create volume group 'data qKzL3' on "/dev/mapper/data_qKzL3": vgcreate failed with status: 5 (Input/output error (os error 5))

ERROR: errored while installing system: failed to commit logical partitions: unable to create volume group
'data_qKzL3' on "/dev/mapper/data_qKzL3": vgcreate failed with status: 5 (Input/output error (os error 5))

INFO: Install error: failed to commit logical partitions: unable to create volume group 'data qKzL3' on "/dev/mapper/data_qKzL3": vgcreate failed with status: 5 (Input/output error (os error 5))

I thought that by just installing a Linux distro my problem would have been solved but now I got caught off guard.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I'd try and recreate your bootable USB installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools on a donor system and then reinstalling the OS, after formatting the drive on which the OS was initially on.

Reactions: angz
Aug 13, 2023
That’s what I thought to do after a while through the advanced installation of Elementary OS, but was afraid to mess it up even more and honestly I’m not super expert in partitions handling. I don’t know if that’s possible through that tool or should I recreate the partitions in another way?

(I guess I don’t count on installing windows anymore I guess)

EDIT: I partitioned my system again for a linux installation. Linux would sucessfully install, but after removing the USB and restarting I get "No Bootable Device" on screen like nothing has been installed ?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS