PROCESSOR: AMD Ryzen 5950x
MoBo: MSI Ryzen X570 MEG Unify
AIO: NZXT Kraken Z73
RAM: Corsair LPX 128GB (4x32) 3200 CL16
M.2 SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 1 TB
HDD: Seagate IronWolf Pro 6 TB
CASE: Cooler Master H500M
PSU: Corsair HX1000 Platinum

I'd love to ask you a couple of question about my MSI MEG X570 Unify.

First of all, the item I received has a label on box that says "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready"

mobo01.jpg

Does it mean that I don't need to update my BIOS through Flash BIOS in order to use 5950x? Is there any chance I can verify my BIOS version based on Serial Number without mounting everything?

Another question is about MoBo power supply. I noticed that it has two connection CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2

mobo2.jpg

Once I mount everything.. Do I need to connect both of them? (I'm asking this because some people are using CPU_PWR1 only and I'm trying to understand why there are two CPU_PWR).

Thank you so much for your help!

Solution
You can flash its bios with just the PSU attached, nothing else

Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button
Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive.
Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.
  1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the button LED starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100%...

Colif

Win 11 Master

Before updating: Please download the latest BIOS file that matches your motherboard model from MSI® website and rename the BIOS file to MSI.ROM. And then, save the MSI.ROM file to the root of USB flash drive.
Important Only the FAT32 format USB flash drive supports updating BIOS by Flash BIOS Button.
  1. Connect power supply to CPU_PWR1 and ATX_PWR1. (No other components are necessary but power supply.)
  2. Plug the USB flash drive that contains the MSI.ROM file into the Flash BIOS Port on rear I/O panel.
  3. Press the Flash BIOS Button to flash BIOS, and the button LED starts flashing.
  4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously

see page 57 of bios manual - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C35v2.1.pdf

Solution
Mar 23, 2021

4. After the flashing BIOS process is 100% completed, the LED would be off simultaneously
see page 57 of bios manual - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C35v2.1.pdf

Hi Colif thank you so much for you reply. Very appreciated.

However I'm already ok with update process without CPU mountend. I've read manual and watched lot of tuts. I just wanted to know if bios update it's necessary even if the box says "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready". Can I even know BIOS version based on my serial number?

Also (after mounting everything and updating bios) do I need to connect both CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2? What happens if I connect CPU_PWR1 only? Why there are two connection for Power Supply?

Thank you so much!

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't think you can identify bios version from version number, it would be a handy thing if they had some link. It would have saved me some time in the past

I been looking at pwr2, i found one answer where it was suggested its not needed, could just be for overclocking purposes (liquid nitrogen)
too many opinions, not enough concrete facts. I find people running with just 1 and others saying you need 2 - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/cpu-power-on-the-x570-motherboards-psu.1269844/

you only need 1 but the added cables are there for insurance, just in case. So if PSU has them, use them - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/does-my-5950x-need-1-or-2-x-8-pin-power-connectors.3662940/

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
Hi Colif thank you so much for you reply. Very appreciated.

However I'm already ok with update process without CPU mountend. I've read manual and watched lot of tuts. I just wanted to know if bios update it's necessary even if the box says "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready". Can I even know BIOS version based on my serial number?

Also (after mounting everything and updating bios) do I need to connect both CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2? What happens if I connect CPU_PWR1 only? Why there are two connection for Power Supply?

Thank you so much!
-bios update it's necessary even if the box says "AMD Ryzen 5000 Desktop Ready". = No but subjective, cause there a chance despite saying is 5000 Ready, it might not support 5950x. If it bootable and you having good experience so far without BIOS Update, then you are good to go without need the update.

-Can I even know BIOS version based on my serial number? = Nope

- do I need to connect both CPU_PWR1 and CPU_PWR2 =This is subject to subject of each model regardless the brand, most of mobo capable to support just 1x4PIN and there are some mobo with 2x4PIN required all of them to be connect. if you have PSU with CPU PIN 2x4 do so else having both pin giving more power feeding. Otherwise is usually work with just 1x4 CPU PIN .

Last edited: