A few all-in-one questions.. (ASUS M4A77TD)

squirr3lz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Hi, newcomer here and am looking for some simple answers (hopefully posting in the right place):

1. I have an ASUS M4A77TD motherboard and am currently using an HD 5770; would this motherboard support CrossfireX if I was to add another card and whatnot?

2. I realize that the board has a 'turbo key' which apparently allows me to OC/unOC though I have no idea how to activate it

Thanks in advance

squirr3lz

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Sorry, sort of a newb (if you can't already tell) but what exactly do you mean by ''Its not worth crossfiring when your second pcie slot is x4, ''? Would I be better off upgrading my card as opposed to using two of the same?

Also I found out how to activate the turbo key.

Crossfiring can work alright at x4: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/08/25/gtx_480_sli_pcie_bandwidth_perf_x16x16_vs_x4x4/

A single fast card is nicer than SLI/Crossfire--mostly because it always scales to 100%, but also due to tearing effects. A single 5850 should get you roughly the performance of an SLI'd 5770--but SLI'ing is cheapest.

Yes, Sorry for assuming you knew the lingo :p
if you run 2 cards where both pcie lanes run at 16x its optimal,
most mainstream boards will offer 2 lanes running at 8x and a board with 2 lanes running at 16/4 slows the faster slots card down to the point its often pointless,
as Dalauder said, its preferable to run a single better card than 2 at a mismatched crossfire.
did the turbo key do what you wanted/expected it to?
glad you sorted that out though
Moto