A Kindler, Gentler Copy Protection for Red Alert 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darcotech

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004
I think EA (and all soft companies for that matter) are shooting themselves in the foot by acting like this. It has been proven that having any kind of protection doesn't stop people from downloading. I am too for boycott,but please do not download the games from torrents,as this show disrespect to great guys from dev teams that were doing great job. Lets not buy games to punish those managers that are just taking money to buy themself one more porche/house/whatever...and have no idea what a great game is(they probably don't give a damn sh**). Programmers, leave your companies (EA) and make your own studios and offer us reasonable priced good games without any DRM. You get rich, we get happy.Less illegal download(which will be always no matter what,as some people can not offer themselfs a new game,cause they have food and living to pay). Cheers to everybody

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
[citation][nom]spiralsun1[/nom]WHAT!?!?! are you people CRAZY???? I HAVE POSTED BEFORE THAT SOMEONE NEEDS TO START USER-FRIENDLY ONLINE ACTIVATION LIKE MICROSOFT DOES AND MY DREAMS CAME TRUE!!!!!! What is everyone's problem? 5 computers is more than enough -- and you DONT HAVE TO USE THE @#%&!! DISK!!! THE #1 reason that playing on computers is better! This could SAVE PC gaming and turn it all around again. We should applaud and welcome this. I bought spore as soon as it came out and i can play it on the upstairs, downstairs, adn laptop ANYWHERE without searching for a sure-to-be-scratched-silly disk!!! My kids are ALWAYS losing them... I stopped playing many games simply because I could not find the disk and could not spend the time to find it. On the contrary, I will not buy ANY disk that DOESN'T have this type of protection. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/citation]

DUDE WTF, over?!? you love this what are you high? By installing Spore on 3 computers already you have just USED up all over your activations, and now that DVD you have is basically useless, just wait til a month or so from now, and one of those computers gets its registry hosed, and you have to reinstall Windows on it, and try to reinstall Spore on it, Good effin Luck!, you obviously do NOT know whats going on here, most of us, WANT to give EA our money for a legit copy of said game, but DO NOT want to be shackled down by DRM, theres not one good thing that Securom offers us consumers, plain and simple

SecuRom2 is a malicious "root-kit" in my definition, its a program that restricts and / or can cause harm or damage to my system, and was install WITHOUT my consent, I dont see an option on these games to bypass the install of it, or HELL even a notice what the program does even securom's site doesnt list what the program does, thus imho its an malicious program since i cant go into ADD/Remove Programs and uninstall it, I dont need an evil agent for EA and other publishers spying on me to makesure im legit I have a pile of boxes of games under my desk to prove i PURCHASE all my software thank you very much

I'd like EA to specify the consumer benefits of using Securom, as im sure the list wouldnt be long, hell non-existant, what Securom specifics does, and WHY they think its important for us to use, if they want to restrict RESALE of the games, why do they think they've earned that right to control it

personally i believe i have the right to back-up my cd/dvds as we all know they get scratched easily, and I should be able to reinstall the game as many times as i see fit too, as I install windows every 6 months, and i cant tell you how many times ive reinstalled Civ4, Diablo 2, and other games, even if the DMCA has declared it illegal to copy the DVD, just because its a law doesnt mean its JUST, hell just look at all the state statutes out there, theres tons of stupid laws out there that technically people violate every day and the way our politicians operate now-a-days, we consumers dont have a voice in congress because we cant afford the lobbyists to be our special interest group for us "When Injustice becomes LAW; Rebellion becomes DUTY!"

I've already said before these aholes (read publishers) are just stupid, there is no logical sense in Securom, and we are all just being punished for Piracy, but most of us are being forced into it, I dont agree with Piracy, but I can also understand why peeps will do it, we are sick of this $h1t, plain and simple, and we realize we'd spend $50 on a game, so $50 translated into effort of finding a pirated version and dealing with the hassles of getting it to work, if EA would just utilize Stardock or Steam to provide us their games all of this Securom crap could be avoided, until EA provides this service or REMOVES securom2 from their future titles, I'm jumping on the BOYCOTT Bandwagon and telling EA to eff off!

ntkeith

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Wanna help the boycott? Post a review, just stating you were unable to install the game because of the virus it contains. And guess what?? It is true, SecuRom is a virus, by the common definition of a computer virus: "A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself and infect a computer without permission or knowledge of the user."

I never gave SecuRom permission? Seems to fit for me.

The great part about this, uneducated computer users will run screaming from this. This will be an effective boycott.

vaskos5

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
So, I purchased this game a couple of weeks ago. I opened it and installed it and even played it once. The game is great. Then someone mentioned to me the restriction. So, I did some searching and lo and behold it is all true. This I am sure was all spelled out to me in the license agreement, which admittadly I didnt read. Honestly, I never even imagined EA would do something so nasty. What I find interesting, is that I would have to open and install the game to find out this infromation. This restriction is definately not spelled out clearly on the box. So, where am I going with this. I propose a class action lawsuit. See, now that I opened the package I can not return it to the place of purchase. So, I was tricked, duped, whatever you call it. I should have been aware of this restriction based on the packaging. Now I have to try to get a credit from EA. I refuse to own a game that does this, for all the reasons stated so many times by others. I am going to give my lawyer a call tomorrow and check into a class action lawsuit. If anyone else has any experience with these matters please chime in.
Thanks

G

I have just bought Red Alert 3, Nice, Not, some of us still ownn computers without internet at home, due to the fact that telkom can't supply decent lines, My question is, what the hell No, did i just throw 400 bucks in the water, Comon EA, get your act right

G

Hi,

Nice post! I am really thankful to you for providing this information.

Copy Protection Software

Status
Not open for further replies.