A Kindler, Gentler Copy Protection for Red Alert 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
How is this better? We already knew this limitation was going to be left to 5 installs... I have bought (sometimes multiple times even), played, hosted large LAN parties to, and enjoyed the entire line of games from the C&C universe (minus Renegade, that just sucked), but C&C 3 - Kane's Wrath may have been my last.

I will NEVER by a game that succumbs to treating me like a thief and leaves me no recourse should the developer/distributer go bellyup. I buy a game to play it and with how many times I redo my Windows Installation, I wont be hassled.

Until the DRM is removed, I wont be buying this game along with a lot of others I know and boycotting it's play at all the hosted LAN's. SecuROM DRM will not make the pirate's out there stop much less slow down, why am I going to be treated worse as a paying customer. And here I thought C&C3 was a shout in the direction of progress for the franchise, looks like Red Alert 3 wants to become the wimper... Oh well... My vote is dont buy dont play, anyone else?

I'll buy it when

1) I can run it in a virtual machine so I don't have to worry about getting rid of SecureROM

2) When it's in the bargin bin since I'm not paying $60 for something I can only install a few times. I upgrade my computer all the time as well as installing and uninstalling games as I feel the urge to play them.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
^Yeah... sort of poor reaction time on the article. The link referenced is for forum posts that were from September 8th. I'm not sure why it took a week to report this.

onearmedscissorb

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
What a bunch of idiots. Despite the fact that Spore is already set to become the most pirated game of all time, RA3 will probably eclipse it because of this.

G

Wow 5 that means we are still renting the game when will these idiots get it No more secru rom

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Megamanx00[/nom]I'll buy it when1) I can run it in a virtual machine so I don't have to worry about getting rid of SecureROM2) When it's in the bargin bin since I'm not paying $60 for something I can only install a few times. I upgrade my computer all the time as well as installing and uninstalling games as I feel the urge to play them.[/citation]

I used to think virtualization is not feasible for home use. I am so wrong, and thank you for enlighten me on this one. Time to get a VMWare and a spare copy of Windows XP. I finally find some use of quad core.

G

4sure, when will these noob rookies ever learn! I agree Fulle they are seriously dumb ******* I too will not buy a copy of RA3 SPECIFICALLY because it DOES have DRM! Laughing $tock and they sit in their plush gold plated dog houses wondering "....hmmmm why won't they buy our crap? Why are they cracking our software???!!!" Well why rent a piece of crap for $60 bucks? If I'm only going to install it 5 times well then.... why not just use a crack? Save me a $60 dollar rental fee ....sheeesh no brainer. (and they got degrees and education with lots of money but still tryn 2 figure this one out)

G

4sure, when will these noob rookies ever learn! I agree Fulle they are seriously dumb ******* I too will not buy a copy of RA3 SPECIFICALLY because it DOES have DRM! Laughing $tock and they sit in their plush gold plated dog houses wondering "....hmmmm why won't they buy our crap? Why are they cracking our software???!!!" Well why rent a piece of crap for $60 bucks? If I'm only going to install it 5 times well then.... why not just use a crack? Save me a $60 dollar rental fee ....sheeesh no brainer. (and they got degrees and education with lots of money but still tryn 2 figure this one out)

i'm still not buying it.

I don't want a rootkit on my computer period! I can live without it.

For people who don't understand - Securom is a kit that "Roots" itself into your OS. Causing certain things to fail and not work properly anymore. it also leaves a huge hole in your security where a hacker can gain total control of your computer. Read EA using your computer to send you ADs.

This is in fact what EA is doing. This has been proven in previous court cases.

Now if you still want that on YOUR computer that YOU own by all means install it and watch as your computer crashes. Even reports of drives failing entirely.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
these dudes don't get that its not the limit that gets the consumers mad, its THE FACT THERE IS ONE... i mean sure, if it was like 100re-installs, than hey, WHY NOT. but seriously, don't act like you care by adding to more installs on the game. another game on my pee-on list.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I so badly want this game and have already paid for it at my local gamestop, but will now have to go move my money to another title without this invasive software.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I support a full boycott of EA. No EA games - console, PC, or pirated version (because if I am unwilling to pay for it, I shouldn't play it). I will not relent until they remove their restrictive policies on all products.

To those considering virtualization, a few recommendations:

1) Use VMWare Workstation 6.5 beta, which supports DX9, with linux or Windows systems; VMWare fusion with Macs. Your hardware profile will be "generic", so if you upgrade your system you won't initiate a reactivation. Better yet, if the image is on an external hard drive or network share, you can move the image and thus access your XP game station from several different computers!

2) Use Symantec Altiris SVS 2.1 to virtualize the install - its free for personal use. This program captures file and registry structures and allows you to turn them on or off. With a global capture, all that crap (such as SecuROM) can be turned off when the game is not in use! Talk about an easy uninstall. Better yet, you can create a VSA (virtual software archive) and back it up - that if your image gets corrupted, reinstallation is really reimportation and won't trigger an activation! (Also, unlike other application virtualization solutions, capturing an install is not complicated - it is as difficult as installing the application normally.)

G

I would say get the torrent, see if it's worth the money and buy if it's so, BUT STILL, use the f**king crack. The devs can't do anything about it and all that work MUST be respected. Boycott the game if you feel so but don't expect to have quality games in the future.

I miss the shareware days were you could play 1/3(5) of the game for free and then decide if it's worth it. I remember Doom 1, the first chapter was free!!! Wanna play more ? Then pay. I to developed games and I to know what monstrous amount of work is put into.

I think this BS has gone to far. There will always be thieves, murderers etc. but this doesn't mean that everyone is and this doesn't mean everyone should be treated like one.

Anyway, there will always be a bigger and better gun to break a bigger and better shield and the reverse. At least some guys get a brain workout on both sides.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
WHAT!?!?! are you people CRAZY???? I HAVE POSTED BEFORE THAT SOMEONE NEEDS TO START USER-FRIENDLY ONLINE ACTIVATION LIKE MICROSOFT DOES AND MY DREAMS CAME TRUE!!!!!! What is everyone's problem? 5 computers is more than enough -- and you DONT HAVE TO USE THE @#%&!! DISK!!! THE #1 reason that playing on computers is better! This could SAVE PC gaming and turn it all around again. We should applaud and welcome this. I bought spore as soon as it came out and i can play it on the upstairs, downstairs, adn laptop ANYWHERE without searching for a sure-to-be-scratched-silly disk!!! My kids are ALWAYS losing them... I stopped playing many games simply because I could not find the disk and could not spend the time to find it. On the contrary, I will not buy ANY disk that DOESN'T have this type of protection. COME ON PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bjornlo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Virtualban[/nom]The EA Boycott continues. EA prepare for another crappy 1 star review on all shopping networks.Me too![/citation]
Indeed! This is just BS. This is just not good enough. Why should I give any money to anyone that wants to treat me like a criminal if I do? I can certainly understand why people DL this instead of paying for it. Spore was available immediately on the 'net. So this does not slow down illegal downloads, in fact it does the opposite. It encourages piracy!

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
spiralsun - now wait until you have to reinstall it on any of those computers, and you will find out why a 3 time install is VERY annoying

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
All i can say is, that i haven't done anything until EA messed up the patches for Kanes Wrath. This is just the latest and greatest escapade. And it is happening on the consoles too. Just take a look at Ubisofts Rainbow six vegas 2 which was sold as a multiplayer with a not working multiplayer mode or Kanes Wrath. For now i will stop buying games until they show up in the bargaining bin and will rate them down on every site that i'm registered at until the companies responsible change their DRM and patching policies. While i and most enthusiasts aren't the targeted audience, we are actually the one that can make the most noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.