A list of recommended PSUs

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I'm currently running with the TPN750, doubt I'll change it since I went thru the trouble of putting my system back into a case
Never a problem with the native cables, the only one that doesn't get used is the 4 pin and under certain circumstances that isn't an issue, fashioned a 4 pin ATX to 6 pin pcie for use with the 550w so I didn't need to use the modular cable

I just ordered a second 360G for my PC-Q08R. The one I bought last month for my wife's new PC has remained quiet, and that system is on all day, every day (shut down at night). I'll be running an i5-650 and a HD7750 with it as a general purpose build for a niece.

thebeeskneez22

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Hey guys,

Just looking for a clarification here. I'm in the process of building a computer and at the moment determining what power supply to get. As of now, for the sake of possible 4-way SLI in the future, I am looking for a power supply in the 1000W - 1250W range. The one that I have had my eye on is the SeaSonic X-1250 80+ Gold PSU, but I always like to explore my options before making a concrete decision on what to get. Is there any brands that are preferable over others? I am hoping to stay on the 1250W just in case I start adding things.

Because I always get asked this, I am looking to do some minor video rendering on this machine and some gaming.

My build ATM:

Asus Maximus V Extreme
32 GB Corsair Vengeance at 1866MHz
Intel i-7 3770k Base Clock at 3.5 GHz
EVGA Signature 2 GTX 680 2GB
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooling
About 6 Fans with a Fan controller
Samsung 830 Series SSD 128 GB
Western Digital 1TB Black Caviar

I am not sure your suppose to be asking that here but the mod is pretty cool i think he will let it slide lol.Anyways as far as brand goes no that is not how you pick a power supply IMHO anyway.As much as the power (Watts) requirement matters, the current requirement, measured in Amps is as important if not even more important. This is especially true if you have an or several dedicated video card(s). As a general rule of thumb, you are aiming for the highest number on the 12V line.The SeaSonic X-1250 is a good choice and will be enough.

^ I think your thinking straight and one bad review would not be enough to persuade me.I think everybody should have solid proof and facts reliable respectable trustworthy reviews as proof example AnandTech,techpowerup,Guru3D, HardOCP, and jonnyGURU things not creditable newegg reviews,blanket statements, sites like tweaktown get out here with crap like that it's not reliable IMHO what do you all think?

I find it rather amusing
They are entry level ( low budget ) power supplies ( $20-$25 after rebate for the 430w since it was introduced ) meant to be an alternative to other entry level units like those available from CM
The Corsair name made everyone feel warm and fuzzy about them and the reviews from HWS and JG helped to reinforce that
Now someone has pointed out a failure of a cheap cap that we know, from those reviews, has been there since the beginning and all of a sudden it's OMG these are crap
There are still some wannabe experts proclaiming how it's much better than a comparable CM, because " it's a Corsair "
Buy a cheap power supply, shouldn't be a surprise that you get a cheap power supply, no matter who's name is on it

Well i am not shocked rather disappointed but it is what it is and that makes perfect sense to me thanks! :)

Exactly. These units always made me feel uncomfortable (despite the good competent technical reviews), perhaps fearful that, like some OCZ, they wouldn't hold up. Well, that seems to be the case. Corsair has tried to rely on its name, and damaged itself. I hope they take a lesson from it.

No, the max 12V power is 336W. Have a look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/324368-28-computer-power-supplies-guide#t2441598
That will help you I think.

This is a list of often recommended PSUs, not very good PSUs or well reviewed PSUs. If I miss a shift and some PSUs are being frequently recommended that I should add, then I'm happy to do that.

It's a cheap PSU, and you get what you pay for. How hard were the caps that failed being pushed? How hot were they? I have to pretty much ignore the one claim that the failed cap took out a motherboard... he has a failed cap and a failed motherboard. Any guess as to causality there is just that, a guess.

whooleo

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010

Actually my bad and your bad because I forgot the Antec EarthWatts 380D uses a dual 12V rail design, 17amps on one and 15 on the other. One cannot simply just add up the amperage from multiple rails because PSUs don't work that way (however some PSUs state that they have multiple rails but in reality they don't).

Well I got a Antec High Current Gamer Series 750w for $73.99 at Microcenter.
Pretty happy with it.
CF/SLI certified with four 6+2 PCIe power
%88 percent efficient

they call it a quad rail design at 40a per rail but I know that cannot be 4 independent rails

do you think I can SLI dual GTx 480s with it?