A Message to the Tom's Hardware Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefyte

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
Seen the new logos in the awards given this year, you managed to spoiler yourself ;)
It's good to see the site trying to renew itself from time-to-time.

G

I cannot think of a single time a site "improved" itself where it didn't become harder to navigate, and less useful. Don't change anything. :)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
All I ask is a way to filter out Apple news. I'll be happy. That'll work for Apple fanboys, as well as those who only want to read Apple news.

Oh, and hire someone to proofread before posting. It's quite sloppy from time to time. You know it's ridiculous when most of the comments are about the typos vs the topic at hand.

Edit: Biting my own tongue here. Had to make a correction. :D

I would rather have site wide changes over an Icon/Logo change, like:

* Proof read your articles/news before posting....
* Listen to your readers (especially the loyal ones) and respond quickly to their needs/wants if at all possible.
* Keep the Best Gaming CPU's/GPU's/SSD's for the $ articles!!
* Run more than 1 "Best Configs" build per year (every 6 months would be better). This way you have a fresh build with the latest tech involved. 1 year between configs makes for a very stale site.

seanpull

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
Tom's Hardware has kept it's integrity, even though times change. We all know that computer hardware and PC gaming were much bigger when Tom's Hardware began. However, they continues to post things that the typical electronics consumer simply doesn't care about, and I respect that. Even the fact that they post messages like this is really awesome. In a sea of overcommercialization, Tom's Hardware has stayed true to themselves. A minor logo change is no issue. This community is still as intelligent and helpful as ever. I just want to thank everyone who has made Tom's Hardware what it is.

jcurry23

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
hey pennanen, how is apple not about technology?? They post a lot of stuff on here about apple because they are trying to patent everything and trying to sue everybody. I dislike apple myself. If you don't like hearing about apple you might want to turn off the tv, the computer, tablets, and phones because sad to say Apple is every where.

MichaelSP

Honorable
Oct 26, 2012
The new look is good! I always like to see websites change, even just in small ways. And Tom's Hardware is one of those websites I look at several times each week (if not each day) and is definitely one of my favourite! 13 years at it? Many more still ahead! :D

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]vrumor[/nom]Find a way to keep f'in idiots off of here asking for free keys for Windows 7 32bit Ultimate (LOL) and how to hack into their GFs computers that are passworded. Seriously.[/citation]
Google is so difficult.

/sarcasm

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
Heres a tip for logo's, dont fold towards the 'most simple possible' design like ebay and microsoft fell too, this is boring, unskillfull, and lazy. Make it a logo full of talent and art.

I'm still in the evaluation phase

I'll miss the old hammer but suspect the new hammer will grow on me. Not sure about the up/down arrow and that red dot, though. Are we at Tar-Jay ? :)

I'd also support dropping the "On Tech" - LOL - and simply going with "The Authority"

If folks think you are peddling lumber and nails they likely should not be on the computer, anyway ...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I would hope since 1996 they fix the bots that post ad's in the comments section, learn to spell correctly, and stop all the ad's..... alternative entertainment sites have less ad's and pop-ups than this site does which is really sad.

They have completely lost focus of what the users want.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
like the logo's i will echo lunyone abotu the proofreading one, i know it would cost money btu a technical editor would do you guys alot of good, some articles can be hard to read, but your benchmarks are top notch and they are what keeps bringing me back

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]mouse24[/nom]I hate change. Though if its just a logo I guess I can.... Ehh nah still hate change.[/citation]

I think this is one of the core issues of society's problems - it propagates stagnation.
Change can be very good... the question lies in the TYPE of change that is taking place.
The questions one should probably be asking: How will this change affect us? What will come of it?
What kind of benefits or shortcomings can it create?

Of course, in the case of a logo change, it might be a bit of an extreme, but clearly, the point stands.
Heck, even in the case of a simple logo change you can ask yourself if you think this type of change will be good for the web-site, do you like the logo, etc.

And this is probably why many people are 'left in the dust'. But its' all part of their upbringing and amount of information they accumulated to this point.

Personally, I cannot say I find anything particularly of importance to the logo change as it appears to be relatively minor/unnoticeable.

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Whatever the change you have alot of credibility with me. I mostly would like to see the community continue to set itself apart from the rest. This is my favorite website for the community and articles. I would ask that we take it one more step and be even more patient and nice in each of our comments as this is a place we want to feel at home. Thanks

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Thanks all for the feedback! I can certainly attest to the fact that a lot of thought and consideration went into the new logos and living up to what the Tom's community as a whole expects from the brand. We're making positive changes site-wide in the coming months, and you'll be seeing more improvements to some of the things mentioned in the comments here - spam prevention, forum features, usability just to name a few.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the new changes, and don't forget to check out the new forum platform open beta going on now for a sneak peek at some of the upcoming forum improvements here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-68.html

We're glad to have you guys with us. :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Great site. The new look is consistent with the tone of the "Tom's" mission. Keep on, keepin' on.

Tom's reputation comes from the quality of its forum members and the content presented here. As long as we maintain standards for conduct and sharing, this will continue to be a great (arguably the best) resource for tech/geek advice on the 'Net.

BTW, I, for one, like the new look. Good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.