[SOLVED] A monitor that's good for BOTH gaming and video editing?

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
I just got a new 3080 prebuilt and I'm looking for a monitor that has decent specs for gaming but is also color accurate and would work for pro video editing. I'm hoping to spend max $500 (although maybe a bit more if that's my only choice). Ideally it would be 4k or 1440p and have HDR.

So far the best I've found might but the Asus Pro Art 4k at bestbuy. I think I'm okay with 60hz as I'm used to console gaming at 30 or 60fps max already -- this is my first gaming PC (unless you PC pros think 60hz is a terrible idea). I'm a bit worried though about input lag (haven't found that data) and also people are having issues with that monitor failing to auto sleep/maybe even some burn in.

All this said, every article online is about EITHER a gaming monitor OR a work monitor, but never one that can do both! I'm wondering if any of you know any solid monitors for both? Thanks so much for taking the time!

Solution
For me work just means great color accuracy and ideally a wide color gambit.
that would also apply to any nice gaming monitor though.

i guess the only real difference may be a "gaming" monitor should have higher refresh rates, lower response times, and adaptive sync features.
i would want those features in any display i'd be using though, whatever it's intended purpose.

I just got a new 3080 prebuilt and I'm looking for a monitor that has decent specs for gaming but is also color accurate and would work for pro video editing. I'm hoping to spend max $500 (although maybe a bit more if that's my only choice). Ideally it would be 4k or 1440p and have HDR.
you may have better luck finding a nicer OLED TV with these features...
I think I'm okay with 60hz as I'm used to console gaming at 30 or 60fps max already
i would definitely not be limiting my display to 60Hz with an RTX 3080.
120Hz would be the lowest i would use with that card, 144-165Hz would be ideal.
I'm a bit worried though about input lag
make sure it has a low response time, 2ms or lower.
every article online is about EITHER a gaming monitor OR a work monitor, but never one that can do both
what do you consider the difference between a work or gaming monitor to be?

HOLDERofFOOD

Honorable
Feb 12, 2016
i would definitely not be limiting my display to 60Hz with an RTX 3080.
120Hz would be the lowest i would use with that card, 144-165Hz would be ideal.
make sure it has a low response time, 2ms or lower.
what do you consider the difference between a work or gaming monitor to be?

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
I'm looking for a new monitor with a similar use case. Per Tom's 'Best Picks' article, the Dell S3220DGF seems like an ideal choice. I was set on this, just that it seems to be out of stock in my region, among all local retailers including Amazon.

that would also apply to any nice gaming monitor though.

i guess the only real difference may be a "gaming" monitor should have higher refresh rates, lower response times, and adaptive sync features.
i would want those features in any display i'd be using though, whatever it's intended purpose.

you may have better luck finding a nicer OLED TV with these features. most are more than $500 though.
my LG CX is 4K, 120Hz, Freesync Premium\G-Sync Compatible, HDR.

Solution
Per Tom's 'Best Picks' article, the Dell S3220DGF seems like an ideal choice. I was set on this, just that it seems to be out of stock
has always been available on Newegg.
is also currently available on Amazon for a couple hundred less.

specs do not state if it is certified G-Sync Compatible so i would not purchase it for an Nvidia card until verifying that it is.

virtualdanger

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
has always been available on Newegg.
is also currently available on Amazon for a couple hundred less.

specs do not state if it is certified G-Sync Compatible so i would not purchase it for an Nvidia card until verifying that it is.
I'm based in Poland; and there seems to be no stock. Infact I checked with one of the retailers, and they said that they are delisting the item as it has been out of stock for long, with no update on resupply. I can purchase it through Amazon.de in Germany, but its priced at $630, which I don't think is a good deal.

Any suggestions?

Optionally, can you perhaps suggest a similar monitor? 32", 1440p resolution, Good color reproduction, 144 Hz refresh?

Endre

Reputable

So far the best I've found might but the Asus Pro Art 4k at bestbuy. I think I'm okay with 60hz as I'm used to console gaming at 30 or 60fps max already -- this is my first gaming PC (unless you PC pros think 60hz is a terrible idea). I'm a bit worried though about input lag (haven't found that data) and also people are having issues with that monitor failing to auto sleep/maybe even some burn in.

All this said, every article online is about EITHER a gaming monitor OR a work monitor, but never one that can do both! I'm wondering if any of you know any solid monitors for both? Thanks so much for taking the time!

ViewSonic VP2768-4K (27”, 4K UHD, IPS, 60Hz, 10-bit, brightness=350cd/m, contrast=1300:1) is a professional grade monitor that is decent for gaming too.

4K gaming takes a lot of “horse power”, so even keeping the game running at constant 60FPS with ray tracing on at 3840x2160p resolution will be a challenge.
So 60Hz panels are still acceptable.

ViewSonic VP2768-4K (27”, 4K UHD, IPS, 60Hz, 10-bit, brightness=350cd/m, contrast=1300:1) is a professional grade monitor that is decent for gaming too.

4K gaming takes a lot of “horse power”, so even keeping the game running at constant 60FPS with ray tracing on at 3840x2160p resolution will be a challenge.
So 60Hz panels are still acceptable.
You can bump the resolution down to 1440p and it'll still look fairly nice in games. It might look a tad bit blurrier if you compared it side by side to a native 1440p 27" monitor, but I'd call that nitpicking territory.