A new hard drive for a Dell N7110

Mpstyler

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Hey everyone. My wife bought a Dell N7110 17" laptop from Dell about 2 and 1/2 years ago. There has always been a problem with the hard drive, but unfortunately it just went critical after Windows started sending warnings about "backing up your information before the hard-drive quits". Now, I can't even run system repair to get Windows operational again. It's time to buy a new hard drive, and the warranty is now void.

Luckily, I'm a bit of a computer nerd and I have built desktops in the past, but laptops are something unfamiliar to me. I'm also planning on finding a technical career in IT shortly, so this is a good experience for me. I've taken it apart to clean it once, now I'm thinking I'll go ahead and buy a new hard drive and install it myself.

My question is

1) What kind of hard-drive would you folks recommend (a basic 1 TB hard drive should be fine) and....

2) Do you have any tips, suggestions or videos about how I should approach this.

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Mpstyler

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks for the reply.

I apologize, but I should be more specific with my question.

Exactly what "kind" of hard-drive do I need to work with this laptop? Obviously a hard-drive for a laptop from 10 years ago won't work, what kind of "hard drive tech" will work with the motherboard from a Dell Laptop that is 2 and 1/2 years old?

Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks

Mpstyler

Reputable
Jan 28, 2015