A New Skylake-Based Intel Compute Stick Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I can't wait until USB C becomes an common input option on TVs. Tech like this will literally be plug and play into a single input with the ability to transmit 4K with power coming from the TV itself.

I'm with you on that. 4.5W TDP seems to be the sweet spot for devices like this. A solid power envelope they can work with and step up performance as efficiency improves over time. It would be great not to need an extra power cable for it, and with all that SuperMHL is capable of, you could have everything in one quick easy plug.

CRITICALThinker

Distinguished
This is quite a feat actually. Getting a 3Ghz 4 threaded CPU with 515 graphics on a stick is quite an accomplishment! +1 to Intel for that. 4.5W TDP also.

If you read the article, it seems that it is only the m3 and m5 that are going into the stick

Yes sorry if it wasn't clear. Only the m3 and the m5 with vPro. Still a dual-core with hyperthreading with a max clock speed of 2.4 GHz paired with the low-power yet capable Intel HD 515 graphics capable of running in a compute stick is quite an accomplishment.

They haven't said what type of RAM will be used yet, but I hope they end up using DDR4. If they do, this little thing will actually do a decent job of playing older games too.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Why plug it in at all, with the price of these things why not build it into the TV to begin with and have a smart TV that's a fully functional PC as well. Compared to the slow clumsy operation of Smart TV's I've used this would be awesome.

I still use a NUC myself though, the compute stick just wasn't quite there yet for me.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

Yes sorry if it wasn't clear. Only the m3 and the m5 with vPro. Still a dual-core with hyperthreading with a max clock speed of 2.4 GHz paired with the low-power yet capable Intel HD 515 graphics capable of running in a compute stick is quite an accomplishment.

They haven't said what type of RAM will be used yet, but I hope they end up using DDR4. If they do, this little thing will actually do a decent job of playing older games too.

The Core M processor currently only supports DDR3L. There hasn't been an official statement from intel as to why that is.

That is the Broadwell Core M you are thinking of. These are Skylake Core M SKUs, with the same memory controller used on all Skylake products. They support DDR3 and DDR4.

That might happen some, but there will be a place for devices like this market until all displays are smart displays, which will likely never happen. Really, this is a better solution. You have to live with it dangling out of your display, but it also lets you upgrade it whenever you want.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
The Core M processor currently only supports DDR3L. There hasn't been an official statement from intel as to why that is.

because DDR4L uses more pins, therefore requiring the cpu die to be bigger.

on a side note, how do we hook up external storage?
i see one type c port and thats gonna be used for power, unless they make a hub for it, or daisy chain?

alfanet

Honorable
Sep 4, 2015
Imagine a dock on TVs or monitors to embed this kind of sticks, you will have your own upgradable AIO computer, tired of your old monitor, or moving from place on your home/work, just remove the stick, and plug in the new monitor or TV. That's it.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011

No but really, the Intel slides only list support for DDR3L. There is no support for DDR4 on Skylake M. Even the slide for this article shows that.

joex444

Distinguished
4 threads isn't as impressive when two are virtual, and 3GHz isn't as impressive when it's only a single core turbo clock. It's even less impressive when that chip isn't going in the stick...

Status
Not open for further replies.