[SOLVED] A PC connected to Laptop VIA Lan Cable but it gives around 500Kbps

muhammadahmad9794

Reputable
Jan 14, 2019
I have connected my PC with laptop via lan cable to transfer files as they have large size, but i am getting only 400 to 500kbps speed. In internet sharing connection it shows 100Mbps on laptop whole only 10Mbps on PC. I have 4790K processor and GA-H81M-HD3 motherboard.

Solution
Although it has gotten better hooking 2 pc directly together with a cable sometime does not work well. If you can hook both to a router/switch even if the router is not connected to the internet it tends to be simpler.

In any case you want to leave the settings on auto especially when you do not really understand what these mean. Most PC will correctly negotiate the speed.

It is very rare to find any pc/laptops that do not have gigabit ethernet ports. If you are seeing stuff like 10mbps it likely means you have a defective cable. Try a new cable. It does not have to be fancy any cat5e will work just be sure it is pure copper cable and has wire size 22-24. Do not buy that flat or thin cable.

Ethernet only transfers at full...

racksmith101

Respectable
You may need a crossover cable depending on the lan hardware on your 2 machines. At the moment it sounds like the transmit (tx) and receive (Rx) lines are incorrect and you're getting comms problems resulting in very slow transfer speeds (most lan hardware now auto negotiate Comms but it doesn't always work well) . How are you transferring files? Shared folders, FTP?

muhammadahmad9794

Reputable
Jan 14, 2019

I have connected using Lan cable. In my laptop it do not shows option of speed in advance menu while in Pc i have set speed to 100Mbps and full duplex. i have used share folder with everyone option.

Although it has gotten better hooking 2 pc directly together with a cable sometime does not work well. If you can hook both to a router/switch even if the router is not connected to the internet it tends to be simpler.

In any case you want to leave the settings on auto especially when you do not really understand what these mean. Most PC will correctly negotiate the speed.

It is very rare to find any pc/laptops that do not have gigabit ethernet ports. If you are seeing stuff like 10mbps it likely means you have a defective cable. Try a new cable. It does not have to be fancy any cat5e will work just be sure it is pure copper cable and has wire size 22-24. Do not buy that flat or thin cable.

Ethernet only transfers at full speed or nothing. You might be getting data loss and data is needing to be retransmit by the application when you get slower rates. It can be all kinds of other things like file structures and disk drive speeds but a new cable is cheap to try and maybe you get lucky.

Solution

muhammadahmad9794

Reputable
Jan 14, 2019

There is no problem in this cable. I have connected PC with another Laptop that is working fine. The problem is with one of my laptops.

In many ways you need to hope it is the cable. Everything else is a lot more expensive.

You need to leave the settings on auto if you can not set both sides the same values.

After this you have little left to try. You could check the drivers to be sure they are current. After that you start to suspect a defect port in the device which is extremely expensive to fix if it is even possible.