A Peek at Portal 2 Co-op, Where You Play Robots

Status
Not open for further replies.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Love me some co-op; can't wait for this game.

Maybe this will be the first step in figuring out a viable way to introduce the portal gun somehow into multiplayer.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
It's interesting, when I had first seen the two robots, I felt certain that the portal guns they had would each be half of the same portal, but it looks like they plan on two full portal guns if that video is accurate.

stige

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
[citation][nom]Fetal[/nom]i am not attracted to this game. why?[/citation]
you didn't get any cake?

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I just refused the cake last night... for real, i just finished the Portal last night even though i bought the Orange Box on the first day of release.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]mchawk[/nom]I hope each player get half of the portal in co-op...[/citation]

It looks like each player had a different Portal gun based on the colors used in the original Portal.

My only complaint about the video is it looks like a very quick mission complete and something that short doesn't give a good sense of high levels of cooperation. They shot ONE portal and it was over? I'm highly anticipating this game but this video didn't do much for me.

porkfist

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]It looks like each player had a different Portal gun based on the colors used in the original Portal.My only complaint about the video is it looks like a very quick mission complete and something that short doesn't give a good sense of high levels of cooperation. They shot ONE portal and it was over? I'm highly anticipating this game but this video didn't do much for me.[/citation]

I believe the point of this trailer is merely to give you a rough idea of how the co-op mode will work, and get your imagination going. If you're looking to be wowed by the complexity of the puzzles, check out some videos closer to the release date or walkthroughs on youtube following it's release.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]zaznet[/nom]It looks like each player had a different Portal gun based on the colors used in the original Portal.My only complaint about the video is it looks like a very quick mission complete and something that short doesn't give a good sense of high levels of cooperation. They shot ONE portal and it was over? I'm highly anticipating this game but this video didn't do much for me.[/citation]
But to be fair the first few levels in the original Portal were pretty quick and easy. They are only there to get you used to the mechanics of playing.

Its a teaser. That could just be the end of 'a' level.

Plus it means you could be mean and send your buddy into the smasher.

And considering they both have portals, I would surmise that it will take a lot of co-op.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Fetal[/nom]i am not attracted to this game. why?[/citation]
Because you've never played it. :D I was the same way before I got it free from Steam one weekend, but it's awesome once you start playing it.

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Its funny that level is actually more complicated than it first seemed. You really do need two people to solve it. Really looks live valve is putting a lot of work into portal though... I hope the big budget treats the game well.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]porkfist[/nom]If you're looking to be wowed by the complexity of the puzzles, check out some videos closer to the release date[/citation]

I was just very underwhelmed after the jaw dropping teaser of the single player content. Not like it has lessened my anticipation for the game itself. I'm sure later levels will be more complex and interactions with the other player more critical to complete each puzzle.

FlairFan

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Agreed that it's actually a good example. Understated yet with some depth. You couldn't do it single. The "jumper" can't use its portal gun at all... the fizzler would close any portal created by the jumper's gun. And the timing for the final portal needs to be right. And if they incorporate the 'paints' too, these could be some mind-numbing puzzles!

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Wow

I fail to see the excitement in the portal games. Yes I played portal 1 & found it to be pretty lame & lacking. I guess people liked it because it was different from other games & there is nothing wrong with that. I will have to pass on portal 2 but it will most likely come with the HL 3 game pack when it is at some point released.

G

@flightmare

nope, if you know portal you would know that the player exists the portal with the velocity that he entered it but orientated to the world axis system

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]Wow I fail to see the excitement in the portal games. Yes I played portal 1 & found it to be pretty lame & lacking. I guess people liked it because it was different from other games & there is nothing wrong with that. I will have to pass on portal 2 but it will most likely come with the HL 3 game pack when it is at some point released.[/citation]

To each his own. I know that I will have hours of fun with my brothers playing portal coop. I was hoping for coop in the original portal, so this will be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.