[SOLVED] A question about my motherboard, CPU, memory...

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello all,

I have a few questions. Hoping someone can help me. First of all, my PC components.

9700k (stock)
Noctua NHD-15 (single fan mode due to RAM taking up space - I read this only makes a difference of a few degrees)
Corsair Dominator 3200mhz (2x16GB)
ASUS RTX 2800ti
Z390 Aurus Pro
Corsair 750watt psu, can't remember the exact model but it was highly rated and expensive about 9 months ago when I bought it. I made sure to buy a PSU that major publications recommended because I know how important they are.

My case fan is a Noctua case that was a good mid range gaming case a few years back. It has two intake fans, one exhaust fan, and plenty of ventilation around the case. It's raised off the floor and I keep it dust free. Thermal paste was added as per the NTH1 guidelines.

With that in mind, a few more facts:

I have a flat that has a position whereby it has direct sun on it all day. This raises the temperature significantly on warmer days.. Good for the environment, I never turn my heading on, bad for PC thermal performance...That said, on an average day my CPU hits around 69oC on full high CPU load, GPU sits around 70C. My case has good airflow.

The problems I'm facing:

On a warm day, the temperature in my room raises significantly. I don't have air conditioning (I'm in the UK, it's only hot two months of the year) and my system gets quite warm. Here's the thing:

If I run my RAM at default settings (2133mhz dual channel mode) my CPU goes to a max of around 70oC. GPU sits around 70oC too.
If I overclock my RAM to 2800mhz (1.35voltage, timings@16-18-18-36) then my CPU temps might go up to around 81oC after prolonged usage.

My first question is, would you all consider this safe usage? I might spend several hours with my CPU sat around 75-81oC. Is this likely to cause an early death - or should I return the RAM to defaults which bring the CPU temps down to around 70oC on a hot day under load?

My second question is that I cannot get my RAM stable above 2800mhz. At 3000 it will crash. Could this be because I'm running 32GB rather than 16GB? I simply change the following:

Clock speed to 3000mhz
Timings to 16-18-18-36
DRAM voltage to 1.35v

Everything else is left at stock.

so in summary:
With RAM 'overclocked', on hot days, CPU hits 80oC. Is this fine for prolonged use?
Does anyone have any idea why my RAM isn't stable at 3000mhz?

Thanks all :)

Last edited:
Solution
Hello all,

I have a few questions. Hoping someone can help me. First of all, my PC components.

9700k (stock)
Noctua NHD-15 (single fan mode due to RAM taking up space - I read this only makes a difference of a few degrees)
ASUS RTX 2800ti
Corsair 750watt psu, can't remember the exact model but it was highly rated and expensive about 9 months ago when I bought it. I made sure to buy a PSU that major publications recommended because I know how important they are.

My case fan is a Noctua case that was a good mid range gaming case a few years back. It has two intake fans, one exhaust fan, and plenty of ventilation around the case. It's raised off the floor and I keep it dust free. Thermal paste was...
Hello all,

9700k (stock)
ASUS RTX 2800ti

My case fan is a Noctua case that was a good mid range gaming case a few years back. It has two intake fans, one exhaust fan, and plenty of ventilation around the case. It's raised off the floor and I keep it dust free. Thermal paste was added as per the NTH1 guidelines.

With that in mind, a few more facts:

I have a flat that has a position whereby it has direct sun on it all day. This raises the temperature significantly on warmer days.. Good for the environment, I never turn my heading on, bad for PC thermal performance...That said, on an average day my CPU hits around 69oC on full high CPU load, GPU sits around 70C. My case has good airflow.

The problems I'm facing:

On a warm day, the temperature in my room raises significantly. I don't have air conditioning (I'm in the UK, it's only hot two months of the year) and my system gets quite warm. Here's the thing:

If I run my RAM at default settings (2133mhz dual channel mode) my CPU goes to a max of around 70oC. GPU sits around 70oC too.
If I overclock my RAM to 2800mhz (1.35voltage, timings@16-18-18-36) then my CPU temps might go up to around 81oC after prolonged usage.

My first question is, would you all consider this safe usage? I might spend several hours with my CPU sat around 75-81oC. Is this likely to cause an early death - or should I return the RAM to defaults which bring the CPU temps down to around 70oC on a hot day under load?

My second question is that I cannot get my RAM stable above 2800mhz. At 3000 it will crash. Could this be because I'm running 32GB rather than 16GB? I simply change the following:

Clock speed to 3000mhz
Timings to 16-18-18-36
DRAM voltage to 1.35v

Everything else is left at stock.

so in summary:
With RAM 'overclocked', on hot days, CPU hits 80oC. Is this fine for prolonged use?
Does anyone have any idea why my RAM isn't stable at 3000mhz?

Thanks all :)

80C on an Intel CPU is safe enough. You've already done all the correct things cooling wise, can't really do much about ambient temperature.

With respect to the ram, why aren't you running it at 3200 Mhz as that is the rated speed- you should just be able to load the official XMP profile in the bios for those settings?

Edit: For further advice on the ram would be helpful to know what motherboard you are using? The website should have a QVL for tested memory kits including settings used, that might give you some insight onto the optimal settings for your memory kit.

Solution

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
80C on an Intel CPU is safe enough. You've already done all the correct things cooling wise, can't really do much about ambient temperature.

With respect to the ram, why aren't you running it at 3200 Mhz as that is the rated speed- you should just be able to load the official XMP profile in the bios for those settings?

Edit: For further advice on the ram would be helpful to know what motherboard you are using? The website should have a QVL for tested memory kits including settings used, that might give you some insight onto the optimal settings for your memory kit.

Thanks for this info - I'll edit my original post. Can't believe I forgot to mention the most important component in this...

Thank you :)

Thanks for this info - I'll edit my original post. Can't believe I forgot to mention the most important component in this...

Thank you :)

Here is a link to your motheboards memory support list:
https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_z390-aorus-pro_191108.pdf

Note they haven't tested any 32gb kits so that may be an issue. The document does give advice on the best ram slots to use as well in the notes at the bottom. I would suggest finding the closest kit to yours in the table (there should be a 16gb version of your kit, lots of Corsaid kits listed but need full part number to be sure) and see what settings they had working.

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Thank you very much for sharing that - I found my model number:

CORSAIR 16GB 2Rx8 CMD32GX4M2C3200C16 ver5.39 DS Hynix 16-18-18-36 1.35v v V v 2133

I'm using two of these. There's nothing on there that suggests I can use this kit for 32GB at anything above stock speed, but I could be misunderstanding! Perhaps 2800 is the most I could hope for? I was just concered I'd set soemthing up wrong really, I am sure there's not a huge difference in performance!

Reactions: cdrkf
Thank you very much for sharing that - I found my model number:

CORSAIR 16GB 2Rx8 CMD32GX4M2C3200C16 ver5.39 DS Hynix 16-18-18-36 1.35v v V v 2133

I'm using two of these. There's nothing on there that suggests I can use this kit for 32GB at anything above stock speed, but I could be misunderstanding! Perhaps 2800 is the most I could hope for? I was just concered I'd set soemthing up wrong really, I am sure there's not a huge difference in performance!

Yeah it might be that the memory controller doesn't like running as fast with higher capacities. The performance difference between 2800 and 3200 isn't going to be massive, so if the machine is stable at that I would probably leave it there.

conurafx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Yeah it might be that the memory controller doesn't like running as fast with higher capacities. The performance difference between 2800 and 3200 isn't going to be massive, so if the machine is stable at that I would probably leave it there.

Perfect - thanks very much for helping :)