a quick question(s)

G

anyone know what
1.uata 40g uata40g uata40g c/w ide raid controller
and
2.uata 40g scsi 72g 40g scsi 72g
mean?does it mean putting 3 hdisks on raid? what's the maximum no of hdisk you can connect using raid?
and scsi is uata160, and ide is uata100 is it? what about udma, is it the same as uata? that's all. please help me clear this.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't know what all that jumbled crap means, but you can put 4 devices on an IDE RAID, and 16, I think, on a SCSI RAID.
Yes, SCSI is 160, and IDE is 100 (maximum, although SCSI 320 was approved).
Yes, UATA and UDMA are the same.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

what should i say, pc? (not apple,mac) read it on some pamphlet. another question, can you use both scsi and ide on the same raid? the first line means 3 40gb uata hdisk, right? the second line says uata 40gb (&) scsi 72gb (&) uata 40gb (&) scsi 72gb, doesn't it? i'm confused here.anyway thanks

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
You can use software such as NT4 Server to make a software raid (NT4 does Raid 0,1,5). In this case you can use a mixture of any type of disks, but the CPU does all the work and this slows the system down.

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you mean hooking up a SCSI and an IDE to the same board or interface, No the two are completly different HD formats. If you want to have RAID inexpensily, go for IDE, If you want a much speed and bandwith as possible, Go with SCSI, although you will pay a lot more for the SCSI.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

dandan

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
IDE Raid can do 4 drives (IDE limitation), and SCSI can do 15 devices (the SCSI adapter is the 16th). However, whilst you could put 15 SCSI drives in a machine, to connect them all you're looking at clustering which is a whole new ball game, and one left for professional systems in servers. (SCIS cards that do this cost thousands themselves).

As arsend says, if you want it for a non-work PC (games, etc.), or you will back up your data regularly, go for IDE Raid as it's a lot cheaper. SCSI is more expensive and only gives slightly more performance at this level, but is a little bit more reliable. Also, SCSI drives tend to be a little bit better made, though this gets a bit academic for a home system 'coz the margins are so small anyway.

TRENDING THREADS