a ram issue

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
Hi,

I believe there is a problem with my ram or to do with my ram.

the problem is that, generally late at night, my ram usage rises and rises until it hits 8gb (the amount i have) this of course slows the computer down to a crawl, until i restart it and all is well.

the problem tends to occur after i have played a few games, never during. also it really gets bad about 30 minutes after closing the game.

the page file also is at 10gb (presumably my 8gb + 2gb on the hdd? ) when it slows down.

i test this through msi afterburner

any help would be much appreciated

thankyou

Solution
First step is to find out what's using all that memory

When it happens,
-Right click in the taskbar,
-Click "Start Task Manager".
-Click the "Processes" tab
-Click the "memory" header

this will put the process with the highest RAM usage at the top so you can see what it is.
First step is to find out what's using all that memory

When it happens,
-Right click in the taskbar,
-Click "Start Task Manager".
-Click the "Processes" tab
-Click the "memory" header

this will put the process with the highest RAM usage at the top so you can see what it is.

Solution

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

thanks, ill do that next time it happens, and report back here

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

ok,so i havnt been on the pc for very long tonight, nor played any games. howver when i was using opera, i noticed the usage begin to creep up to 7gb, and performance was reducing. i opened task manager and found that opera was only using 600 mb of ram., so i closed all tabs (about 5) and closed the program. opened task manager again and found that all processes were using under 95mb, other than bit defender, which was using 216mb as usual.

this is really odd, as this hasnt happened before only recently. and the only change to my pc has been a new GPU (gtx 750 to gtx 960) - could this be a cause? seems unlikely to me..

In task manager, click "view" in the menu bar, then
click "select columns"
check the box next to "memory - private working set"
order the processes in descending order by that column.

If that fails to shed light, try putting your computer to Clean Boot:

1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check if the issue is fixed.

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014
there isnt an option called select columns in task manager? i click view in the menu bar, and the following appears

refresh now
update speed
group by type
expand all
collapse all
status values

G

Some software is causing a memory leak. It keeps using more and more memory and doesn't release it. Whatever software is doing that isn't reporting it's use. A memory leak means bad programming, so it's not that surprising that it doesn't show up.

What OS are you using (version)?

Daniel Harvey

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

That's what I thought initially

Windows 8.1 pro

G

Yeah, I'm not too good with windows 8.1, tbh. I would say look at your installed software, sort by date, and remove what seems fishy. If you have that option with that version.

TRENDING THREADS