Question A random shortcut appeared on my desktop ?

Colton Reading

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Hello hello,

Today as i logged onto my computer i noticed that there was a stand alone internet shortcut sitting on my desktop. I use a two monitor setup and I dont have any shortcuts on my second monitor so it was strange to me that this internet shortcut was by itself on my second monitor. Without even thinking about it I clicked it and it was an MSN link to an article that didn't exist anymore and just brings me to the MSN home page. The files name is "ss-AA1hrtWU" which was odd to me after the fact.

Did I just open up some malware? I ran Malwarebytes and nothing came up from that with the premium trial so not sure if thats enough to make me not worry about it.

Was also thinking about the possibility that I could have just dragged a link from an article to my desktop without even noticing. If anyone has any opinions as to what they think or what I should do that would be greatly appreciated!

Shortcut:

Image 1

Image 2

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Without eve thinking about it I clicked it
This is one scenario that you don't click on things if you're not familiar with them. Randsomeware is/can and will be areal menace if the data on your PS is valuable to you and your livelihood.

Did I just open up some malware?
You should've checked the filename's extension and date of creation before you clicked on the shortcut.

You could run malwarebytes and see if anything turns up.

Colton Reading

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
Without eve thinking about it I clicked it
This is one scenario that you don't click on things if you're not familiar with them. Randsomeware is/can and will be areal menace if the data on your PS is valuable to you and your livelihood.

Did I just open up some malware?
You should've checked the filename's extension and date of creation before you clicked on the shortcut.

You could run malwarebytes and see if anything turns up.
I did run malwarebytes and nothing came up

The type of file is a "URL" file if that means anything

What would you recommend after running MB and it not coming up with anything?