[SOLVED] A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error during windows 10 install.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey everybody.

I got a new m.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus and I'm having problems installing windows 10 on it. The drive shows up okay and I was able to partition/format it but it fails after the second or third restart during the install process and gives me this error code. I've tried installing with a windows 10 CD and I've also created my own bootable USB installer with windows media tool with no luck. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Specs
Windows 10 home
asus z390 prime
2080ti
corsair 4000mhz 4x8GB

insert image wasn't working so here's a link to a photo of the error code
https://ibb.co/Qkd6xQj

Error Code - 0xc000000e

Last edited:
Solution
Hello!
Good news, I got it solved!

For whatever reason, I had to remove my old boot drive from the equation by temporarially pulling its data cable out, then booting back to my USB installer and re-creating/installing windows 10 on my new Samsung 970 m.2 drive.

I noticed when I did this, it created multiple partitions on the new drive, something it hadn't done when I still had my other boot drive connected. It seems ridiculous to me that the solution is basically unplug your boot drive then try again but there you have it..... it worked.....

I also tested the new drive with Samsung magician and gave it a full scan, it passed and said there was nothing wrong. Considering I'm typing this reply while booted from my new drive, I'm...

Ralston18

Titan
No beeps or error LEDs?

First: more information on the Error code:

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-error-0xc000000e

Double check all physical connections to ensure that all are fully and firmly seated.

Second: do you have the motherboard's installation guide?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...792.235648461.1577658409-453788094.1569978805

Do verify that the link is correct.

See physically numbered Page "x".

Note the last sentences in the top blue Storage section. Re: shared SATA.

Also see Page 1-13 for onboard LED status and meanings.

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
I'll try it again and look for error LEDs this time.

As for the installation I installed it into M.2_2 as I didn't want it to share bandwidth with a SATA port. That wouldn't be the problem, would it?

Under m.2_2 it says STORAGE DEVICES SUPPORT PCIE X4, which doesn't make sense to me as its not installed on PCIE so.... shrugs

Ive just reseated the m.2 and i'll see what that gets me. It seemed it was perhaps a little over tightened so i loosened it up some and it appears slightly more aligned now, but if this was the problem i would be surprised it was able to be detected, partitioned and formatted as well as read and written to. Are m.2 drives sometimes temperamental like that?

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Well I gave it another shot and it gave me the same error at the same place. No errror LEDs come on and no beep codes (though I dont have a bios speaker so....)

Ive talked to samsung support and they were pretty unhelpful. I'm at a loss of how to proceed here. Is it possible that something is up with the drive despite appearing to work ok until mid install? I guess I could try installing it in the other M.2_1 port though id have to temporarily remove the GPU to get at it, and that's not where I'd want to leave it once it's done anyhow.

Last edited:

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hello!
Good news, I got it solved!

For whatever reason, I had to remove my old boot drive from the equation by temporarially pulling its data cable out, then booting back to my USB installer and re-creating/installing windows 10 on my new Samsung 970 m.2 drive.

I noticed when I did this, it created multiple partitions on the new drive, something it hadn't done when I still had my other boot drive connected. It seems ridiculous to me that the solution is basically unplug your boot drive then try again but there you have it..... it worked.....

I also tested the new drive with Samsung magician and gave it a full scan, it passed and said there was nothing wrong. Considering I'm typing this reply while booted from my new drive, I'm inclined to agree that it was not the drive's fault, but some ridiculous issue with a windows installer script trying to do the thinking for me, and instead causing the problem.

Thank you for the reply, I really do appreciate any and all help I get on these forums.
Cheers!

Solution

TRENDING THREADS