Question a-rgb current help

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
No and YES, as long as all your fans are of the common design with TWO cables - a smaller one with 4 holes in it to plug into mobo fan headers, and a second larger one with three holes (looks like it had 4 but one is plugged) for a mobo ARGB header. You do NOT need that second device, the Deepcool A-RGB Controller.

I am assuming that all these lighted fans are for case ventilation, and you are not including here any cooling system for the CPU chip. That first Hub from id Cooling is BOTH a FAN motor Hub and a LIGHTING ARGB Hub in one box. It uses a two-headed cable from one end to connect to ONE mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header and to one mobo ARGB header, assuming you have both if those. It gets control signals from these headers for its fans. At its other end you plug in a SATA power output connector from the PSU to supply all of the power needed, so the fans connected to the Hub draw NO power from any mobo header and do not contribute to their loads. CONTROL of fan speeds on the Hub is done by the mobo fan header tools in BIOS Setup for the header used to connect to the Hub. Control of the LIGHTS in those fans is done by the software utility supplied with your mobo for its ARGB headers.

None of these fans connect to a mobo header - all can use the ports on the Hub (up to 8 fans). A side note: a mobo fan header does three things. It provides power to the fan motor, controls its speed, and monitors the fan's speed signal for NO signal indicating fan failure. But it can deal with only one fan's speed signal, so the Hub will send back the speed of ONLY the one fan motor plugged into the Hub's WHITE port - make sure you do plug one in there. The speed of ALL the other fans on that Hub will never be "seen" anywhere, and they cannot be monitored for failure, so YOU should check from time to time that they all still are working.

Likewise the fans' LIGHTING cables can plug into lighting ports on the Hub and they all will do whatever your mobo tells them.

If you have other fans (with or without lighting) not connected to this Hub you CAN use other mobo headers for those, The units connected to the HUB have NO impact on the load limits of other mobo headers, so treat those headers as completely independent of the Hub load.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022
No and YES, as long as all your fans are of the common design with TWO cables - a smaller one with 4 holes in it to plug into mobo fan headers, and a second larger one with three holes (looks like it had 4 but one is plugged) for a mobo ARGB header. You do NOT need that second device, the Deepcool A-RGB Controller.

I am assuming that all these lighted fans are for case ventilation, and you are not including here any cooling system for the CPU chip. That first Hub from id Cooling is BOTH a FAN motor Hub and a LIGHTING ARGB Hub in one box. It uses a two-headed cable from one end to connect to ONE mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN header and to one mobo ARGB header, assuming you have both if those. It gets control signals from these headers for its fans. At its other end you plug in a SATA power output connector from the PSU to supply all of the power needed, so the fans connected to the Hub draw NO power from any mobo header and do not contribute to their loads. CONTROL of fan speeds on the Hub is done by the mobo fan header tools in BIOS Setup for the header used to connect to the Hub. Control of the LIGHTS in those fans is done by the software utility supplied with your mobo for its ARGB headers.

None of these fans connect to a mobo header - all can use the ports on the Hub (up to 8 fans). A side note: a mobo fan header does three things. It provides power to the fan motor, controls its speed, and monitors the fan's speed signal for NO signal indicating fan failure. But it can deal with only one fan's speed signal, so the Hub will send back the speed of ONLY the one fan motor plugged into the Hub's WHITE port - make sure you do plug one in there. The speed of ALL the other fans on that Hub will never be "seen" anywhere, and they cannot be monitored for failure, so YOU should check from time to time that they all still are working.

Likewise the fans' LIGHTING cables can plug into lighting ports on the Hub and they all will do whatever your mobo tells them.

If you have other fans (with or without lighting) not connected to this Hub you CAN use other mobo headers for those, The units connected to the HUB have NO impact on the load limits of other mobo headers, so treat those headers as completely independent of the Hub load.

I actually need the a-rgb controller, since i don't have a-rgb header on my mobo. Yes, they are a-rgb case fans(8 pcs), a-rgb cpu cooler(1pc), and a-rgb led strips(2pcs), all together 11*3pin a-rgb. The question was that if i can plug the hub, into the controller, without damaging anything. I have the cpu fan pwm plugged into the cpu fan header on mb, but i have one more header, system_fan, that's where I'd plug the hub's pwm cable.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, you can do this with that Controller from DeepCool. Its output cable comes with gender-changing adapters so you can convert it into a standard (4-1) pin male ARGB output (like a mobo header would be). That can plug into the lighting signal half of the input cable of the id Cooling Hub. Then the Hub has the control signal it needs, supplied from that Controller using the manual buttons on the little remote control box. There is an option with that Controller system to connect another cable from it to your case's front Reset switch in case the manual remote fails. You do NOT need that cable connection for normal operations.

Now, to provide power and control of 11 ARGB lights from that Hub and Controller, you will need one more item, an ARGB Splitter like this

https://www.amazon.com/novonest-Add...663273363&sprefix=argb+Splitter,aps,90&sr=8-3

This plugs into one Hub lighting port and converts that to four of same. NOTE that this item comes with four gender-changer adapters so that its four outputs with female connectors are converted to males so you can plug in normal fan or pump lighting cables. In total, using this gives you seven ARGB lighting ports on the Hub for fans, plus four more output connectors from the Splitter for the last fan plus pump and two light strips.

Current load may be an issue for the lights. The power supply for the Hub is via a SATA output, and normally the 5 VDC lines from that can supply up to 4.5 A total load. (Power for the fan MOTORS on the Hub are from different voltage lines and do not affect load in the 5 VDC lines.) You quoted a total load of 5.64 A for 11 ARGB lighting units, which is a bit high. How did you get that number? Was it clearly the total load for the LIGHTS only on all 11 devices, or is motor load included in that? Maybe tell us the maker and exact model if the eight fans, the CPU cooler system and the two light strips so we can help check the electrical details.

Reactions: bcsoka99
Sep 15, 2022
Yes, you can do this with that Controller from DeepCool. Its output cable comes with gender-changing adapters so you can convert it into a standard (4-1) pin male ARGB output (like a mobo header would be). That can plug into the lighting signal half of the input cable of the id Cooling Hub. Then the Hub has the control signal it needs, supplied from that Controller using the manual buttons on the little remote control box. There is an option with that Controller system to connect another cable from it to your case's front Reset switch in case the manual remote fails. You do NOT need that cable connection for normal operations.

Now, to provide power and control of 11 ARGB lights from that Hub and Controller, you will need one more item, an ARGB Splitter like this

https://www.amazon.com/novonest-Addressable-Splitter-Extension-Connector/dp/B097JS75LV/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3P1M2INASL87A&keywords=argb+splitter+3+pin&qid=1663273363&sprefix=argb+Splitter,aps,90&sr=8-3

This plugs into one Hub lighting port and converts that to four of same. NOTE that this item comes with four gender-changer adapters so that its four outputs with female connectors are converted to males so you can plug in normal fan or pump lighting cables. In total, using this gives you seven ARGB lighting ports on the Hub for fans, plus four more output connectors from the Splitter for the last fan plus pump and two light strips.

Current load may be an issue for the lights. The power supply for the Hub is via a SATA output, and normally the 5 VDC lines from that can supply up to 4.5 A total load. (Power for the fan MOTORS on the Hub are from different voltage lines and do not affect load in the 5 VDC lines.) You quoted a total load of 5.64 A for 11 ARGB lighting units, which is a bit high. How did you get that number? Was it clearly the total load for the LIGHTS only on all 11 devices, or is motor load included in that? Maybe tell us the maker and exact model if the eight fans, the CPU cooler system and the two light strips so we can help check the electrical details.
Thank you for the heads up on this. I believe I only added the led load, and not the motor, but here are the items I'm planning on plugging in together.
I'm gonna use 8* https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/accessories/fans/rs-061
These come with both male and female a-rgb headers. Yes, i know, it has a 3 piece deal with an 8 fan rgb controller, but it has it's own type of connector, and I'm not sure if i can hook the rest of the rgbs on it as well. (8* 0,5A)
The cpu cooler is this:
https://www.akasa.com.tw/update.php?tpl=product/product.detail.tpl&no=181&type=&type_sub=RGB LED Lighting&model=AK-CC1106HP01 (0,44 A)
And the led stripes are this double leds:
(2* 0,6A)

These total up to the above mentioned number

Last edited:

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am very surprised by the spec of 0.5 A max current for lights only per fan. The fan says it contains 8 LED's, and "typical" loads for such LED's are 20 mA (0.020 A) per LED, or 0.16 A per fan.

However, lets us assume the specs are correct. You can still do this by re-arranging the connections using that ARGB Splitter. Connect the DeepCool Controller normally to a SATA power supply. Plug the SPLITTER into its output port. Connect the lighting input connector from the HUB to one of the Splitter outputs, and all eight fans (max total load 4.0 A by their specs) to the Hub. The HUB gets enough power for all those fans' lights from its own connection to a SATA PSU output, but it does NOT pull any power from the Controller. Plug the lighting cables from the Pump and two light strips into the three empty Splitter outputs. The Controller output CAN supply power to these three devices (max total load 1.04 A) via that Splitter from its own separate PSU power connection. ALL of the lights will receive exactly the same control signals and do the same thing.

Reactions: bcsoka99
Sep 15, 2022
I am very surprised by the spec of 0.5 A max current for lights only per fan. The fan says it contains 8 LED's, and "typical" loads for such LED's are 20 mA (0.020 A) per LED, or 0.16 A per fan.

However, lets us assume the specs are correct. You can still do this by re-arranging the connections using that ARGB Splitter. Connect the DeepCool Controller normally to a SATA power supply. Plug the SPLITTER into its output port. Connect the lighting input connector from the HUB to one of the Splitter outputs, and all eight fans (max total load 4.0 A by their specs) to the Hub. The HUB gets enough power for all those fans' lights from its own connection to a SATA PSU output, but it does NOT pull any power from the Controller. Plug the lighting cables from the Pump and two light strips into the three empty Splitter outputs. The Controller output CAN supply power to these three devices (max total load 1.04 A) via that Splitter from its own separate PSU power connection. ALL of the lights will receive exactly the same control signals and do the same thing.
Thank you very much for your help, i might've misread the specs, you helped me out a lot. Sorry for asking such trivial questions, but my knowledge on hardware is not great to say the least. Take care