Question A second pc for back up

Jul 21, 2020
Hello everyone!

Recently I bought a new pc and made a second pc from my old parts (motherboard ram etc) to use it as a back up. I connected it to my router and through network I transfer my files to and from my main pc. The only thing I had to do was to make my main pc “Network discoverable” and to the back up pc I had to right click every of my three HDDs and then click “Advanced Sharing” to make them usable from my main pc.

I have two questions about this situation.

The file transferring speed from/to my main pc through the network (through router) is 70 MB/s and was going up and down between 30 MB/s and 110 MB/s. Α 7 GB file took me 2 min to be transferred. Why does the transferring speed has that fluctuation? Is there a way to stabilize the speed to 100 or 110MB/s ?

Also something annoying that I’ve noticed was that when I shutted down my back up pc, after 10 minutes it booted on its own. Is there an option that allows or disables this pc to do that ? Can anyone explain that ?

Also I heard Docking station SATA which does the same job in relation to what I’ve done with my 2 pcs. Would Docking station SATA box be a better solution for backing up and transfer data fast?

If there are answers in other threads in this forrum please give me a refrence!
Thanks !

Jul 21, 2020
Sure, im guessing that this fluctuation is normal when I transfer files to ssd and hdd. But what about the auto boot , and the docking station sata

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone!

Recently I bought a new pc and made a second pc from my old parts (motherboard ram etc) to use it as a back up. I connected it to my router and through network I transfer my files to and from my main pc. The only thing I had to do was to make my main pc “Network discoverable” and to the back up pc I had to right click every of my three HDDs and then click “Advanced Sharing” to make them usable from my main pc.

I have two questions about this situation.

The file transferring speed from/to my main pc through the network (through router) is 70 MB/s and was going up and down between 30 MB/s and 110 MB/s. Α 7 GB file took me 2 min to be transferred. Why does the transferring speed has that fluctuation? Is there a way to stabilize the speed to 100 or 110MB/s ?

Also something annoying that I’ve noticed was that when I shutted down my back up pc, after 10 minutes it booted on its own. Is there an option that allows or disables this pc to do that ? Can anyone explain that ?

Also I heard Docking station SATA which does the same job in relation to what I’ve done with my 2 pcs. Would Docking station SATA box be a better solution for backing up and transfer data fast?

If there are answers in other threads in this forrum please give me a refrence!
Thanks !
If you want faster transfer, add a 10GE card to each PC and setup a point-to-point network between the two. You could use SFP+ NIC cards and a DAC cable. Or RJ45 and cat6a cable. Depends on what you can find cheap. I recommend Intel based 10GE cards.

Reactions: Htapodakiyam
Jul 21, 2020
Ah! thanks! That card is something like a
D-Link DGE-528T
card?

both pcs have motherboards close to 2013 which include network cards.

I have connected both pcs to the router via cat5 e cables, and I transfer my files through network sharing. Is that considered as a point to point network connection between the two or that is something more special?

kanewolf

Titan
Ah! thanks! That card is something like a
D-Link DGE-528T
card?

both pcs have motherboards close to 2013 which include network cards.

I have connected both pcs to the router via cat5 e cables, and I transfer my files through network sharing. Is that considered as a point to point network connection between the two or that is something more special?
No that is gigabit only. You will get 100MB max. Something like this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/X520-SR1-E69818-INTEL-10GB-1-PORT-PCI-E-SERVER-ADAPTER/264801303471
That is an SFP+ based card. You would need a DAC cable like this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-SFP-3-meter-Passive-10GB-DAC-Copper-Cable-CAB-SFP-SFP-3M-53HVN/164242648041
That would ensure your network is not the limiting factor.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
1,000 small files totaling 7GB will take longer than a single 7GB file.
The speed WILL fluctuate up and down.

Jul 21, 2020
Hey thank!!
No that is gigabit only. You will get 100MB max. Something like this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/X520-SR1-E69818-INTEL-10GB-1-PORT-PCI-E-SERVER-ADAPTER/264801303471
That is an SFP+ based card. You would need a DAC cable like this -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-SFP-3-meter-Passive-10GB-DAC-Copper-Cable-CAB-SFP-SFP-3M-53HVN/164242648041
That would ensure your network is not the limiting factor.
Thanks I will consider trying these out after some tests I'll make with the speeds!

1,000 small files totaling 7GB will take longer than a single 7GB file.
The speed WILL fluctuate up and down.
Thanks that was realy helpfull! I will check if I get fluctuations with a big GB file!

But hey, any idea about my two other questions ? Back up pc auto boots and that makes me unplug and plug it all the time

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
But hey, any idea about my two other questions ? Back up pc auto boots and that makes me unplug and plug it all the time
For backup functions, I use Macrium Reflect.

Here is my basic backup routine. It goes to my NAS box, but that could easily be another PC or a couple of external USB connected drives.

Jul 21, 2020
For backup functions, I use Macrium Reflect.

Here is my bacsic bakup routine. It goes to my NAS box, but that could easily be another PC or a couple of external USB connected drives.
Thanks a lot I'll check it out!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS