A Star Wars Keyboard With LCD Touchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMakapuu

Distinguished
May 13, 2012
Notice they call is "Star Wars" not "SWTOR" which it was meant to play with... Either razer or EA is really digging deep in order to get Tom's to get you to buy it... So sad... They put so much into that keyboard and so little into SWTOR after the fact...

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Doug is about a year late on presenting this overpriced keyboard.
Maybe next week he'll introduce an article to Tom's about the overpriced SWTOR mouse and headset; also made by Razer.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I guess I will stick with my old IBM 101 keyboard. Built like a tank and is over 25 years old.

Still the most comfortable keyboard I have ever used in my IT career.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]schiwing[/nom]Doug is about a year late on presenting this overpriced keyboard.Maybe next week he'll introduce an article to Tom's about the overpriced SWTOR mouse and headset; also made by Razer.[/citation]
I was thinking this EXACT SAME thing. this came out like days after the game actually launched.

as for the mouse it isn't that overpriced compared to a regular razer naga which is what it is a version of if I remember correctly. (not saying it doesn't cost plenty) and I actually got the mouse for a Christmas present and didn't receive it until after Christmas. I believe it was even after the 1st of the year which was definitely after the game launch.

the color crystal code is junk and cheesy and only good for a few levels before you'd want to upgrade it. it would be good for like level 1 but of course you don't have anything until level 8 to 10ish before you can use it.

the mouse itself is responsive and has a ton of buttons I will never master the use of I'm sure. However the new razer synapse 2.0 software sort of stinks because of the fact it occasionally auto-updates itself and reboots your system without asking and provides no setting in the software for disabling this. I will say it hasn't done this in a while so maybe they fixed that issue (*knocking on some wood*) also if you are using it as a wired mouse it occasionally just stops responding and you have to disconnect the charging connector (this acts as your mouse wire) and reconnect it which is annoying. lastly, the mouse has a lighted symbol on the back (Republic or Empire) and lighting on the scroll wheel. you would think you could adjust the lighting of both in the software settings but as it turns out you can really only adjust that tiny bit of lighting on either side of the scroll wheel. sort of a let down when you find out.

and there is your SWTOR Razer mouse review :) (got carried away)

G

BEWARE OF RAZER (and RAZER KEYBOARDS SPECIFICALLY)

I had 2 units with build quality issues and the worst customer support experience I have ever had:

I bought my keyboard directly from Razer (which I thought would help with support if it was needed)

May 8, I ordered the keyboard from the Razer store.
It came to me with the backlit key feature defective. I immediately contacted support expecting a replacement to be shipped. I had to first take photos and send them in, wait several days, and then be told I need to return it and wait 2 weeks for the replacement. I was very unhappy but did just that.
What I got back on July 2 (nearly 2 months after placing my order) was a dirty unit, in a bent and torn box, completely missing the left shift key. I thought this was a screw up of epic proportions, but I was sure Razer would correct this very quickly. Well, after relaying the story I was told to send pictures of the missing key!!!! Are you serious? You don’t believe me when I say it is missing a key? Or even worse, you are trying to determine from the photo if you can send a new key and have my insert it. Forget the fact I ordered a new keyboard and have now been sent a used one.

And finally I did get the email confirmation that they are going to send a key that I can hopefully just pop in, and that I can just clean the keyboard??? lol – I could not make this up.

ps – they keyboard itself is decent if you get a new and working one. BUT IF YOU DON’T, YOU CAN ONLY CONTACT RAZER SUPPORT THROUGH EMAIL WHICH TAKES 2-3 DAYS TO GET A RESPONSE AND AS EVIDENCED ABOVE, THEY ONLY TAKE THE BARE MINIMUM STEPS TO GET YOUR PRODUCT FUNCTIONING.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Morons, this isnt the razer version its sold by THINK GEEEK. Its amazing how many assumptions people make. It dint come out with the friggin game the Razer version did. Both suck in my opinion but lets not get them confused.

G

Not that I think it is a good buy, but what the article failed to highlight was that what makes the keyboard expensive is the parts all the way to the right of the keyboard. The 10 OLED programmable keys and OLED touchpad screen are the culprits for the keyboards price. You can route video or anything else to the touch screen (. Program the keys and the pictures displayed on the keys and have them auto-change depending on running application. A bit less expensive than shelling out for the Optimus keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.