Question A trick to clean acer laptop fan without disassembly of laptop?

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
Hello,

I have acer extensa 5635 and the fan started making really weird and loud sound that sometimes goes away with restart.

I guess it needs cleaning but the YouTube disassembly shows that I have to disassemble everything to reach it (as always) and then I end up with this fan does not seem to be designed to get opened

H47e4c5af4de24339810e4203057dd0f9p.jpg_640x640q90.jpg

My question:
Any way/trick to clean this part without taking the laptop apart? do something through the vents?

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
The general ones are not appropriate unless you are sure about the force to distance ratio. Too close and it might disrupt components, too far and it may not be effective enough. Its why there are specific units for PCs and laptops, usually tailor made for such devices.

so...
I tested the CPU with AIDA64 stress and for 7min it never crossed 70c/158f, the weird thing the laptop made no sound, almost silent, don't know why this didn't trigger the loud fan noise.

I couldn't find a GPU sensor

Motherboard temp in HWmonitor is 46c-52c 115f-126f (not a stress test)

I say all that because it seems reaching fan require going through everything including removing thermal paste from CPU and I currently have Hutixi ht-gy260 (1 dollar) and afraid to replace a factory thermal paste that lasted 15 years with this cheap paste, but this paste is working okay on PC

KtJ7szE.jpeg

2O1VjSA.jpeg

Is it worth it to disassemble the laptop based on all this ?

so...
I tested the CPU with AIDA64 stress and for 7min it never crossed 70c/158f, the weird thing the laptop made no sound, almost silent, don't know why this didn't trigger the loud fan noise.

I couldn't find a GPU sensor

Motherboard temp in HWmonitor is 46c-52c 115f-126f (not a stress test)

I say all that because it seems reaching fan require going through everything including removing thermal paste from CPU and I currently have Hutixi ht-gy260 (1 dollar) and afraid to replace a factory thermal paste that lasted 15 years with this cheap paste, but this paste is working okay on PC

KtJ7szE.jpeg

2O1VjSA.jpeg

Is it worth it to disassemble the laptop based on all this ?
15yrs is a pretty long time for any laptop. The noise is because of probably the fans running out of juice rather than dust. At this stage, if it were me, I would probably not bother and try to live with it.

Disassemble only if you are confident of reassembling it or take it to a professional. The thermal paste I would recommend is...

PCPartPicker Part List

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1 g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $6.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-30 14:13 EDT-0400

Reactions: Dasa

Dasa

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
15yrs is a pretty long time for any laptop. The noise is because of probably the fans running out of juice rather than dust. At this stage, if it were me, I would probably not bother and try to live with it.

Disassemble only if you are confident of reassembling it or take it to a professional. The thermal paste I would recommend is...

PCPartPicker Part List

Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1 g Thermal Paste ($6.99 @ ModMyMods)
Total: $6.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-30 14:13 EDT-0400

Since I need the laptop to be ready I decided to skip disassembly to avoid risk of ruining something by accident which could take long time to fix and since cleaning dust might not fix fan noise at all.

Thank you for the help Hellfire13! appreciate it...

Reactions: Hellfire13