[SOLVED] A way to test PSU (Possible replacements)

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
So I've been using a Seasonic Focus+ 750W 80+ GOLD PSU for 3 years and I've never had any issues with it. However now I'm starting to get issues while playing Red Dead Redemption 2. Even when I have no other programs running (apart from Steam client), it can shut down the PC after 5 minutes or even after an hour and half. I don't have this issue with any other games or programs than this one, so I want to test if it's an issue with the game, that might draw too much power, or if I should go looking for a new PSU.

The rest of my spec is as following:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB
ASUS TUF B450-PLUS GAMING Motherboard
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler

Solution
So I've been using a Seasonic Focus+ 750W 80+ GOLD PSU for 3 years and I've never had any issues with it. However now I'm starting to get issues while playing Red Dead Redemption 2. Even when I have no other programs running (apart from Steam client), it can shut down the PC after 5 minutes or even after an hour and half. I don't have this issue with any other games or programs than this one, so I want to test if it's an issue with the game, that might draw too much power, or if I should go looking for a new PSU.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler

Yeah.. Ampere on Seasonic...

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler
You can get a PSU test for pretty cheap. That said you have more than enough wattage to run your rig even heavily overclocked. If your PSU is bad, you are still well within the warranty so you can talk to Seasonic about a replacement.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
You can get a PSU test for pretty cheap. That said you have more than enough wattage to run your rig even heavily overclocked. If your PSU is bad, you are still well within the warranty so you can talk to Seasonic about a replacement.
Where and how can I test my PSU? So far, it's only been with that one game that I've had the issue of a hard crash, meaning that my PC turns off like the power is cut off it. So I'm thinking it's either a fault with the PSU, or something inside of my case is causing it.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Also another quick question, I was checking the user manual from Seasonic, which states that you should use a PCIe cable with one extra power connecter on it than needed on the GPU. Right now I'm using one with 2 connecters, on my GPU that uses 2 intakes. Could the issue then perhaps be solved with another cable or would that be a waste of time?

https://seasonic.com/pub/media/pdf/consumer/user-manual/multilingual-user-manual.pdf

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
It's highly doubtful it's the psu. If d be inclined to believe it's a temp issue.
I tested it during the game for an hour today before it crashed. Max temp on motherboard was 67 degrees celcius, CPU was at around 71 degrees and GPU never went above 65 degrees. I though it was the issue at first, but my computer is completely silent during the run, until it shuts down completely.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Pre 2019 Focus Plus has issues with high powerspike gpu's, see the PSU Tierlist. I've seen Focus Plus Gold 750w tripping with 3060 Ti. You have to replace the psu to solve the problem.
Do you have a link to the tier list you mentioned, just so i can check it? If you're right, then perhaps the warranty would give me a post 2019 PSU that should solve the issue

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Take a look in Windows event viewer, look for red flagged critical errors.

I'm having a hard time believing that a psu simply doesn't like one game, and isn't bothered by others or any other app.

The only way I can see that happening is if the other games aren't using as high a power draw as RDD2, and it's been a good long while since the dust filter underneath was cleaned and the psu is eventually overheating and tripping thermal protections.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Noctua NH-D15 CPU cooler

Yeah.. Ampere on Seasonic PSUs can be fun.

Try this: Find the +12V sense wire. It's the one that has the double wire on the 24-pin and the skinny 22g wire on the 10-pin that plugs into the PSU.

http://jongerow.com/images/Seasonic pinout.jpg

If you can, pop that pin out of the 10-pin connector. Don't worry. It's just a sense wire that reports voltages back to the PSU. Sort of like a built in DMM. Sometimes I've found that the card can feed noise back to the PSU that causes the supervisor IC to freak out and shut down.

So yeah... pop that pin out and try again and see if it works.

Solution

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Take a look in Windows event viewer, look for red flagged critical errors.

I'm having a hard time believing that a psu simply doesn't like one game, and isn't bothered by others or any other app.

The only way I can see that happening is if the other games aren't using as high a power draw as RDD2, and it's been a good long while since the dust filter underneath was cleaned and the psu is eventually overheating and tripping thermal protections.
I haven't done anything to the PSU since I bought it 3 years ago, so it might be dusty inside of it.

As for Event Viewer, I went into the Critical tab, and found this information that I've screenshot:
HcbSD3O.png

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017

Try this: Find the +12V sense wire. It's the one that has the double wire on the 24-pin and the skinny 22g wire on the 10-pin that plugs into the PSU.

If you can, pop that pin out of the 10-pin connector. Don't worry. It's just a sense wire that reports voltages back to the PSU. Sort of like a built in DMM. Sometimes I've found that the card can feed noise back to the PSU that causes the supervisor IC to freak out and shut down.

Thanks, I'll try it out and see if that helps :)

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017

Do you have a wait to point out exactly which one on the image that is the one to unplug? I'm not fully sure which one it is.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Do you have a wait to point out exactly which one on the image that is the one to unplug? I'm not fully sure which one it is.
It's the top 4-th from the left pin on 10-pin connector on the PSU if you look at the PSU itself, if you look at the cable then it's 4-th at the top row (the row opposite to the one with the clip on it's side) from the right. If you follow this wire to the 24-pin motherboard connector it should go into the same pin there with the another wire, this way you know you're looking at the right one.
But something tells me this is not a PSU issue actually.
Sometimes I've found that the card can feed noise back to the PSU that causes the supervisor IC to freak out and shut down.
Shouldn't it latch of in that case ? It looks like OP's having reboots, not shutdowns.
@Dreamstreet What is it ? It reboots or shutdowns ? If it shuts down, can you start the PC again right away ?

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
I think I've solved it by adding a second PCIe cable between PSU and GPU, so it's not one cable with 2 connections on the GPU. Tested it out in the game, played for 2 hours without any issues so far.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
It's the top 4-th from the left pin on 10-pin connector on the PSU if you look at the PSU itself, if you look at the cable then it's 4-th at the top row (the row opposite to the one with the clip on it's side) from the right. If you follow this wire to the 24-pin motherboard connector it should go into the same pin there with the another wire, this way you know you're looking at the right one.
But something tells me this is not a PSU issue actually.

Shouldn't it latch of in that case ? It looks like OP's having reboots, not shutdowns.
@Dreamstreet What is it ? It reboots or shutdowns ? If it shuts down, can you start the PC again right away ?
It's a full on shut down, like ripping the power cable out of the PC. Then I have to disconnect the power cable for about 30 seconds, then replug it and it works perfectly again. If I try turning it on without doing that, it just won't react at all.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
It's a full on shut down, like ripping the power cable out of the PC. Then I have to disconnect the power cable for about 30 seconds, then replug it and it works perfectly again. If I try turning it on without doing that, it just won't react at all.
Yeah, that's definitely what Jon was talking about then, try the v-sense wire thing.
Edit: i see, you solved it by connecting the GPU with two separate cables, might help actually.

Dreamstreet

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2017
Yeah, that's definitely what Jon was talking about then, try the v-sense wire thing.
Edit: i see, you solved it by connecting the GPU with two separate cables, might help actually.
I'll see if it solves the issue over the next couple of days. If it persists, then I'll try the wire thing and see if that helps. Worst thing, I'll just try getting a new PSU.

So both the prime and the focus have problems on the 12V sense wire? I thought these are two different issues, where the focus is something related to OCP while the prime is the one you're talking about?