[SOLVED] A weird sound card destruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
I was just sitting with my earphones on doing the usual when suddenly i get electrecuted in my ear and the sound does away, i unglug and replug them sound with a lot gibberish, so i try me headphones same thing i use them on phone everything working fine, so i try front io and back io it's same so i go search for sound settings and i don't find them so, i restarted my pc and still the same so i rinstalled the sound drivers and now i get sound settings but it's kinda worse if i go above 50% i hear nothing but gshhhhh and above 70% the sound disappear, i got my had electrcuted 3 time while plugging and unplugging the cables, my house isn't grounded and i always had some case electrocution before when tiuching certain areas and i've been getting some weird io stuff happeing for a while, so i want to know what is the problem, is it mobo or a psu problem? i really don't want to lose more components plz

Last edited:
Solution
The idea with respect to grounding is that if the case (or any electrical device, appliance, tool) comes in contact with an internal voltage source the current will go to ground (earth) via the grounding wire.

Otherwise the current will find another path - i.e., the person holding the tool, wearing the earphones, touching the appliance.

So what has happened likely falls in the realm of good fortune. None of the other machines and devices have had some internal "short" or an electrical connection to the host case. So even if ungrounded there is no immediate path.

However in your situation something is wrong: in your computer some contact is being made between live voltage and the case.

Instead of escaping to ground (because...

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
And it happened when i was downloading new nvidia drivers but i don't think download have anything to do with such thing, my pc haven't been cleaned for 2-3months i'm not sure such amount of dust should affect anything i have a 700w cougar psu for a 6600k and gtx1060 so i guess the psu shouldn't be stressed and should handle the pc easely, it seem more like a grounding or mobo issue, unless there is a defect in my psu which i had for more than 4 years, but always had the electrified pc case that electrecute me on touch but, now it was so powerful it stung me from a distance while plugging the headphones which never happened before, could that be a static electricity thing? Cause as far as i know static electricity doesn't affect anything if the pc is turned on, i seem more like sorcery to me now, the pc hadn't been turned off for about 5 days, and my wirless acted weird a couple of time latley starting to gwt plug and unplugged suddenly, i had such problems before but were very rare, like mouse stop working or jump locations, and usbs get plugfed and unplugged but very rare

Ralston18

Titan
This: " my house isn't grounded".

The problem is that electricity is getting from someplace it should be to someplace ( computer, earphones) where electricity should not be.

Grounding is necessary to prevent such things.

And if the electrocutions just started then some problem is developing or getting worse.

Not the kind of problem that can be fixed by mobo or psu per se.

Get an electrician.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
This: " my house isn't grounded".

The problem is that electricity is getting from someplace it should be to someplace ( computer, earphones) where electricity should not be.

Grounding is necessary to prevent such things.

And if the electrocutions just started then some problem is developing or getting worse.

Not the kind of problem that can be fixed by mobo or psu per se.

Get an electrician.

Shouldn't all electroc machines have problems with that? Cause i have more tuan 20-30 years old machines still running in this house and as far as i know pc and deal well with no grounded houses by throwing the elecrricity in the case itself which made me think electrecutes case would be normal in this case

Ralston18

Titan
The idea with respect to grounding is that if the case (or any electrical device, appliance, tool) comes in contact with an internal voltage source the current will go to ground (earth) via the grounding wire.

Otherwise the current will find another path - i.e., the person holding the tool, wearing the earphones, touching the appliance.

So what has happened likely falls in the realm of good fortune. None of the other machines and devices have had some internal "short" or an electrical connection to the host case. So even if ungrounded there is no immediate path.

However in your situation something is wrong: in your computer some contact is being made between live voltage and the case.

Instead of escaping to ground (because there is no ground) and protecting you the current flows through you to ground.

You get shocked.

Likely low voltage from the 3, 5, or 12 volt rails within the PSU.

However if the short is at the 120 or 240 volt supply voltage the shock could be fatally worse.

What you must do is get an electrician to determine the source of the current and get the house properly grounded.

The situation and consequences are likely to get worse....

Solution

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014

Instead of escaping to ground (because there is no ground) and protecting you the current flows through you to ground.

You get shocked.

Likely low voltage from the 3, 5, or 12 volt rails within the PSU.

However if the short is at the 120 or 240 volt supply voltage the shock could be fatally worse.

What you must do is get an electrician to determine the source of the current and get the house properly grounded.

The situation and consequences are likely to get worse....
Ty do you know anything about grounded plugs that don'r require to ground the whole house?

Ralston18

Titan
You do not want to and should not do that. See "Plug Adapters" in the following link:

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-grounding-1152859

Electricity looks for the path of least resistance.

If you ground just one outlet/plug/device then that could become the proverbial "lightning rod" through which current will come back through.

All it takes is one mis-wired connection or some fault to develop. Worn insulation from rubbing (wind, vibrations), rodent chews. ground changes - swelling, collapsing, erosion. Or a faulty device plugged in somewhere...

An exposed hot wire then creates a current going to the nearest and easiest ground/earth. But the current can take multiple paths as lightning does in the sky.

You need to protect the whole house for the sake of all who live there.

Get an electrician to check the circuits and outlets. Find the source voltage and get the entire house grounded.

samstalker

Honorable
Nov 5, 2014
You do not want to and should not do that. See "Plug Adapters" in the following link:

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-grounding-1152859

Electricity looks for the path of least resistance.

If you ground just one outlet/plug/device then that could become the proverbial "lightning rod" through which current will come back through.

All it takes is one mis-wired connection or some fault to develop. Worn insulation from rubbing (wind, vibrations), rodent chews. ground changes - swelling, collapsing, erosion. Or a faulty device plugged in somewhere...

An exposed hot wire then creates a current going to the nearest and easiest ground/earth. But the current can take multiple paths as lightning does in the sky.

You need to protect the whole house for the sake of all who live there.

Get an electrician to check the circuits and outlets. Find the source voltage and get the entire house grounded.
Well ty but fir the momment i can't afford that

Reactions: Vapormax

Ralston18

Titan
Contact your electrical company.

They are usually responsible for service just up to and at your power meter. Tell them about the shocking and get them to verify that all is okay on their side.

Any knowledgeable family members or friends?

Do not want you to violate any local laws, codes, or requirements but you should be able to have someone at least take a look at the electrical situation where you live.

Maybe discover the root problem somewhere in the home's electrical circuits: outlets, switches, wiring. Then pay to just get that problem fixed versus paying for the electrician to look for and diagnose the problem.

Remember that the consequences of not fixing the problem may become far more expensive than an electrician.

Reactions: Vapormax
Status
Not open for further replies.