Discussion A Win11 Quirk...

Apr 21, 2024
I'm currently in the process of reinstalling windows on my pc as a first (of probably many) attempt(s) to fix my pc regarding my previous post.

And this happened:

On my primary monitor it is fully occupied by the update. But on my secondary monitor, I still have full functionality of my pc...

I'm not particularly after any answers as it seems to still be installing fine hence "discussion" not "question" but I'm still happy to chat about any speculation as to why.

Link to vid of what's happening: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JrWJwwasggs8qipePNm2cEKxpQKApx-w/view?usp=drivesdk
Godspeed

Update: so this just happened as soon as I hit post... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ju-dLEg4wPtSC_GjNgbpGG46YCnFWUEc/view?usp=drivesdk

Colif

Win 11 Master
is it still installing?

I don't have two monitors so can't comment on what is normal on a 2nd display during an install.

How are installing windows? I have to assume you didn't boot off the installer as it wouldn't be showing anything on 2nd screen.
you not doing this:

Reactions: Order 66
Apr 21, 2024
N
is it still installing?

I don't have two monitors so can't comment on what is normal on a 2nd display during an install.

How are installing windows? I have to assume you didn't boot off the installer as it wouldn't be showing anything on 2nd screen.
you not doing this:
Nope not installing anymore, pc crashed and required manual restart. this is similar to an event in my past post.

I am reinstalling the way I have always done, load win11 files from Microsoft store (the way advised) on a separate laptop. Plug usb into broken pc, open up usb. Click on setup.exe, follow options (including keep files and applications) let it reinstall - this has normally worked for me in the past, but it's my first time using two monitors in the process admittedly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
That is a repair install. It seems strange to me that it lets you do anything on the 2nd monitor when its running an install.

I would suggest a clean install and if you still run into problems, need to look at hardware.

Clean will use that USB but you boot off it and it wipes windows completely and starts with new drivers. Since you only have one drive, I would copy any info you need to keep as it will be deleted during a clean install. After a clean install, only thing on PC will be windows. Unless you had multiple physic drives, it ignores all the other drives. but I see you don't

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte Radeon RX 7800XT
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Max WiFi AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengance 32gb (2x16gb) 3200MHz DDR4 RAM
Crucial P3 Plus 1TB PCIe Gen4 M.2 NVMe SSD
Corsair 750W RM750e 80+ Gold Power Supply

So don't do it unless you ready.

You are only one bios behind so it shouldn't be cause. Shame ubuysa didn't see other thread in time.

Apr 21, 2024
That is a repair install. It seems strange to me that it lets you do anything on the 2nd monitor when its running an install.

I would suggest a clean install and if you still run into problems, need to look at hardware.

Clean will use that USB but you boot off it and it wipes windows completely and starts with new drivers. Since you only have one drive, I would copy any info you need to keep as it will be deleted during a clean install. After a clean install, only thing on PC will be windows. Unless you had multiple physic drives, it ignores all the other drives. but I see you don't

So don't do it unless you ready.

You are only one bios behind so it shouldn't be cause. Shame ubuysa didn't see other thread in time.
I've just found that my chipset drivers have been installed incorrectly, I'm following this trail before doing a clean install.

I'm hesitant on doing a clean install as I have a squillion gigs of data installed which will take time to create backups of (I have backups but they're like a week old now).

I will of course do a clean install if everything points to it as a last resort.

Apr 21, 2024
https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/chipsets/am4/b550.html

I can't remember last PC I had that only had one drive in it. I had a rash of bad luck a long time ago and got to point I needed at least two drives in case windows died and I needed to reinstall. Windows and drives are better now, its a distant memory and yet I still have 3 drives. One is empty though.
Firstly, some backfilling of maybe relevant info:

Sfc scannow found corruption and fixed it - this led me to find the missing drivers

Dskchk returned fine for c:drive as well

Secondly, I have a bunch of other drives installed too (a combination of ssd active use and hdd cold storage), I just listed my c drive in my specs in other post.

Thirdly, I've installed the new drivers and will see how my pc goes. Expect an update here within 24h

Colif

Win 11 Master
could try this as well, more complicated take on fixing windows

open powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter
Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented
First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

Reactions: cald175
Apr 21, 2024
could try this as well, more complicated take on fixing windows

open powershell (admin)
copy/paste this command into window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter
Then type SFC /scannow
and press enter
Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented
First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files
SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11
sigh i guess ill have to do this now, experiencing blue screens again after 3 days of freedom