Question A15 vs Arctic P14?

Apr 11, 2024
Hey! I bought a NZXT H7 elite (2023) case with the case fans (3 front and 1 exhaust) and installed Ryzen 5 7600 with the stock cooler.
Even with a proper fan curve, the noise has been driving me up the wall.
I decided, and have purchased, DH-15 CPU cooler and five Arctic P14 case fans (value pack).

Now my question is:
My plan is to replace the 3 intake fans of the case with the p14 fans and the exhaust fan with either a p14 fan or the extra fan from the DH-15 CPU cooler.

My goal is to get the computer running as silently as possible (without compromising temperatures too much).

1) Do I need to use both fans on the DH-15? I dont overclock, and my GPU is the rx 6700xt (if thats relevant).
2) Would the extra fan from the DH-15 perform better in terms of noise and temperature compared to the Arctic p14?

Ps: I know that there is a different Noctua CPU fan that is more or less identitcal to the DH-15, only with one fan. I didn't know this when I purchased a DH-15 used on the internet, so I dont need tips to buy this one instead :)

You are likely over thinking this.

Just using a better cooler is going to allow you to run all the fans at lower RPM.

The fans on stock coolers tend to be loud and just replacing that might have been enough.

It is all going to be trial and error since all kinds of stuff like how the fans interact with any particular case will affect the noise.

I strongly suspect you will now start hearing the GPU fans and there is not much you can do about those. GPU fans a very loud when you exceed say 75% speed.

Reactions: doffo885
1) Do I need to use both fans on the DH-15? I dont overclock, and my GPU is the rx 6700xt (if thats relevant).
Try and see, what temperature difference you get with single fan vs two fans.
Probably need both.
2) Would the extra fan from the DH-15 perform better in terms of noise and temperature compared to the Arctic p14?
Do not expect significant difference between fans.
Different noise levels get generated mainly by different rotational speeds.

Lutfij

Titan
1| I would keep the fan setup on the NH-D15 as is, without recycling the fans on the case. Even if you don't overclock it would mean temps being lower when compared to a single fan setup.

2| Anything you do is a step above the stock cooler.

I would get another Arctic fan at the rear to match the front fans.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
Now my question is:
My plan is to replace the 3 intake fans of the case with the p14 fans and the exhaust fan with either a p14 fan or the extra fan from the DH-15 CPU cooler.
The optional Noctua fan is not designed for case ventilation but that means squat. Use it if you like. However, you have the better fan already, and the optional Noctua will help you run the CPU cooler and quieter.
My goal is to get the computer running as silently as possible (without compromising temperatures too much).

You don't need to use the optional fan. When i built my new PC i ran only the single fan. Which i also mounted upside down so it blew warm air onto the GPU but that's besides the point.

Eventually i installed the optional fan. Correctly mounting them both. I also used the Low-Noise adapters supplied.
I had no problems with the single fan, so there was no need to add the other one. I guess i just didn't want it to sit unused. I also contemplated using it as an exhaust fan, but because of the orientation of my cooler (up/down), the Noctuas blow air upwards and out, so the optional fan ends up doing double duty as an exhaust fan anyway.

Not that it does much. It's the laziest fan ever, spinning so slowly i can count the blades as it spins. But, crucially it keeps the CPU around 36C when idle and is dead silent. Silent enough that i cannot hear the PC at all during the day, and could not tell if it was on or off by hearing alone.
If this is what you want, do not be affraid to mount the optional fan. It will not increase noise. It may even run more quielty because you have more air moving over the cooler.

Do you mean as a CPU cooler fan or case fan? As case fans, they are about equal as neither is designed for case ventilation but for radiators.
But really there is nothing at all stopping you from using them any way you like.

I would prefer using the Noctua on the CPU cooler to mixing fans, but other than that, no preference.
Ps: I know that there is a different Noctua CPU fan that is more or less identitcal to the DH-15, only with one fan. I didn't know this when I purchased a DH-15 used on the internet, so I dont need tips to buy this one instead :)
It's really the same cooler, they just don't ship the optional fan in the box. Not sure about 2 LN adapters, maybe they include them?

One more thing. When installing case fans, try to leave space between intake fans and top exhaust fans. A top exhaust fan mounted too far forward will suck out air pulled in by the front intake fans.

Your goal can be achieved. The 140mm fans move a lot of air and will keep motherboard temps low and help keep the GPU cool. The GPU will not spin it's fans unless it needs to, and usually when it needs to, you're also making noise gaming.

If you find your case fans too noisy, you may try the BioniX series from Arctic, or Silent Wings from beQuiet. I have a Bionix P120 as an exhaust and it's pretty quiet esp. with a custom fan/temp curve.
I also use a pair of Fractal Design Aspect 14 fans as intake, and they are very, very quiet. I don't know that i would go out and buy them, but they came with the case and they work well.