A7A266 with Athlon1.4 Overheating and crashing

G

Just upgraded from a p3 550 to an Athlong 1.4 and was really excited. Now any type of directX game will either lock up or crash, and the temp of the MB and CPU seem to be really hot. I've got the case open and two extra case fans pointing right on the cpu and it still runs at 140 to 150 while playing games. I'm using an AMD approved fan and a 400 watt power supply. Any Ideas?

System:
Chip: Athlon 1.4 Ghz 266 FSB
Board: Asus A7A266 bios rev 1.006 beta 1
Video: Asus 3800 TNT2
RAM : 768 megs pc133
HD : WD 18 gig, IBM 20 gig
Sound: SB Live Value
Dir.X: 8.0a
Power: 400 Watt power supply
Problem: Machine frequently crashes during games. Some will Lock up and just repeat the sound, others will just crash to desktop or to full reboot.

G

the MB came with 1.004 installed on it. Nothing changed when I put 1.006 beta 1 on it.

G

#1 - I have on it Cooler Master EP5-6I11 which is recommended by AMD.

#2 - Its an InWin ATX Mid tower. I have the sides off at the moment to try to minimize the heat.

#3 - One in the front, one in the rear, and 2 setup so they poing right on the cpu fan

G

I just looked and my Video, Network card, and Sound Card are all on IRQ 9 even though they are spaced evenly on the MB. Any ideas if that might be helping cause problems?
-Raine

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Video, Network card, and Sound Card are all on IRQ 9 even though they are spaced evenly on the MB
ACPI is enabled. Usually doesn't affect stability, but has been known to in some cases. If this is your problem you should be able to disable it in the BIOS.

Question, is this the case in both 98 AND 2K, or just 2K?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

There seems to be a problem with the CPU not having a good contact with the heat sink. Have you installed the HSF or have you bought it ready? If you choose to remove the HSF in order to reinstall it be very carefull not to crush the CPU core by applying uneven forces to it during installation. Another thing you should look is if the fan that on the heat sink works and if it does at how many RPM (rounds per minute), 4000 and up is good, you can check the RPM from the bios or using the utilities that came with the motherboard, from windows.

G

OK, I've removed ACPI and set my 'puter to a standard PC. Heatsink is seated properly. I'm wondering if it has something to do with a combo of my Video card and sound card. What would cause a game to lock up and have the sound just loop itself?

-Raine

people who keep dogs are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.

G

Well, I don't have the A7A266 just yet (mine should arrive tomorrow), but I've been reading up at places like the AMDMB forums (www.amdmb.com), and people have reported:

1. the sensor on the A7A266 reads temperatures 10° (Celsius) hotter than it should be
2. soundblaster's cards have compatibility issues with A7A266 and A7V133
3. there are issues with video cards, and maybe you should update the AGP drivers (ALI Northbridge) (latest version is 1.80 I think... www.ali.com.tw)

I'm just reporting what I've read. So, I'm guessing you can't trust the temperature readings the motherboard sensors give with the newer BIOS. For the sound, if you have the A7A with integrated audio, try removing the SB Live. I doubt it's the power source or heat, since it seems you've done all you can with those two. Hope you get things worked out though.

:wink: <i>sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken</i>

G

I'm having exactly the same problem... 1.4, thermosonic thermoengine 7K rpm fan, SB Live, and GF3,,,

after going to rev 1006 beta 1, when I try to install my live when it detect SB16 Emu.ation.. my machine GPF's.

also heat problems.. STILL !

I'm going to BIOS rev 1005 Final tonight to C i that sorts my problems...